Homeschooling? (Read 1986 times)

runjanerun

Don't ever ask a question here that you want an answer to. (see that, everyone?)  Well, that is unless you are asking the granddaddymasterpoohbahallknowingallseeing Eric. 

Oh, I have no problem with it.  I'm just surprised that it surprised me to come back and see, if that makes sense. Smile

1. Why not use your Christian identity to condemn those in your faith tradition who spread ignorance by mandating the teaching of intelligent design and pretending that the genesis account of the origins of life is somehow on the same scientific standing as evolutionary theory?

I support Christianity so long as it does not attack methods of intelligence or preach intolerance. When it (or any other institution or religion) does these things, I condemn it, because I believe in the methods of scientific intelligence and a long democratic tradition of honoring love between people.

The Theory of Evolution just isn't hard science - it doesn't pass the definition for it...as it is not reproducible...in a way..it is just another religious belief.  There are numerous evolutionary scientists that can go head to head with any evolutionary scientist in a debate. 

Your not very tolerant of folks different than you are you?

If you are not organized, you will struggle.

Very true for me. I love the idea of homeschooling but I wasn't very good at doing it. 

My dogs are fast, not me

The reason why I asked is that many Christians homeschool in part because they don't agree that biologists should teach evolutionary theory without also teaching about religion even though it is pretty obvious that one can do biology with or without religion. This is a big deal here in Tennessee: in fact people actually want to make a law that you have to teach Christianity alongside evolution in biology class. It's pretty weird. Many of those people are homeschoolers.

The TN House voted 70 to 28 to allow teaching creationism.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20052007-501465.html

Robin

Why is it sideways?

The Theory of Evolution just isn't hard science - it doesn't pass the definition for it...as it is not reproducible...in a way..it is just another religious belief.  There are numerous evolutionary scientists that can go head to head with any evolutionary scientist in a debate. 

You gotta draw the line somewhere. I am not intolerant of Christians. I am intolerant of the attack by a small minority of Christians on scientific methods of intelligence. The undermining, for example of the idea of global warming. The incredible blindness to the explanatory power of evolutionary theory.

These have consequences for the future that I find quite dangerous, and I oppose them.

Wow.

Science involves testing propositions against evidence. I don't see how evolutionary theory can be discounted simply because it is not one of the so-called "hard sciences" (Physics, Chemistry). 

And, since there's a link to Jeff's blog at the bottom of his posts, you may want to rethink that rhetorical question.

There is a nice example of his intolerance here.

One of my all-time favorites is where he tricks Jamey Gifford into discussing his Christian faith.

Here's another example of his strategeryThis is the most offensive one, in my opnion.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

it is not reproducible.

On what do you base this assertion?

Because, evolution is totally reproducible.  Ask any microbiologist, for example, or anybody who has ever been made ill from a drug resistant infection.

Evolution happens in front of us all the time.  It happens fast, as we see in the microbiologic world where organisms reproduce quickly (in the span of seconds to minutes).  It happens more slowly, but still happens, in societies where certain physical traits become more evident over just a few generations.  And it happens very slowly, over the course of eons.  Some of these evolutionary changes are manipulated by mankind, others by natural events.  Many would fit even a conservative definition of being experimental and reproducible.

“It often happens that even a non-Christian knows a thing or two about the earth, the sky, the various elements of the world, about the movement and revolution of the stars and even their size and distance, about the nature of animals, shrubs, rocks, and the like, and maintains this knowledge with sure reason and experience. It is offensive and ruinous, something to be avoided at all cost, for a nonbeliever to hear a Christian talking about these things as though with Christian writings as his source, and yet so nonsensically and with such obvious error that the nonbeliever can hardly keep from laughing.

“The trouble is not so much that the erring fellow is laughed at but that our authors are believed by outsiders to have held those same opinions and so are despised and rejected as untutored men, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil…How are they going to believe our books concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven when they think they are filled with fallacious writing about things which they know from experience or sure calculation?

“There is no telling how much harm these rash and presumptuous people bring upon their more prudent brethren when they begin to be caught and argued down by those who are not bound by the authority of our Scriptures, and when they then try to defend their flippant, rash, and obviously erroneously statements by quoting a shower of words from those same Sacred Scriptures, even citing from memory those passages which they think support their case, ‘without understanding either what they are saying or things about which they make assertions’ (I Tim. 1:7)”

– St. Augustine in The Literal Meaning of Genesis

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It happens more slowly, but still happens, in societies where certain physical traits become more evident over just a few generations.  And it happens very slowly, over the course of eons.  Some of these evolutionary changes are manipulated by mankind, others by natural events.  Many would fit even a conservative definition of being experimental and reproducible.

Wisdom teeth.  Fewer people have them now than did even a generation or two ago.  Because we don't need all those extra molars when we're not gnawing on tough roots.

Modified because molars are not canines...which have also shrunken with time, since we have knives and shit.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Maniac

Wow.  I have no words.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My wisdom teeth did not evolve away.  My dentist removed them.

Although, that evokes an interesting point.  Until fairly recently, certain unattractive and genetically mediated physical characteristics may have reduced a person's likelihood of mating.  Examples may include big ugly wisdom teeth, bunions or fat noses (well, not really, but you get the idea).  As a result, there would be fewer children with bunions.  These days, we can correct those physical characteristics surgically and increase the chance that they will be passed along.  This too is a type of evolution, but perhaps not one that leads to a survival of the fittest.

xor

"There are numerous evolutionary scientists that can go head to head with any evolutionary scientist in a debate. "

Can someone 'splain this one to me?

Taken at face value, this seems to be, well, a 'duh'.

I assume one of those two parties was supposed to be something besides an evolutionary scientist.  But maybe I'm missing something.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My wisdom teeth did not evolve away.  My dentist removed them.

They are disappearing in my family, from the look of things.  I had none (not even on xrays) and it looks unlikely that Dane will be sprouting any, either.  Only one of my siblings had wisdoms and only had 2.  Our dad also only had 2.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... besides an evolutionary scientist.  But maybe I'm missing something.

Your mind. You left it behind on one of those 30+ mile long runs you just went on.

Wait. Maybe I'm confusing threads.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why is it sideways?

evolution ... leads to a survival of the fittest.

This is a teleological view of evolution--one possible reading, but it strikes me as a theological reading, inserting a sort of purpose and meaning for the chance mechanisms that Darwin took as foundational to the theory. Especially if you take a narrow view of "the fittest" as something like "the perfect physical form." 

In fact, your example, Trent, only shows that an animal with the intelligent practices of dentistry and surgery but with bunions is fitter than an animal without bunions but also without those intelligent cultural practices. See how you stripped the body of the animal from its environmental/cultural circumstances and posited an "ideal form"? This is a common way to misread the theory of evolution.