Car vs. Biker -- biker wins! (Read 1736 times)

Gotta TRI

Wow! Truly awsome! She's like a Jedi-Ninja!
    2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

Prince of Fatness

Leave poor Lady O alone.  I'm sure she was on an important call or something.

Seriously, glad Mrs. D is OK.

Not at it at all. 

This:

"You can listen to me bitch you out," said my wife. 

...is just fantastic.  I wouldn't have come up with that slap-down until about 4 days later.  Mrs. D sounds like a keeper!

Glad she is ok.  That is a cool story.  I wish I had such agility.  I've been on the bad end of 3 bike-car encounters over the years.  I never got hurt but my bike was injured each time.  Just curious....Did Mrs D also have a stop sign?
          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Right on Hereford...

Glad she is ok.  That is a cool story.  I wish I had such agility.  I've been on the bad end of 3 bike-car encounters over the years.  I never got hurt but my bike was injured each time.  Just curious....Did Mrs D also have a stop sign?

Glad you didn't get hurt in your accidents, but sorry about your bike(s).

Nope, no stop sign for Mrs. D. at that intersection. She was proceeding ahead lawfully.

RunsForCake

^5 Mrs D!

Marylander

Wow, that's amazing. I've been over the hood of a car (my belly and arms on the car, not my feet) and under the bumper of a pickup truck (actually got some rash from the front tire, very scary).

Kirk

The Thunder

I played the car vs biker game once....I lost.  Lady ran a stop sign and I T-boned her at 25 MPH.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Feeling the growl again

After many close calls I gave up road biking years ago, though I'm going to restart as I'm now in a much better area for it.

Only actual hit I ever had was proceeding across a crosswalk on a "walk signal", old lady stopped at red light suddenly lurched ahead (light still red) and T-boned me at relatively low speed, IN the crosswalk, sending me spilling onto her hood.

I'm glad your wife had cleats, I was commuting on a normal cheap bike and my furious attempt to knock out her headlights failed as my tires just bounced off.  In typical fashion for that particular town, onlookers who witnessed the whole thing still yelled at ME.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Mrs. D is a ninja - well said by previous poster!

Our town has finally established a few little bike routes, but I have to giggle at them. First, the local newspaper shows a picture of someone using the route to show how great it is - but the biker is going the wrong way on the path down a one-way street. Apparently the backs of all the green "bike route" signs didn't make him stop and think that something might be amiss. Also, they put approximately 1.5-2 bike route signs every block. So, it looks like our bicyclists might forget if they are on the bike route if they pedal twice without seeing a sign. However, I'm glad they are finally getting some routes - this is a town with a university and community college and the cyclists don't seem to know to follow traffic laws and the cars don't seem to like having the cyclists around. The support for cyclists is good to see.

TRUST THE PROCESS

SMART Approach

That is so cool! Great story. Driver's are oblivious. Always assume they will not see you.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Cropperman7

as a skater and bike commuter  i want to give your wife a thumbs up....ah hell let's make it two thumbs up.  funny in my 4 times Vs a car i was hit by cars coming out of drive ways.  only once by a car at an intersection.  the car thought she passed me and turned right....without a directional others told me, while she was alongside me.  i got out lightly each time....so far.

Intentionally Blank

Wow.  Scrazy!*  And you wife sounds hella cool.  My DH got knocked over on his bike a couple of years ago.  The dude actually made eye contact with him, and then I guess spaced out and drove right into him.  Fortunately, dh was okay, but not the bike.  Turns out the guy who hit him was incredibly apologetic, and the owner of a bar.  Free beer!

*scary + crazy