Running and Job Performance (Read 1134 times)

Running before work means that I am more alert and productive for longer. Running at lunch time means that my afternoon isn't a waste of time. Running before work, at lunch, and after work more than a few days in a row leads to fatigue and a decline in job performance.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Rundadrun27

I start work at 7:00 am. Unless I want to run at 4:00 am, I really have no choice but to run after work. I actually prefer running after work because it helps me unwind and I feel more relaxed.

A Saucy Wench

I used to have a very stressful job and running at lunch was a great way to diffuse stress and be ready to go again in the afternoon. Time is limited though, so hard to get in more than 4-5 miles at lunch. I am definitely more productive on the days I run first thing in the morning, I never wake up without it Evening runs mess with my sleep.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I feel more energized after I run. )

Man in Tights

Great question. I've recently shifted to a city where the sun rises at 5.58 am. The weather usually varies from hot and humid to very hot and very humid. To ensure I don't burn, I have to have my run done with before 6.45 am. Which means I have to get up by 5 am and be on the road by 5.45 or 6 am at the very latest. I'm an advertising professional and it's not unusual to work late into the evening often until 9.30 or 10 pm twice or even thrice a week. This screws me up. I'm juiced out by 8 pm and find it difficult to muster up the energy when I need to keep up late. So yeah. It does affect my work. And when I do work late it affects my run the next day because I still have to get up early. So for me it's a bit of Job and running performance. When things do get tough I use the treadmill at office in the evenings. I guess it's a matter of adjustment. Cheers
              For all you 5 AM running people wow Shocked!!! I need coffee be for I call my self human. I have to be up at 5:45 am for work Sad so I run after. I am on my feet all day at work but I eat through out the day so by my run I'm ready to go. then I get home and clean.... sometimes. LOve running at night!!!!!
              Go Daddy

I have always preferred the morning but will do nights if needed. As for the job performance part of the question, adequate sleep has more of an impact on my performance. If I cut into sleep time too much to get a run in, I will be trashed during the day.
                CapeRunningMom

I work mostly from home (college professor and freelance writer), and I find my runs essential when I'm working on a big project. Something about running clears my mind, helps me to remember little bits of data, and put together ideas that had been unclear. I recommend it to all of my students!http://www.runningahead.com/images/forum/emo_smile_shades.gif
                  AroundTheHorn

I run when my body tells me to. I always set my alarm for 6:30 so I'm ready to get up and run. However, sometimes the body says no. No worries, I'll run at lunch. Problem there is, sometimes you are just too busy. Then there is always option c, and that's to run at night. So, I have 3 chances to get my run in and I almost never miss getting one in using this method.
                    Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.