Endurance Athlete (Read 862 times)

I dont think an elite athlete would have much trouble breaking 3. 

I doubt they could break 3 without training for it. Cyclists probably have the closest training, and Lance Armstrong barely broke 3 hours on his first marathon. He trained specifically for the marathon the next year and ran a 2:46.

--

Nashville, TN

kcam

What Djokovic  (and Nadal) accomplished in getting to and playing that Final is amazing.  Contrast their match to Azarenka/Sharapova's 6-3,6-0 joke of a final.  As a tennis fan,  I want to see good women's tennis too - wish they'd change the rules to get these ladies playing best-of-five in majors.  Don't ask any of these ladies to run a marathon or an ultra!

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gametheory/2012/01/gender-and-tennis

JPF

The tennis guys might translate fairly well to marathon running because they're more-or-less running on their feet for hours at a time.  Still, they get a fair number of breaks, even if it's just between serves.  Basketball players, while in great shape I'm sure, get a lot of breaks from running and some of those breaks are fairly lengthy.  Cyclists are in terrific aerobic condition, but I suspect it's the pounding that does them in as they don't run at all (unless just for fun or cross-training).  The Armstrong article linked earlier suggests that he was hurting pretty bad by the end of his first marathon.  I suspect it's pretty easy for a good cyclist to get hurt while taking up running because aerobic capacity is so far beyond the ability of the joints, bones, etc. to take the pounding.  Their lungs and heart can run forever at good pace, but everything else, not so much. 

The other thing to bear in mind is that weight makes a huge difference for endurance runners - but not necessarily so much for these other sports. In cycling climbers need to be light, but not everyone in the peleton can climb well - on the flat you're not lifting your own weight with each step so it's not such a big deal. A tennis player  doesn't need to be as lean as a runner to perform well at tennis. I bet if you spent some time comparing the BMIs of elite marathoners with those of elites from other sports you'd see this effect...

MTA: In tennis height can be quite an advantage, because of the importance of the serve; but very few elite distance runners are tall, most are rather short compare with average heights.

Guys, obviously take the discussion wherever you like. Just that my original point was not about whether the skills are transferable to running, or what have you.  

I was just admiring Djokovic's tremendous endurance and maintained focus.  I don't think we need to take it out of the tennis context to appreciate it. 

It was just an amazing thing.  I am starting to enjoy following tennis, a lot.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Cool. That will give you the chance to follow competitive sports played in Flushing.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Ha.  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Guys, obviously take the discussion wherever you like. Just that my original point was not about whether the skills are transferable to running, or what have you.  

I was just admiring Djokovic's tremendous endurance and maintained focus.  I don't think we need to take it out of the tennis context to appreciate it. 

+1

Apologies for sidetracking this.

Now way, man.  Just wanted to clarify.