First time buying running shoes (Read 1125 times)

Okay, I know that sounds silly since I've been running for quite a while now, but I haven't bought my own shoes. My aunt spoils me and buys my running shoes for me without my trying them on. I am at the point where I need to go to a running store and buy my own shoes. I don't want to go in there being totally clueless. I'm hoping to find some suggestions here from everyone to help steer me in the right direction with brand and type of running shoe that I need. I've been increasing my mileage since January and seem to be heading in the 40-50 mile per week mileage. I have found that my NB shoes I run in have my toes in pain, specifically my right foot's second toe (lovely under the nail blood blister). So with that in mind I need to find a roomier shoe. I run mostly on pavement but have been running trails more and more so I need a versatile shoe. Does anyone have a similiar running schedule and suggestions to what shoe I look into?

Michelle

Okay, I know that sounds silly since I've been running for quite a while now, but I haven't bought my own shoes. My aunt spoils me and buys my running shoes for me without my trying them on. I am at the point where I need to go to a running store and buy my own shoes. I don't want to go in there being totally clueless. I'm hoping to find some suggestions here from everyone to help steer me in the right direction with brand and type of running shoe that I need. I've been increasing my mileage since January and seem to be heading in the 40-50 mile per week mileage. I have found that my NB shoes I run in have my toes in pain, specifically my right foot's second toe (lovely under the nail blood blister). So with that in mind I need to find a roomier shoe. I run mostly on pavement but have been running trails more and more so I need a versatile shoe. Does anyone have a similiar running schedule and suggestions to what shoe I look into?
      Depends on you feet. I'd go to a running store and get properly fitted. The two shoes I wear that seem to work for me are the Asics 2110/ 2120 and Mizuno Alchemy 6A. The Asics tend to be a little more cushier then the Mizuno's. They are both stability shoes.Aproximatly 70-80 % of runners wear stability shoes (so I think lol)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Michelle, are you sure you don't just need a longer shoe? Toe blisters generally mean a shoe is too short. I'd say if you otherwise like the model you're in, don't mess around trying to find something else if you don't have to. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Michelle, are you sure you don't just need a longer shoe? Toe blisters generally mean a shoe is too short. I'd say if you otherwise like the model you're in, don't mess around trying to find something else if you don't have to. k
          Hmmm. I didn't even think about that. I really do like my New Balance shoe. I usually wear a 6.5 but my aunt gets me a 7 in running shoe, so it's already a little bigger. I'll have to check it out when I go to the running store.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm. I didn't even think about that. I really do like my New Balance shoe. I usually wear a 6.5 but my aunt gets me a 7 in running shoe, so it's already a little bigger. I'll have to check it out when I go to the running store.
            Yeah, I think running shoes tend to run short for some reason. I normally would wear a 7.5 wide in street shoes, but since wides are impossible to find I wear an 8 in most shoes. My NB running shoes are always 8 wides (D width). I'd bet a 7.5 would be perfect for you. I have at least a thumbnail's width beyond my longest toe...sometimes even close to a full inch. k

~ Sarah Kay

Most people usually wear a size bigger in running shoes than street shoes anyways. Also some brands do run short (like Mizuno's)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

btb1490

As was already mentioned, a good running shoe store is invaluable, and should be able to fit you with the right shoe based on your body type and mechanics first and foremost, and yes also to the type and amount of running you will be doing. Have them measure BOTH feet while standing up, and have the shoe fitted to the larger foot. You want to look for ample toe room to allow your forefeet to be able to expand and flatten out with each pushoff. And you want your heel to fit snugly. Don't overlook different lacing patterns to better customize the fit of your shoe. You really shouldn't base your shoe choice on what others wear, because everyone is so different. It's best to get expert advice and try them out for yourself. How cool is that that your aunt buys you your shoes! Is/was she a runner? Is she looking to adopt a nephew? Big grin addendum: Wear your running socks and orthotics (if you have them) when trying on the shoes.
                  I finally did it. I went and bought my own running shoes. Asics Gel Stratus. Half a size bigger than my New Balance that I've been wearing. Broke them in tonight with a 10.22 mile run. They work, my feet are happy. Big grin

Michelle

Very cool!

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I think you get blisters from having a shoe that's too big. Your feet slide around in the shoe when you land, and the friction causes blisters. If you get black toe nails, it's probably because the toe cage is too small, and your toes jam into the shoe when you land. That's just my theory. Michelle: if you like your new shoes, you can always tell your aunt what you want :-) By the way, how did you land such a sweet deal? Running shoes aren't cheap. I wish I have my own running shoe sugar mommy.
                      btb1490

I finally did it. I went and bought my own running shoes. Asics Gel Stratus. Half a size bigger than my New Balance that I've been wearing. Broke them in tonight with a 10.22 mile run. They work, my feet are happy. Big grin
                        They look fast! It's important to keep your feet happy! Good luck with them!
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think you get blisters from having a shoe that's too big. Your feet slide around in the shoe when you land, and the friction causes blisters.
                          That's true, but I got them on the tip of one toe and the side of a foot from my Asics Kayanos, as they angled too sharply in and rubbed against the tip of one of my toes. And their "wide" width is laughable. The blister on the side of the ball of my foot eased up once I skipped the second set of holes in the shoe to allow it to not be so snug in that area. All of my NB shoes are a lot looser and longer in the areas where the Asics gave me blisters.

~ Sarah Kay

I think you get blisters from having a shoe that's too big. Your feet slide around in the shoe when you land, and the friction causes blisters. If you get black toe nails, it's probably because the toe cage is too small, and your toes jam into the shoe when you land. That's just my theory. Michelle: if you like your new shoes, you can always tell your aunt what you want :-) By the way, how did you land such a sweet deal? Running shoes aren't cheap. I wish I have my own running shoe sugar mommy.
                            The toe issue was from my other sneakers being too short and the toe cage being too small. I went with a shoe a half a size bigger this time. Last night's long run was totally pain free from any toe or blister issues. My aunt is set on New Balance because she and my uncle hit the outlets in Maine. So that is why she has always gotten me that brand. This last time she bought them she simply ordered them online, which confused me since she saved no money that way. Now that I know what shoe I like (provided that this one holds up well), I'll just pass the information along for the next time. My birthday is in November, that will be about the time I'll need a new pair. Big grin

Michelle

The most important thing to recegnize with running shoes is that the best shoe for me is not going to be the best shoe for you. You should go to a specialty running store and get fitted into shoes that work for your foot size, shape, and gait.
                                The most important thing to recegnize with running shoes is that the best shoe for me is not going to be the best shoe for you. You should go to a specialty running store and get fitted into shoes that work for your foot size, shape, and gait.
                                So far, aside from the blood blister I discovered after tonight's race, I really like my new shoes! And these were from a speciality store, which is a first for me. Smile

Michelle