What keeps you running? (Read 2110 times)

The young Mama Bear!

I'm not (necessarily) a new runner...I started three years ago and kind of fell off - and in love - and getting too comfortable in a relationship was the nail in the coffin. Now, I'm back and getting him into activity as well.

What keeps you running? Is it weight loss, the inner competitor? A race coming up?

I remember what kept me going was my huge pace improvements. As a (large) filly, I was pretty quick. I think that's what will keep me going in the long run.

Also, music or no music while running? Why?

Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

Hi Lauren

Here's my take on your questions

What keeps you running? Is it weight loss, the inner competitor? A race coming up?

I run for my health. It helps keep my heart healthy and my weight down. (Of course what I eat is also a major factor for both these things.)

It helps that I enjoy running and I do like to see some improvement from year to year.

Definitely no music while I'm running - I want to be fully aware of what's going on around me when I'm outside. Both as a self defense measure and because I like hearing the sounds around me as I run - especially if I'm running in the countryside or through a park.

Geoff

nice marmot.

i run because the voices tell me to.

im always wired for sound unless its some form of speed work.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I run because it's my me-time and it helps blow off any stress in my life.

No music, no audiobooks, none of that for me. I do all my running outside and I like the sound of my feet on the gravel, the birds, etc. I like to think on my runs and not have my head cluttered with noise. There's also the safety factor -  hear bikes coming behind me on the bikepath, kids, dogs, or traffic when I'm on a road.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I run because some days it's the best part of the day.  Not always, and sometimes it's the worst...but today was one of those days where my run was really the only bright spot.  I'm glad I had that 90 minutes of happy me time before the shit hit the fan.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

These days I am not sure why I run.

Not at it at all. 

an amazing likeness

Crap!  Beat me to it...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

keeponrunning

+1.  Sigh.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

xhristopher

I run because some days it's the best part of the day.  Not always, and sometimes it's the worst...but today was one of those days where my run was really the only bright spot.  I'm glad I had that 90 minutes of happy me time before the shit hit the fan.

While running isn't usually the best part of my day it's never been the worst. It's kinda like spice and brings out the flavor in things. For example beer always tastes better after running.

Slice

It keeps me sane. It is time for me that I don't have to share: no family needing things, no phone, no dog. I don't think about all the other shit I should b doing and try to ignore the mommy guilt. I just go and let my mind wander. I use music but take out one earbud when I don't feel safe (either from cars or being in a desolate area).

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Mariposai

The love of it!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MrH

You mean I could stop?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Queen of 3rd Place

First, I don't think there's a more fun and simple form of exercise. A natural human activity that you could do, if necessary, with zero special equipment.

Second, there's never an end to the challenges, and they are your own little milestones, ranging from a new distance/speed/place/elevation you've ever run to just "I really didn't want to do this today, I'm tired/sore/busy/stressed and it's hot/cold/raining/snowing, but I did it anyway".

Ex runner

For me, it's a lifestyle I choose.  I'm a type II diabetic because I ignored activity for 10+ years, and enjoyed indulgences.  I crippled my pancreas.  And I've been told that isn't healthy, and I'd die earlier in life because of it.

For me, it's not the race event, although they give me an action plan for a week, a month, or a year.

For me, it's not the nature, beauty, or tranquility of being within my own thought, although oftentimes, I do enjoy it and look forward to it.

For me, it's not to lose weight, but it is a by-product of what I'm doing.

For me, it's about winning, although it's not about 1st place in an event, it's about beating this unhealthy disease I placed upon myself.

For me, it's about quality of life.

For me, it's about delaying what may occur later in life.

With all that being said, I'm a competitor, I'm an addict, and I'm an analyst with my training.  I measure everything I can in ways that I never imagined I would.  I try to keep everything a game, and I try to do what I never imagined was possible before I entered this journey 10 years ago.

Oh, and music.... for my 1st 1/2 marathon, I had 2 hours straight of songs that had the word "run", "walk",  "streets", "hills", or "champion" in it.  It didn't matter the genre.  I trained with the music for a couple months before, and placed the songs in an order that kept me mentally fixed on the goal.

Cheers,
                              Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I run because I'm too stubborn to stop and because I just enjoy running.

I don't listen to music when I run, no good reason, just I don't feel the need, and actually enjoy just listening to what is going on around more, or getting lost in my thoughts.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."