first half marathon-- 7 months to train (Read 471 times)

onefatchick

Interesting articles Robin.  I have no delusions about becoming an elite master though--those race times are FAST.  I think most of my race times put me somewhere in the age-graded 70-75% range, barely regional.   I think I have the "work ethic" and "desire" to continue to improve, but the natural speed component and natural talent may be limited.  Who knows.

Joann Y and Happyfeet,  I use a Nike watch (TomTom with GPS) that records time, distance, and elevation and calculates pace.  I plug the watch into the computer and it maps out my runs and spits out all the data.  If I walk during a run (like to remove a jacket and tie it around my waist) I don't put the watch on pause.  I usually run the same 3 routes that I have been running the past year and a half.  One is a loop around a local park where I vary which direction I run and another is a "rail to trail" so distances are very consistent.   The Nike watch was new last year and it has been pretty spot on with race distances and times where the races are chip-timed so I think it's accurate.

onefatchick

Just a quick update to let you all know that I have slowed down my pace some more: 9:30 - 9:45/mile on most of my runs.  I can not believe what a difference this has made in my level of fatigue!    I did not realize how much those harder runs were draining me until I backed off the past two weeks.  My level of energy has shot way up and everyday residual soreness from previous day's run is no longer present.  Another thing that is going away is the feeling of cheating on a workout if I don't go out and work hard on each run.  I can not believe how much more enjoyable each run is now.   They were good and enjoyable before, but I actually smile while running now.

Thank-you all for the great advice here!

Mostly harmless

This thread has been a good read.  Congrats on all the progress you've made so far.  Learning to slow down is one of the hardest lessons to learn.  Props to you for catching on relatively quickly.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

onefatchick

Three and 1/2 months down, three and 1/2 months to go --  15 weeks actually.

A few hiccups along the way, but not too terribly far off from where I planned to be for mid January.  The weekly long run has been steadily increasing; last Sunday's run was 12.6 miles and tomorrow I plan on 13.  I've been able to plan my weekly long runs around the weather so I have accomplished it each week outdoors-sometimes it happens on Saturday, sometimes on Sundays.  My work schedule has been somewhat of a crap shoot due to weather, so juggling work and my weekday runs has not been the easiest.  As a result, my total weekly mileage is not quite where I wanted to be--currently (and consistently) at ~ 30-35 mpw but not stressing about it not being higher, at least not yet..   When  I have to go indoors to the treadmill or track I find it is really tough mentally to deal with more than 3 miles on either. But one way or the other I'll get that total mileage increased--- I'll learn to either deal with the crappy weather or deal with the monotony of indoor running or pray for good outdoor running weather from here on out!    Having our January thaw now and looking ahead to the end of January (which will take us past the dead of winter) looks relatively decent so really hoping we're through the worst!

Inspiring life story plus great training advice. Where is the half you will be running?  ( I'd have to go back to my 20's to get training mile times like that!)

onefatchick

http://www.capitalcityhalfmarathon.com/

Columbus Ohio

Did the 5K my first two years of running.  I really enjoyed the venue and the atmosphere surrounding the events.

onefatchick

Ten weeks to go. Starting to feel a little panicky.

Weekly mileage short of where I wanted to be and has been inconsistent. Long runs have become pretty much non-existent due to my reluctance to run outdoors in bitter cold temperatures and have not been able to force myself to run the longer distances indoors on either treadmill or track.  Longest indoor runs are now up to 7 miles, which is further (about double) than I have gone in the past on either treadmill or track.   Mostly a mental challenge to go the higher distances indoors; have done nine weekly long runs of 10-13 miles outdoors since mid- November so I know I can go the distance, but the past few weeks I have been a dismal failure at getting the long run in.  How do you folks do it????

runmichigan

I have run up to 20 miles on a treadmill.  I use one that has a TV so I can watch a good movie while I run.  Otherwise you could bring an IPad or some similar device to watch a movie or TV shows you have downloaded.  Many treadmills automatically go into cool down mode after 60 minutes.  Use this as a break to step off the treadmill and get a good drink.  After three to four minutes reset the treadmill and resume your run.  As you run, do not obsess over the readouts on the display.  In fact covering them with a towel may help you stop watching each hundredth of a mile click off.  And remember the mental toughness you gain by keeping yourself going on the treadmill will be mental toughness that you can use in your half marathon.

onefatchick

Thanks RunMichigan.  I like the idea of covering up the treadmill display.  I lag behind the times with all the fancy electronic gadgets; don't own an ipad.

In some ways I wish I had a freak show to watch at the gym but most folks there seem pretty normal and boring.  But then again, I'm pretty sure I would get sick to my stomach if I were to actually witness some of the things some folks here have seen at their gyms.

SMART Approach

Get outside. Just do it. Dress up and go. I wouldn't think of doing more than 6-7 miles on a treadmill. I am heading out now for 10 miles at zero windchill with 2 inches of snow on roads. No big deal. Once you are out there a mile it is all good. You need these long runs on the road. Way more benefit than treadmill. You need the air resistance and need to absorb and adapt to the road pounding. Do your treadmill during week but get that long run on the road.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

2 inches of snow on roads.

How cute.

Runners run

onefatchick

Once you are out there a mile it is all good. You need these long runs on the road. Way more benefit than treadmill. You need the air resistance and need to absorb and adapt to the road pounding. Do your treadmill during week but get that long run on the road.

The coldest temperatures I have run in is mid 20s with 25mph wind.  I have all the cold weather gear, dress in layers, etc. but eventually still get too chilled out on the long run.  I peel layers as I go and tie the extras around my waist as I start to warm a little (usually around 1 and 1/2 to 2 miles) and then drop them off at my vehicle at the end of a loop at 4 miles.  I have even done a complete change of clothing, and I mean complete, head to toe (well, except the shoes), at miles 4 and 8 in an attempt to stay dry and ward off the chill. (There's a heated public restroom at the park where I do my long runs).  Nothing seems to help, especially around mile 8 or 9 (time elapse of 70- 80 minutes).  Beyond the  9 miles I really start to feel chilled to the bone, my lips turn blue and my teeth start to chatter.  I'm not sure what I can do differently to keep those runs from turning into absolute misery.  This is supposed to be fun     I don't know if I just lack the energy to run and stay warm at the same time.  Could it be a fuel issue?   During the summer I get chilled the moment I stop running, even in 75 degree weather, especially if there is the slightest breeze; I can't change out of wet clothes fast enough.

Joann Y

The coldest temperatures I have run in is mid 20s with 25mph wind.  I have all the cold weather gear, dress in layers, etc. but eventually still get too chilled out on the long run.  I peel layers as I go and tie the extras around my waist as I start to warm a little (usually around 1 and 1/2 to 2 miles) and then drop them off at my vehicle at the end of a loop at 4 miles.  I have even done a complete change of clothing, and I mean complete, head to toe (well, except the shoes), at miles 4 and 8 in an attempt to stay dry and ward off the chill. (There's a heated public restroom at the park where I do my long runs).  Nothing seems to help, especially around mile 8 or 9 (time elapse of 70- 80 minutes).  Beyond the  9 miles I really start to feel chilled to the bone, my lips turn blue and my teeth start to chatter.  I'm not sure what I can do differently to keep those runs from turning into absolute misery.  This is supposed to be fun     I don't know if I just lack the energy to run and stay warm at the same time.  Could it be a fuel issue?   During the summer I get chilled the moment I stop running, even in 75 degree weather, especially if there is the slightest breeze; I can't change out of wet clothes fast enough.

Any way that you can start and end at home? I've noticed the same in myself as I've gotten older and along with a touch of Raynauds makes cold weather running something that I tend to avoid but I do so love it when I do it. Much more tolerable if you plan on a hot shower within those first few minutes of finishing up. And I wonder if you should leave some of those layers on?

MTA: Wanted to add that there is absolutely nothing wrong with treadmill running. Whatever it takes to get it done.

MTA: Wanted to add that there is absolutely nothing wrong with treadmill running. Whatever it takes to get it done.

+1 to this.

I've reluctantly set several new PR's for distance and time on a treadmill this month. There's simply no way I could have safely done anything resembling running outside on the roads around here for the last 3-4 weeks. Instead on the 'mill I've actually gotten in some serious quality runs. Today was my 4th run outside in the month of February--a nice little 6-mile recovery run--and it was glorious. But if not for the treadmill I'd be absolutely nowhere in my training.

It was challenging at first to wrap my brain around longer runs on the treadmill but I've gotten used to it. Last year I had to do some of my midweek medium long runs on the 'mill but this month has been the first time I've actually don LONG runs (2 hours) on the mill. I have my music, I sometimes break up the runs with intervals, take breaks to get a drink of water at the fountain, and there's plenty of good people watching at the gym I go to. Whatever it takes.

Runners run

onefatchick

JoAnn Y,  I've tried leaving all the layers on but that hasn't worked either.  Most of the time I try to shed the layers before I get too sweaty .  Once I get a little damp and there's just a slight breeze I get really chilled after an hour of running.  Most days this winter the wind has been 15 to 20mph.  I hate the wind.  If it's sunny and mid 20s and no wind I seem to fare just a bit better.  Seems the sun can bring some warmth with me in my black ninja clothing, but I think we have an average of one or two sunny days a month from November through mid March.  I hate winter.  This past month has been so hard.