flipping out (Read 1432 times)

I'm 24 days out from Marine Corps marathon and I've messed up my knee.  I tried to initially convince myself that it was too many miles on my shoes so I switched them out.  The offiicial diagnosis is chondromalacia patella or runners knee.  Ugh.  It's not super painful but it's absolutely an issue.  I've decided to blow off my last long run of 18 miles today and not run for the next 3 or 4 (or longer) days to hopefully let the inflamation subside.  The doctor, who is an athlete, told me to definitely stay off it for a couple of days.  I'm icing, taking ibuprophen and doing these isometric quad stretches.  Question... am I totally screwed?  I'm so scared that by losing these last training runs, somehow I'm undoing the months of training I've done for this race.  Intellectually, I know I'm doing the right thing by resting my knee and will run this marathon regardless of how I feel, I just can't help tweaking over this development.  Gaaaaaaaaah.

Any suggestions (or even disengenous reassurances) that won't further stress my fragile knee/psyche would be welcome.

xor

No you are not totally screwed.  Or even semi screwed.  You are just a wee bit over 3 weeks out... taper time is pretty much here anyway.  Do right by the knee, Dudley, and it'll do right by you.

Nothing is being undone.

Say "fuck" a few times if'n it helps.

Say "fuck" a few times if'n it helps.

mta to reflect a less frantic querier...

Ok, here I am 6 days later and after taking 4 days off and icing and stretching with little else accomplished on my feet... I was able to do a 16 mile LR with little discomfort.  I felt the knee but never felt like I was in trouble in terms of pain.  How would the more experienced runners taper to accommodate an injury they did not want exacerbate?  I feel like this injury changes the taper plan and I'm not sure how to proceed to marathon day without making things worse...  I only have 19 day to go.  Thanks in advance...

Feeling the growl again

In general, what I recommend for a taper is to begin by cutting the volume off the long and easy runs while maintaining quality runs.  Easy volume is a long-term fitness builder, once you get within 3 weeks of the race you don't need it and you'll stay plenty sharp and continue to build gains while beginning to sharpen and recover from the reduced overall workload.  Your quality runs will feel easier without the volume...you are fresher coming into them...the real trick is not to leverage this by driving them too hard.

With an injury like this, I'd maybe cut the volume a little sooner and a little more...this is assuming it's time-on-feet which exacerbates the issue and not speed. 

I don't know your goal for the race and, looking at your log briefly, I see long runs and easy runs so the above general advice may not apply to you.  However, you could cut some miles and replace them with fewer miles including a tempo run and get the same/better benefit at this point with less running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My goal before my knee started giving me trouble was sub-4 or 3:55 to BQ. Ironically, it probably hurts more when I try to significantly slow my pace. So, I guess my goal is the same now allowing for realistic adjustment based on how I'm feeling marathon day.

joescott

Hey chilidog, first of all I would counsel you to just try to be calm and not let it get to you too much.  You've invested enough now that you can probably still have a great race and your 16-mile run with little/no pain is a good sign that you will be able to press on to race day.  I am probably not a great example to follow, but last spring I basically kept training as much as the pain would let me while taking 500 mg naproxen twice a day and icing as much as I could.  Practically this meant that I would push my mileage and workouts as much as I could but would inevitably have to back off or stop completely for periods of time.  My injury wasn't exactly the same as yours (although chondromalacia is similar/related).  Without knowing correctly the cause of my pain I ran Boston on a knee with two non-trivial cartilage defects, and honestly, during the race it was not an issue per se.  My less-than-optimal training (due to the injury pain) and consequential less-than-optimal racing strategy bit me in the end, but I can't complain too much, it was still fun and I'd do it over again exactly the same way.  Rest it when it hurts too much and I'll bet you'll be okay to get through 26 miles 385 yards here in a couple of weeks.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

My goal before my knee started giving me trouble was sub-4 or 3:55 to BQ. Ironically, it probably hurts more when I try to significantly slow my pace. So, I guess my goal is the same now allowing for realistic adjustment based on how I'm feeling marathon day.

That recent 20 miler at 9:12 pace should give you all the confidence you need that a sub 4 is easily within your reach if you just get to the start line healthy.  So I'd do whatever  will not re aggravate that knee (no downhills, not too much mileage etc), I'd take more days off if necessary. You won't lose any fitness in 2 weeks.  

Schmize

Yep, you are in good shape.  do not stress out and keep icing.  I have had this before and the reduced volume will help get it healed.  Also, do your isometric exercieses and do some PT stabilization stuff, as well.  Simple stuff like planks, glute bridges, one leg squats (make sure no pain, but you will know when its getting better), side leg lifts, bosu ball ankle stuff, etc. etc.   Usually, runners knee is caused by ramping up volume too fast or too much downhill running.  However, with me it had to do with over pronating (two bones in the lower leg would twist causing the patella to be pulled in the direction of tight ITB).  I strengthened my feet/ankles and made them more stable and good to go.

So, the workouts you missed are gone.  Just proceed by reducing volume and sharpening the pencil.  Report back!

thanks spaniel, joe & happyfeet for log-checking and thoughtful responses.  nobody could ever put as much pressure on me as I do... I'm working on this. Blush

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

.  nobody could ever put as much pressure on me as I do... I'm working on this. Blush

Not to add pressure but  looking at your log < 4 should not be a problem. The knee issue will force you to taper and get to the starting line in great shape. According to your log you do not know " easy run". Nearly every run is over MP (3:55 / 8:59).Rest the knee and you will crush <4. Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Apparently, flipping out works.  CDB is in at 3:54:48, way to go!  Congrats!!!!!!!

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Apparently, flipping out works.  CDB is in at 3:54:48, way to go!  Congrats!!!!!!!

Big grin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Big grinCoolApprove

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

The rest will do you well.

Relax.

You'll get to the starting line, and you'll finish.

If you rest.

There are true stories of great marathoners

who were forced to take a few weeks off from their constant training due to sickness or injury

---right before their goal races---

then showing up on race day and running a PR and winning.

Never fear rest.

Running obsession will do you in every time.

So kick back, repair, and show up on race day rejuvenated.

Looking forward to a good race report. Cool

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The rest will do you well.

Relax.

You'll get to the starting line, and you'll finish.

If you rest.

There are true stories of great marathoners

who were forced to take a few weeks off from their constant training due to sickness or injury

---right before their goal races---

then showing up on race day and running a PR and winning.

Never fear rest.

Running obsession will do you in every time.

So kick back, repair, and show up on race day rejuvenated.

Looking forward to a good race report. Cool

She should have a good race report...she BQd today. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay