Snow types/quality and effect on run (Read 937 times)

Erica, What's wrong with running on a big sheet of ice? I do it all winter long (once the ice is thick enough...) http://news.runtowin.com/2007/12/10/lake-running-faq.html

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Not in my area! It froze into a giant flat sheet that covered everything. There was NO chance of running on what was, essentially, an ice rink.
      So leave the flatlands of East Arlington behind, and venture to the Heights! Down there, the snow and ice melts, distributes itself into a perfectly flat surface and refreezes. Up here, it melts then runs down the hill leaving a pristine running surface devoid of slippery stuff. Hills are your friends! Here's today's 5.2 (Park Avenue - Gray Street - Jason Street), it was pretty safe and sane even when run in a Nor'easter.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

zoom and ed - I'm looking at the sites for both SmartWool and SealSkinz socks.... and getting overwhelmed w/ all the choices! What do you use? Looks like we'll be running in the snow Saturday morning for our group's first meeting. New socks couldn't arrive quickly enough!

Jeanne

go Care Bear go!

I didn't see any mention of Yaktrax here. They are the best for running on the packed snow/icy conditions here in Colorado. Last winter, that was the best $30 I spent. Check out your local running shop or even big box sports retailer. (I have no affiliation with this product, just a happy customer.) My run today wasn't too bad and I left the Yaktrax at home as the icy spots were just here and there, plus I was able to run late enough (6:45am start) that it was light out. That makes a huge difference to me when the roads are dicey this time of year. I don't mind the snow but the biggest problem I have is when it's actively snowing and the visibility is poor. Ski goggles actually make sense! Anyone like to snowshoe? That's a great workout too!
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That is a great course!
            dougnl

I like yaktrax too, although I've split mine apart after only a month wearing them. I don't mind running in snow so much as ice, and with the bitter cold here this year, there's a lot of ice around.