Exercising throughout the day (Read 263 times)

fimmx

Are there any benefits (or drawbacks) to doing a bit of a workout throughout the day? I am back at a desk job, in the office or commuting 10-12 hours a day, and I have to use whatever time I can find to get some body movement in. I will have a standing desk at work, so balancing on one leg and single leg squats are a given. If I took a mini break every couple of hours or so, jumped for a few minutes, squats and lunges, pushups maybe, or something similar, would it help or hinder? Thoughts?

catwhoorg

Labrat

Help.

Even on a day when I am 'desk bound' I make a point to get up and do something as a break.

Even if its walk to see someone instead of using the phone.

(For lab days I made a ~10 lb weight using steel shot that I doing some upper body work with whilst things are mixing etc)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

#artbydmcbride

When no one is watching I will do some leg lifts.

Runners run

HermosaBoy

When no one is watching I will do some leg lifts.

Do the people who aren't watching get concerned with having their legs lifted?  

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

fimmx

I suppose I could keep a couple of weights at my desk and do some bicep curls while reading stuff.

catwhoorg

Labrat

My co-workers initially thought it was wierd, but they soon got over it.

Lab time is also great for tri-dips etc against a bench

Also any chance of requesting a standing desk ? We have a few of those in our building now, and it is another way of making a desk job much less 'bad' for your body.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Someone has to give you some recognition for this witty comment!

Do the people who aren't watching get concerned with having their legs lifted?  

#artbydmcbride

Don't encourage him! 

Runners run

HermosaBoy

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Getting back to the OP's question, I work with a man that would repeatedly claim that he never exercised and was in perfect health.  Perfect BMI, cholesterol, everything.  He's in his late 50's.  He is also Mr Hyperactive, always walking somewhere.  Walks into his office, answers one email, and walks off again.  People working nearby claim that process takes about 30 seconds.  I think they exaggerate, but not by much.

I persuaded him to put a pedometer in his pocket for a couple days.  Between work and home, he walked 28,085 steps in one 24 hour period.  At his pace length, that's roughly 14 miles.  I explained that this counted as exercise, and compared it to ultramarathon training.  He then wondered if that would explain how he and his son ran the guide into the ground when they went elk hunting.

Since then, he stopped claiming that he never exercised.

Getting back to the OP's question, I work with a man that would repeatedly claim that he never exercised and was in perfect health.  Perfect BMI, cholesterol, everything.  He's in his late 50's.  He is also Mr Hyperactive, always walking somewhere.  Walks into his office, answers one email, and walks off again.  People working nearby claim that process takes about 30 seconds.  I think they exaggerate, but not by much.

I persuaded him to put a pedometer in his pocket for a couple days.  Between work and home, he walked 28,085 steps in one 24 hour period.  At his pace length, that's roughly 14 miles.  I explained that this counted as exercise, and compared it to ultramarathon training.  He then wondered if that would explain how he and his son ran the guide into the ground when they went elk hunting.

Sounds like a guy that shouldn't be working in an office!

fimmx

That is a lot of walking. I'd count that as exercise. I should have been more specific. Squats, lunges etc build leg strength right? Does doing these intermittently throughout the day enhance strength or is there insufficient time to recover? I'm probably overthinking this. I don't think I will have enough time for that many breaks.

A squat's a squat, it can't hurt to get some in during the day.