Your (mild) winter gear picks (Read 595 times)

skinnycaponesugar

While most of you are getting ready to ditch your skivvies, I'm starting to feel the chill! This is my very first winter as a runner and I want to make the most out of my running gear budget. The likelihood of getting to see snow where I live is negligible, however we might head up the mountains on weekends, which increases the chances. In short, I need something to keep warm, but not uncomfortably stuffy. I don't want to head out to the shops without an idea of what to get. Smile Thanks!

Love, Run, Sleep

chrimbler

I live in Canada and run in some pretty cold conditions in winter, so here is what I have and use from 5 deg C to -40 deg C. I just use different amount of layers, which you will tailor to suit your own personal needs: Hat (Helly Hansen) Balaclava, or some other form of face covering Long sleeve running (Tech) shirt, this is my upper base layer, used all the tim in the cold Running t-shirt Thermal top (micro fleece) Shell (wind/water proof) glove liners and mittens (fleece) Running tights (thermal) Smart wool socks Running Shoes (Asics 2130) Thats pretty much it, the warmer it is the less layers I use, at -40 I will use all this, hope it helps, by the way I get most of my stuf from the Running Room, which is a Canadian store but they have good stuff. Smile MTA. I also have a pair of windproof boxers, I learned the hard way about that one! Dead
      Run like you stole it!
        I live in the Carolina's where the winters are really mild, I think our coldest morning this past winter was the high teens. I have to say I LOVE running in the colder weather, much more comfortable, as we get horrendous humidity here, and summer running is not pleasant in that respect. Anyway I wore on Coldest Mornings: Under Armour compression cold gear shirt Thermal Tights Ear Band warmer lightweight gloves if windy, a lightweight wind slicker type jacket Most important thing is to make sure that your base layer is wicking material, and close to the body. Milder Weather temps during winter: Long Sleeve Tech shirt base layer Short Sleeve Tech Shirt over lightweight tights Ear Band Lightweight gloves Have Fun, you will like the cooler temps. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

While most of you are getting ready to ditch your skivvies, I'm starting to feel the chill! This is my very first winter as a runner and I want to make the most out of my running gear budget. The likelihood of getting to see snow where I live is negligible, however we might head up the mountains on weekends, which increases the chances. In short, I need something to keep warm, but not uncomfortably stuffy. I don't want to head out to the shops without an idea of what to get. Smile Thanks!
          I'm in Melbourne so am in the same boat as you! I just bought a 2xu l/sleeve tech shirt which was pricey but is great, and a pair of nike full length tights, plus a baseball cap (despite the fact it's pitch black in the mornings!). I'm thinking about getting some running gloves (maybe fingerless), a pair of shorts to wear over my tights and a light, water repellent jacket as it's bound to start raining on me some time! I find that I'm cold starting out (lately it's been aroudn 8 - 10 degrees in the mornings) but after 15mins or so I'm pretty warm. Let me know what you get though!