How do you feel at the end of a 5k? (Read 364 times)

I've only run 3 so far.  Been getting in better shape, but also probably better managing the tired pain of nothing left to give in the race.  My second 5k was 2 mintues faster than my first.  And my 3rd 5k was 1 minute faster than my second.  I know those drops in time cannot continue at that rate.

I don't have my next 5k planned yet.  I've got to work more on running and weightloss.  Times in the upper 20's.  Hope to break into the 25's next 5k.

At the end of my last 5k, running into the chute, waiting for them to take the tag off the bottom of my number, I felt almost like I was going to puke.  Hard to stand still for that moment.  Just wanted to keep walking, moving, circling, gasping.  After 2 minutes, it all calmed down, and I was ok.

Is that how you feel?  Do you push yourself that hard?

joescott

At the end of my last 5k, running into the chute, waiting for them to take the tag off the bottom of my number, I felt almost like I was going to puke.  Hard to stand still for that moment.  Just wanted to keep walking, moving, circling, gasping.  After 2 minutes, it all calmed down, and I was ok.

You are doing it right.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Puke or medical tent = you are doing it right.

Ready, go.

Latent Runner

Yup, I third the motion, "You're doing it right."

If you don't feel dizzy and about to puke at the end of a race, you didn't try very hard.  Smile

FWIW, I've run more than a few races where I've lost both my peripheral and color vision as I was approaching the finish line.  Kind of a strange sensation.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
          • 2-mile: 13:49
          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
          • 5-Mile: 37:24
          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
          ptradford

I agree with the above. I usually save just a little bit for the end of the race. So in the 200 meters or so I go all out, and when I cross the finish line my heart rate is max out and my breathing is very rapid...and yes, I feel ready to puke. This is just a sign that you've pushed your cardio to the max. You, obviously, don't want to do this at the beginning or the middle of a race. If you decide to do any longer race (10K, half or marathon) You won't be taxing the limits of your cardio capacity so much, unless you decide to sprint the end.

Congrats on the improvement. Good luck on breaking 25. Be sure not to go out to fast. The 5K is won in the middle mile.

Pete

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I usually fantasize about quitting between 1.5mi and 2mi, in a 5K. Then approaching mile 3 all that I focus on is making it to the finish. Then I feel better immediately after, usually.

I've lost peripheral vision, but not often. Also, sometimes when I'm really tired, I find my eyes drifting closed, which seems unsafe so I try to fight that.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Walk-Jogger

I've never puked at the end of a race, but then I never have any food in my stomach when I'm racing either. At the end of a 5k I will be gasping loudly for air from that final 100 % all out sprint to the finish line, bent over double, slime/slobber drooling uncontrollably out of my mouth, and if they need my tag, I'll be leaning on the person taking the tag in order not to fall down. Sounds like you're doing  it about right.

Retired &  Loving It

Fanilow

Pretty much like I am about to die.

I've had the tag taker-offers ask me if I need a minute to walk. Maybe they are afraid I'm going to hork on them...so I must look like I feel.

I keep swearing off 5ks. And then I keep signing up for them.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

delicate flower

By mile 2.5, I am praying for the race to end, I think the world sucks, and I wonder how I'm going to make it to the end of the race.  I cross the finish time sucking wind, spitting, and just trying not to fall down.  5K is the only distance where I've had to sit down immediately after finishing the race.  Then after 5-10 minutes, I'm on the prowl for the free food.  Not that I need the replenishment after a 5K, but if there is free food so I am going to find it.

<3

I have a coworker who shows up at many of the events I do.  Despite her apparently being in better shape, I beat her every time.  Because I am willing to enter the pain cave, and she is not.  If it doesn't suck, you're not running to your potential.

The one caveat to that would be your Drs advice.  For folks with certain types of heart disease, for example, it may not be safe to push that hard.

kcam

Is that how you feel?  Do you push yourself that hard?

With the exception of the puking thing, yes that is close to how I feel after a 5K.  First thing I need to do is the hands-on-knees thing for about 10 or 15 seconds then I can graduate to hands-on-hips-walking-around for a minute and then I'm back to normal.  I"ve never felt any need to puke after any race, though.

I can also relate to the thinking about stopping in the middle of the race.  I pretty much always think about stepping off at around 1.5 - 2miles, after that I'm usually in the "hell, I've gone 2 miles might as well stick with it for another 1.1" stage.

Glad to know I'm doing it right!

Didn't want to think I was dropping my times by somehow cheating Smile

Have done well over 100 of these in 35 years of racing.

first mile - hold back, don't get too excited (or fearful), and focus on pacing

second mile - move up, and pick off runners but no big surges

half mile (2 to 2.5) - hang on! And fight through this, but I feel like hell.

last K - tunnel vision sets in, lungs screaming, legs don't respond well,

(last 1-2 minutes) shift into anaerobic running, which sucks even more

Finish chute - 1-2 minutes of gasping, don't anybody touch me, no I don't want to keep walking through the chute!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...  Then after 5-10 minutes, I'm on the prowl for the free food.  Not that I need the replenishment after a 5K, but if there is free food so I am going to find it.

+1 Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

gpb

At the end of my last 5k, ... I felt almost like I was going to puke.  

Sounds exactly right if you're trying to give it your all at the end of the race.

Now work on finding the right balance for earlier in the race.  It's tough though, learning how much you can push yourself earlier in the race without flaming out at the end takes time and practice.

BTW - you're only cheating if you shortcut the course a la Rosie Ruiz.  Or borrow a bicycle.  If you cross the start, run the course, and cross the finish you did it right.