Too ambitious? (Read 1420 times)

hairbag27

i don't bike. haven't ridden a bike in years. this is a charity ride, that i will likely regret. marathon is in October. maybe i'll get it this year maybe i won't. it'll be fun trying. i need something to keep me motivated. thanks all for the advice. i'll commit to adding miles immediately and will let you all know how it turns out.
      Awesome.
      That's two sig tags I've given you. I feel privileged. Smile
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That's two sig tags I've given you. I feel privileged. Smile
        You're eminently quotable. Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You are averaging 50 mile a MONTH. Yes, your goal is ambitious. Try running 50 miles a week. Then you have a maybe going for your quest. Until then, you are just dreaming. Quit dreaming and do. If life is getting in the way, keep dreaming. It's up to you really.
          You tell 'em Willamona. Congrats on your shiny new BQ!
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Hawt and sexy

Meh, just sayin. Thanks though, I think I might try a peak phase for the next one I race just to see what happens.

I'm touching your pants.

Runner

Get a training plan and stick to it. I noticed that before your previous marathon you were doing 20 mile long runs with 5 miles of base mileage in the same week. I don' think doing that will help you in preparing for an attempt at a much faster marathon. It might get you hurt though. I don't think it really matters which plan you use either as long as you find one you think will work for you because if you believe in your plan and find one that alligns with your goals it will most likely get you there. Good luck.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

I would forget the marathon for the time being as you are far too inconsistent to have 3:20 as a realistic target. Just get running consistently first and try a couple of shorter races to guage where you are. If I where you I'd try and get in shape to run a mean 10k later in the summer. If you can clock around 44-45 minutes then you are moving in the right direction. To run 3:57 off the training you did shows there's some good potential in there, I'd just hold off as big a goal as a 3:20 marathon until you've tapped a bit deeper.
                  Lance Armstrong barely broke 3:00 a couple of years ago, and he has all the money and training help in the world. Plus he has a VO2 max of like 60 plus. So although on paper it looks and sounds easy to take it down a minute a mile, it would be a very good effort to knock off a minute per mile without doing everything right and nothing wrong.
                    Anything is Possible, follow a Marathon training program for advanced runners. Don't take any shortcuts. You will have a shot at 3:20. MTA, I viewed your training times. and feel you have more than a shot at 3:20 follow a proper training program.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius