Question about trail shoes (Read 785 times)

I'm doing my first trail race this coming Sunday. I'm trying to decide if I should go out buy some trail shoes or just wear some of my retired running shoes. Whatcha think?

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I'm doing my first trail race this coming Saturday. I'm trying to decide if I should go out buy some trail shoes or just wear some of my retired running shoes. Whatcha think?
      Is the race Saturday or Sunday??? I'm pretty sure it's Sunday. Don't do that to me! Oh, and I have the same question - I want to just use my old running shoes.

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm doing my first trail race this coming Saturday. I'm trying to decide if I should go out buy some trail shoes or just wear some of my retired running shoes. Whatcha think?
        How long is the race? In general ,since it's just a few days away, I think you'd be better off wearing old shoes instead of buying something new that you haven't had a chance to break in. But why retired shoes? How 'bout your current trainers?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

ooooops sorry. Saturday is my Bday and I had REALLY wanted to do a longer than 5k race on it, but couldn't find any close enough.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

It's a half marathon and I'm not sure I really want to get my current shoes all wet and muddy.

mbk

I wore road shoes for my first five trail ultras with no problems. I eventually migrated to some light weight trail shoes because they offered additional protection from the rocks and roots on the trail. But many trail/ultra runners still wear road shoes. I agree with Jeffgoblue that at this point you would be better off with current or old road shoes rather than trying out new shoes, especially on a course as long as a half marathon. Wear your current shoes and dirty 'em up! It's a badge of honor, just like cuts and scrapes and bruises from falls and debris. Have fun!
                I wore road shoes for my first five trail ultras with no problems. I eventually migrated to some light weight trail shoes because they offered additional protection from the rocks and roots on the trail. But many trail/ultra runners still wear road shoes. I agree with Jeffgoblue that at this point you would be better off with current or old road shoes rather than trying out new shoes, especially on a course as long as a half marathon. Wear your current shoes and dirty 'em up! It's a badge of honor, just like cuts and scrapes and bruises from falls and debris. Have fun!
                Thanks Jeff and Marshall. Looks like I'll wear one of my current pair of shoes.

Thanks Jeff and Marshall. Looks like I'll wear one of my current pair of shoes.
                  I don't want to get my brand new running shoes dirty yet!! My other ones only have about 350 miles on them, I think they'll be fine to wear.

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't want to get my brand new running shoes dirty yet!!
                    I'm the opposite. When I get a new pair, I keep looking at them thinking, "Damn, these things look too clean." Then I intentionally seek out dirt and mud. Gotta break those puppies in. Smile

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I'm the opposite. When I get a new pair, I keep looking at them thinking, "Damn, these things look too clean." Then I intentionally seek out dirt and mud. Gotta break those puppies in. Smile
                      I used to be like that. But my new ones look so nice, I know they won't stay that way for long, but I want to enjoy them a little while longer. I just wore my old ones yesterday when I cut the grass, so they are officially ready for mud and muck, like the race on Sunday!

Michelle

See I've been buying the same shoe's for almost 2 years. When I get a new pair I'm always afraid if I get them too dirty too fast I won't be able to figure out which shoes are the new ones lol. Course now my new shoes are Mizuno so no exuse there.