Is there an app for that? (Read 239 times)

icom100

Im sure this has been asked before, but I can't find it. Don't you guys have an Android app for this? Its kinda tough trying to negotiate this website with anything smaller than a Galaxy Note.
    cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

The homepage of this site mentions "Handy Runner" as an Android app that works with this site.  I have iOS so I use the newer app "Run Forth" which works nicely.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

mikeymike

Handy Runner is a 3rd party app that was developed by a user and is no longer being maintained by the developer (Derek). You can use it to log a run either manually or automatically using the phone's GPS but there is no access to the forums. There may be some compatibility issues with current devices/versions of Android, since there hasn't been an update since September of 2010.

On the other hand, I negotiate the site just fine from my Moto XT907 (aka Razr M) which is on of the smallest smartphones you can find anymore.

Runners run

MorisetteStevens

Handy Runner is a 3rd party app that was developed by a user and is no longer being maintained by the developer (Derek). You can use it to log a run either manually or automatically using the phone's GPS but there is no access to the forums. There may be some compatibility issues with current devices/versions of Android, since there hasn't been an update since September of 2010.

On the other hand, I negotiate the site just fine from my Moto XT907 (aka Razr M) which is on of the smallest smartphones you can find anymore.

I have a note 2. Will be downloading this one and I am not even aware there's an app for this. COol.. I hope this won't give me pain in the neck after the download. Thanks guys!

icom100

Im wondering why RunningAhead doesn't put out the bucks and have a good app for Android made. It would boost the use of their site. smh

eric :)

Im wondering why RunningAhead doesn't put out the bucks and have a good app for Android made. It would boost the use of their site. smh

Hi icom100,

It's the same reason you haven't build a state of the art training facility for yourself: money.  The site is free if you don't mind the ads.  You can also pay $10 a year to get rid of them.  Much of the money from ads and subscriptions go to keeping three sets of servers running in three different geographic locations to ensure your data is safe in the event of a catastrophic event.

I have a long list of features on my todo list.  I like to think that I'm a good programmer but my resources are very limited.  If every user that uses RA regularly contribute just $5 a year, there would be enough money to hire multiple programmers and get rid of the ads.  Until then, it'll be just me working on it.

eric Smile

Member Since 2008

And we appreciate you and what you do Eric.  Thanks

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

And we appreciate you and what you do Eric.  Thanks

Yes we do!

steph  

icom100

Hi icom100,

It's the same reason you haven't build a state of the art training facility for yourself: money.  The site is free if you don't mind the ads.  You can also pay $10 a year to get rid of them.  Much of the money from ads and subscriptions go to keeping three sets of servers running in three different geographic locations to ensure your data is safe in the event of a catastrophic event.

I have a long list of features on my todo list.  I like to think that I'm a good programmer but my resources are very limited.  If every user that uses RA regularly contribute just $5 a year, there would be enough money to hire multiple programmers and get rid of the ads.  Until then, it'll be just me working on it.

eric Smile

Firstly, I like what you have here. Secondly you don't have to get snippy and defensive. I asked a legit question. I think you've done a good job with the site. Evidently you do have some money if you have three sets of servers available. I never said anything about your programming ability. Im sure you've been asked that question before. Maybe it's the millionth time you've heard it. Fine. But the only alternative Ive seen as an answer is an old out of date app that really doesn't do your website justice. If you want to invoke your authority to kick me off here, that's your call. But just remember that people are always going to give you constructive criticizm. It might behoove you to be a little more humble. That's all Ive got to say.

Brian Oakley

Eric just gave you an honest and direct answer. I don't know where you're getting "snippy and defensive" from. He certainly never threatened to kick you off the site. It might behoove you to be a little less dramatic.

Amy

runmichigan

I think you need to be less dramatic.  Eric gave you a simple direct answer.  You chose to take offense at his response when none was given.

We all need to remember that this is an excellent service provided to the running community for no cost or a very small cost.  His service is better than many other services provided at much higher cost.  And Eric provides this service by himself.

icom100

The answer he gave came off very condesending. He didnt have to go into detal about "me not building a state of the art fitness facility" or about how much he puts into his three server system, or how good a programmer he is. All he had to say was the resources wouldnt allow for it at this time. But he chose to take it to the other extreme. Maybe you need to look in the other direction for the dramatics.

Brian Oakley

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

icom, if you don't like how this site is run, please remember you are free to leave.

Many of us are very thankful to have a place like RA and will be protective of it.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

keeponrunning

icom, if you don't like how this site is run, please remember you are free to leave.

Many of us are very thankful to have a place like RA and will be protective of it.

+1.

Also, I'm another one who has no trouble using the site from my Android.  I have a Galaxy S3 and both log runs and check the forums from my phone.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Say goodbye, Mr. Brian Oakley.  You are in the wrong place.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth