Boston Marathon 2012 (Read 2370 times)

bhearn

Hmm, maybe I should be glad Boston turned out the way it did.

xor

And by the way, Robert, congratulations. That's pretty impressive! But just think what you could have done wearing the jacket. 75 degrees is still cold for you, right?

for the record, I wore two shirts the whole day. I had on gloves and arm warmers until m30. heh.

Julia1971

So is it really snowing there now?

What to do after you run a slow Boston with an 11 minute positive split:

Six days later you run a 50 miler in 75 degree heat, come in 6th (4th masters... I was passed for 3rd in the last mile, dammit), and set a PR by 76 minutes.

I did not wear the Sweet Jacket.

(I ran an 8:04. I was pacing to run sub-8.  And indeed, when my Garmin chirped "lap 50", I was at 7:55. Too bad this race is actually 51 miles long. I lingered at aid stations just a wee bit much).

Impressive that you finished.  Setting a PR by 76 minutes is crazy.  Well done!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I figured it depended on what the focus was.  Battling the scorecard (or clock, in the case of running), I

I did not train for Boston. BQ 3:37:38(3:45). Ultra training for 100 M in December. Ran 3 ultras in March. 12 HR(52 m) 4/10-- 35 miler March 17--24 HR(61m) 4/31. The plan:sight see and enjoy the moment. The knee decide enough is enough. Eight days before Boston all I could do was ice,elevate and heat. I was racing the clock at Boston. At 6.5 miles I was sure the clock would win! 5:01:19 would not trade it for a 1st AG anywhere else.

PS: Mile 17(1:30 PM) it became a battle against  the heat.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Email from a fellow runner

The bottom line is that I appreciate your thoughts, calls, emails and texts all of which conveyed the love, support, energy and encouragement which are part and parcel of being a Partner. It's  that energy that got me through what the UK's Daily Mail newspaper described as the "Boston Massacre".    With race day temperatures soaring into the high 80's thousands of runners dropped out, including last year's winner (who also set the course record in 2011).  4300 runners (16%) didn't even start the race because of the heat, while 75 were hospitalized and another 2100 required medical aid on the course.  A 10:20 am start (equivalent to a 11:20 am start in Atlanta since sunrise occurs an hour early in Boston) didn't help.

Though I trained in Atlanta I wasn't as acclimated to the temperatures as I thought I would be and the temperature continually reset my goal finish time, until at the halfway point I completely abandoned all target finishing times, and just decided to enjoy the experience. Although during the race I didn't attribute my deteriorating pace to the weather but instead to some missing element in my training or some unknown deficiency in my preparation.  It wasn't until I spoke with a dozen other finishers from around the world that I found out I was in good company.  I spoke with runners from France, Mexico, San Francisco, Austin, Portland, Hawaii, and elsewhere and they had all missed their goal finish time by anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour-and-a-half. 

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Nit, it was 79 in Hopkinton at 10 am (though they told us over the speakers it was already over 80). Probably was over 80 for the 2nd wave.

It hit 89 in Newton by 12:30, when we were still out there.

I recall that announcement and it sounded about right as my face was melting in the corral.   Later, when I watched the replay on UniversalSports.com, they kept displaying a start temp of 70F and saying it was GOING to get warm.  Huh?   Perhaps it's because 70F in a crowd feels a lot warmer?  Or maybe they were talking out their rear ends? 

Regardless, even with adjusted pacing (not conservative enough), the rest of me had melted by Wellesley so I shut it down and jogged.  Oddly, I felt better in the heat @ Newton but I'd run through a few car washes by then.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Kalsarikännit

I have to throw just a tiny bit more love Boston's way, so bear with me.  When I ran Boston it was even more of a cool experience because I got to go to Fenway the day before the race.  It was my first time there.  I had always wanted to go, and it was fun to see how different it is from Wrigley.  

This is why I bring this up:  I am racing (I use that term loosely) in Minneapolis in three weeks.  It would be great to see their new stadium.  I just looked up the Twinkie's schedule.  They have two road series around the time I will be there (arrrgh!).  What's worse, the Cubs will be in town the following weekend (ARRRGH!).  Twice I have raced in Cleveland.  A chance to hit The Jake (yeah, I still call it that).  Nope.  Kansas City.  Kauffman.  Nope.  I can go on, but trust me, this has happened in a bunch of cities.  My point is, I think MLB has gotten hold of my race schedule and is out to get me.

Thank goodness for Boston's longstanding Patriot's Day tradition.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

L Train

Hey Wriggs, I've been all of those places, but never to Nepal. 

Kalsarikännit

Hey Wriggs, I've been all of those places, but never to Nepal. 

You'd be surprised by the lack of good ballyards there.  A shame, 18,000 ft would be a sluggers dream.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

Last time I was at Wrigley, Harry Caray sang Take Me Out to the Ballgame. It was his last season. I'm so glad we went there, then. (DW and I both went to NU).

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Julia1971

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/05/24/boston-marathon-grants-2160-deferments/

A few more deferrals eligible

Apparently, picking up my friends' bags was a waste of my time.  Although, I did loot their swag.  I should probably make sure there's nothing else in there I want before I give them up.

Imminent Catastrophe

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/05/24/boston-marathon-grants-2160-deferments/

A few more deferrals eligible

Over 2000 deferrals. How many who qualified won't get in next year because of this? Up to 2000. This was a terrible, cover-your-ass move by BAA. Look people, if you're not prepared to run in less than ideal conditions, too bad. Either withdraw or deal with it.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Over 2000 deferrals. How many who qualified won't get in next year because of this? Up to 2000. This was a terrible, cover-your-ass move by BAA. Look people, if you're not prepared to run in less than ideal conditions, too bad. Either withdraw or deal with it.

+1

xhristopher

I think any runner who fancies them self as worthy of running Boston should be a good enough to adjust their effort according to the conditions or smart enough to just not run. I don't like rewards for not participating while a majority of runners toed the line and ran a race in which they knew they had no chance to requalify. I've heard about runners who are now relieved they don't need to run a qualifier for 2013 because they skipped the heat.