Running shoes with toe entry (Read 485 times)

sicnasty3

solo from the pet rock

A friend I run with recently purchased some vibram shoes. I'm thinking of buying a pair because they feel comfortable, but

does anyone know if they end up injuring you legs (shin or calf) or feet after habitual use and are they worth the price or 

am I better off buying some other type of running shoe. 

I'm relatively new to running and training to enter a 5k race in late February. Any recommendations on foot wear?

2012 Goals:

Run 100 miles * Run 300 miles * Enter/Finish a 5K race 

an amazing likeness

When you say "Vibram shoes", I'm assuming you mean the Vibram 5-Fingers "toe shoes"?   If so, these 'barefoot' shoes almost require you to become a student of barefoot running. Personally, I don't do it -- but there doesn't seem to be a bunch of evidence that moving to barefoot-style running causes more injuries if approached properly.  There seems to be a growing set of evidence, on the other hand, pointing out that the standard, modern heavily built-up running shoe is contributing (in some way) to injuries.

Choosing my words carefully has never been my strength I've been known to be vague and often pointless

I like Milktruck's post but I would like to add that it doesn't have to be one or the other. I wear regular trainers for most of my miles and go bare for sprints, trails, and hiking. No matter how much you choose to do it, the most important aspect is learning the proper way to ease into it to avoid injury. You can probably find youtube tutorials or I'm sure there are people here who could point you in the right direction.

sicnasty3

solo from the pet rock

Alright, will do. Thanks for the advice. 

2012 Goals:

Run 100 miles * Run 300 miles * Enter/Finish a 5K race 

Oh roo roooo!

There is a barefoot forum here that likely has some basic info.  I know there used to be a barefoot forum at Runner's World that had a couple of sticky'd items at the top that addressed how to get started in detail.  Maybe one of those would be helpful.

When I first started running I wasn't aware of the minimalist or "barefoot" shoe trend. I was just cheap. When I saw some water shoes (which are pretty similar to vibram five fingers outside of the lack of toe separation) on clearance at walmart for $1 a pair I bought a bunch and ran in them. I've had no problems at all. I think it helps that I was not already a runner with lots of miles in "normal" running shoes so I didn't have so much retraining to do. I eased into the water shoes as I eased into running since the two things occurred simultaneously...