Diet Pop impact on weight (Read 1723 times)

localoutoftowner

The "clear" drinks didn't last long here in the states. I don't think you can get Tab Clear or whatever we called it.

I do remember Crystal Pepsi.  Supposedly it tasted "just like" pepsi but was, you know, clear.

Except it didn't.

It was one funky drink.

I liked the Crystal Pepsi!

xor

Cactus Cooler

Oh goodness.  I forgot all about that stuff. It came from The Flintstones!  I was gonna link a pic, but I want to show off the old-school can from the 70s. Apparently they still make this stuff, but now the can looks like Sunny Delight or something.

There was also this stuff:

The commercials encouraged us to "slam it down fast!"  For awesome burps, I guess.

What's interesting about Rondo is that it came out right about the time Mountain Dew was being recast as the drink for young white kids doing outside-y extreme sports activities.  And Rondo's commercials played to the same demographic.  I remember one was some Thomas Magnum-looking dude grass skiing down a mountain.

Yes, grass skiing.  Another 70s thing.  Like snow skiing, but in summer. Weird skis. Nasty falls.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Then there is butterbeer.

dennrunner

RC Cola (Royal Crown) always just tasted like weak pepsi to me.  I wouldn't seek it too aggressively.

(either I'm being sincere or I'm trying to draw out the RC fanatics into a round of "you suck!, No, you suck!")

You suck!

To me it tastes like a mixture of Coke and Pepsi that has gone fairly flat.

xor

To me it tastes like a mixture of Coke and Pepsi that has gone fairly flat.

Hmmm.  Interesting.  I'd buy that.

xor

Pepsi Free was damn tasty. I wish they'd bring it back.

You can buy this stuff now.  In fact, my parents had a fridge full of it... and I plowed through lots last week.

It's called "caffeine-free pepsi" these days.

NOTE: I don't really know Diet Pop's impact on weight, but it is rather obvious now what a soda thread's impact is on Stevie Ray's posting habits.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Then there is butterbeer.

There's also yak butter tea, but I'm not going out of my way (read: Tibet) to try it.

To change the subject, ask me about yak balls.

Hmmm, I think I named the wrong one. I meant the lemony one.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

xor

Hmmm, I think I named the wrong one. I meant the lemony one.

Yes, pepsi tried to be confusing.  Then again, that brings us to Coke Zero vs Diet Coke.  Or Diet Pepsi vs Pepsi Max vs Pepsi One.

The lemony one was Pepsi Light.

...not to be confused with "Pepsi Lite" or wholly different "Pepsi Light", which is what Diet Pepsi is known as in some countries.

We had some Coke Zero in the fridge here.  That stuff is messed up. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

The pepsi light can reminds me of the days of ye olde pull tab.  The detachable kind.  These things were like cigarette butts in that people who would otherwise put their trash in the can (so as not to make The Indian cry), well, they'd just toss the pull tabs on the ground.

Anyone ever cut their foot on a wayward pull tab?  OUCH.

It was such a big deal that circa-1983, the water park I worked at (White Water, Grand Prairie Texas, sal-UTE) had big signs everywhere encouraging employees to pick these up off the ground and throw them out.  Today nobody knows what I'm talking about.

The pepsi light can reminds me of the days of ye olde pull tab.  The detachable kind.  These things were like cigarette butts in that people who would otherwise put their trash in the can (so as not to make The Indian cry), well, they'd just toss the pull tabs on the ground.

Nah.  You just would drop them into the can.

Wow.  I haven't thought of those pull tabs in years.  Brings me back to college days.

Anyone remember the forerunner of the ones we have today?  On the tops of the Coors cans?  Two circular holes you pushed in?  That was odd.

Of course, when I was a little kid in the 60s and 70s, we had to use church keys.

Jeff

Why is it sideways?

The depth of knowledge here of the various sorts of pop or coke or soda is pretty much conclusive evidence of the depth of the problem of obesity. We've been well educated, indeed.

Will power is actually derivative of habit. Habit is the much more powerful thing. What we call "the will" is actually just the tense feeling we get when apply one habit against a contrary habit. (E.g. the habit of caring for your health vs. the habit of drinking pop.) Most of our habits are so deep that we are absolutely blind to them. The only time we become aware of a habit is when it runs against another habit.

So, when people invoke "will power" as the cure for anything, I want to know what specific habit it is that one is invoking, when one invokes the will. Otherwise, you are talking about a phantom, a ghost, or a spirit that one invokes just to rescue you from your habits. 

I don't drink (much) soda, but that's simply because when I was growing up there never was any in the house. So, I never got in the habit. And since I don't have the habit, I don't have to struggle with how that habit effects my other habits. It takes no "will" for me to resist.

Now, I have plenty of other vicious habits, some of them involve message boards!

xor

The thrill is gone.

The depth of knowledge here of the various sorts of pop or coke or soda is pretty much conclusive evidence of the depth of the problem of obesity. We've been well educated, indeed.

Will power is actually derivative of habit. Habit is the much more powerful thing. What we call "the will" is actually just the tense feeling we get when apply one habit against a contrary habit. (E.g. the habit of caring for your health vs. the habit of drinking pop.) Most of our habits are so deep that we are absolutely blind to them. The only time we become aware of a habit is when it runs against another habit.

So, when people invoke "will power" as the cure for anything, I want to know what specific habit it is that one is invoking, when one invokes the will. Otherwise, you are talking about a phantom, a ghost, or a spirit that one invokes just to rescue you from your habits. 

I don't drink (much) soda, but that's simply because when I was growing up there never was any in the house. So, I never got in the habit. And since I don't have the habit, I don't have to struggle with how that habit effects my other habits. It takes no "will" for me to resist.

Now, I have plenty of other vicious habits, some of them involve message boards!

An unhealthy habit I've developed is stopping at Taco Bell on the way home, every night.  Same order every time 5 "chicken" hard tacos. Habit.

This rubs against my previous habit, getting home as soon as possible. 

I developed a third habit, listening to lectures by The Teaching Company.  This third habit mitigates the discomfort caused by the first habit, thereby making it harder to break.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus