Listen to your body! (Read 303 times)

just_run

I just wanted to post this as a heads up to everyone out there. I have lurked for a while, I used to post occasionally on rwol forum. I had pain in my hip after a long run on 12/27. I took a few days off, then tried to run on 1/1. The pain was still there. it felt a lot like hip flexor, so I just figured give it some rest. It got worse,and I could feel it during daily activities. I didn't want to, but my family and friends convinced me to go to the dr. MRI results came in with a stress fracture in my hip from running.  I will get back to running, but it will take probably 3-4 months. I just wanted to send a caveat out there to listen to your body. I for one, did not believe that it was anything serious and did everything I could to convince myself otherwise. Stay safe all :-)

Queen of 3rd Place

Holy cow, this just happened to a friend of mine!  Now I'm going to be paranoid every time my hip flexors act up!!

Best wishes in your recovery!

Ex runner

just_run

Me too!!  Thanks. Although, I have had hip flexor pains a ton of time, and this really was "different". Hard to explain, but it scared me enough to listen to people.

J-L-C

I think there's a line between paying attention to the pain and ignoring it.

Frankly, if I only ran when everything felt alright I would probably never run. Something is always hurting somewhere!

I've had hip issues, foot issues, calf issues, and knee issues. The key for me was simply addressing those issues (through massage, strengthening, and stretching, and sometimes icing) like an obsessed crazy person until they went away. I haven't had more than three consecutive days off in quite a while.

Running isn't really a "comfort sport" and I think the best mode of action is not just listening to your body, but figuring out what it's saying. Learning when to push through and when to back off is quite important as you've discovered.  And when in doubt, I just jump up and down and see how it feels. The "jump test". ;D

Heal fast!

We should not disregard on the things we noticed in our body which is somehow different than the usual one. we should not gamble our body and health. Paying attention on what we feel can save us in acquiring a such complication.

Hoping for your fast recovery,

we should prioritize our health and body. my site

I agree to a point, however, like J-L-C, if I listened to my body I would never run, or run a lot less.  For me, 99 times out of 100 if I just keep running the pains work themselves out in a week or two.  When that 1 time out of 100 turns up, I will probably promptly forget the other 99 and kick myself for not pulling back sooner.

The key is really to do this running thing long enough to know what is what.  In the last 3 to 4 years I've only missed a handful of day of running, and none of them were due to injury.  However, I have scratched a bunch of quality days, or cut an easy run short because something just wasn't quite right.

After having this body for as long as I have I feel like I have I have gotten pretty good at telling what is up with it.  The problem is there is no way to describe this to someone else, and so advice always seems to err on the side of caution and say stop.  There is a lot of pain you can run through, the real trick is knowing when to do that.  That knowing only comes with experience, and that experience only comes with lots of runs.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Jeff F

Free Beer

I think it is important to differentiate between the normal aches and pains we have as runners and a serious injury.  If we listen to our bodies we should be able to tell the difference...most of the time.

I look my best blurry!

Sorry but sometimes it doesn't tell you a damn thing until it's too late.  My body is mute.

I think it is important to differentiate between the normal aches and pains we have as runners and a serious injury.  If we listen to our bodies we should be able to tell the difference...most of the time.

Feeling the growl again

Sorry but sometimes it doesn't tell you a damn thing until it's too late.  My body is mute.

Yup....I went from 100% to 90% in one run....just a little niggle, a few easy days...to no running in one more run.

Sometimes you get warning....sometimes you get false alarms...sometimes it just slaps you upside the head.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I look my best blurry!

That's a nice way of putting it.

sometimes it just slaps you upside the head.

Thanks for sharing! Sometime extreme activities could turn out this very bad.

Chantilly75

I agree to a point, however, like J-L-C, if I listened to my body I would never run, 

The key is really to do this running thing long enough to know what is what.  

After having this body for as long as I have I feel like I have I have gotten pretty good at telling what is up with it.  The problem is there is no way to describe this to someone else, and so advice always seems to err on the side of caution and say stop.  There is a lot of pain you can run through, the real trick is knowing when to do that.  That knowing only comes with experience, and that experience only comes with lots of runs.

+1

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica