RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Might have something to do with that "R" rating.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This was on public radio.  Terry Gross was interviewing him.  No warning, nothing.

Imminent Catastrophe

That will teach you to listen to NPR.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Heh.

Terry Gross has her own show on Philly public radio.  It is not NPR.  Just the local public radio station broadcasting it.

This was on public radio.  Terry Gross was interviewing him.  No warning, nothing.

So what did you say to your son?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

(daughter)

It was a very patient discussion about the nature of sarcasm.  I had to explain that the singer is Jewish and that he was singing the song to make fun of people who hate, to make them look silly.  It took several times, but ultimately she got it.  I think.

(daughter)

It was a very patient discussion about the nature of sarcasm.  I had to explain that the singer is Jewish and that he was singing the song to make fun of people who hate, to make them look silly.  It took several times, but ultimately she got it.  I think.

Makes me sad. 

Did you just say "people who hate" or did you decide it was time to specifically discuss antisemitism?  Or does she already understand that concept?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We discussed both "people who hate" and "people who hate Jews".  She knows about the holocaust, so there is a frame of reference.  What was difficult was getting across the concept of satire, which SBC applied so effectively in this case.  It is tough explaining that a song such as this actually and paradoxically makes anti-Semites look extra foolish.

She also wondered about whether other people, nonJews, listening to the radio would understand.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We discussed both "people who hate" and "people who hate Jews".  She knows about the holocaust, so there is a frame of reference.  What was difficult was getting across the concept of satire, which SBC applied so effectively in this case.  It is tough explaining that a song such as this actually and paradoxically makes anti-Semites look extra foolish.

She also wondered about whether other people, nonJews, listening to the radio would understand.

Time for an introduction to Mel Brooks, maybe?  Only half kidding.  His satire is a bit gentler.  Though Blazing Saddles probably still has a bit too much adult/sex themes for kids that age.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

It is tough explaining that a song such as this actually and paradoxically makes anti-Semites look extra foolish.

Unfortunately a lot of adults don't get it either. Like the ones who think the Dire Straits song "Money for Nothing" is anti-gay.

But as you pointed out, they probably should have warned listeners that that song was coming up.

Sorry I'm not done with this.  I was trying figure out this morning what bugged me about the whole "Throw the Jew Down the Well" stunt.  It's this: 

Songs are catchy.  It has been shown throughout history that the most effective way to inculcate ideas is through music and song.  What SBC succeeded in showing is that in some parts of the US, anti-Semitic sentiments are at least latent.  But the price he paid was to create a catchy song that is highly suggestive and creates pretty intense imagery.  Songs have an even deeper impact on kids.  Your daughter hearing that song is probably more upsetting to her subconscious than you think. You may have reasoned with her, but the deeper effect is probably still there. 

Also, if you don't think some foolish parents let their kids see that show, you're wrong.  Likely, there are kids in this country who went to school the next day singing "Throw the Jew down the well, so my country can be free!", maybe even in unison. 

SBC might have made a brilliant point, but what he did was very shortsighted. 

And this,

"According to Time, Chappelle became unsure about his material for the new season when a white visitor at a taping laughed especially hard and long over a sketch Chappelle performed in blackface. 'When he laughed, it made me uncomfortable,' Time quotes Chappelle as saying. His longtime writing partner is quoted as confirming that Chappelle had decided some of his material was not funny but 'racist.'"

Imminent Catastrophe

Once again, the movie was rated R. Because parents are irresponsible and take their kids to see it is no excuse for censorship. I also see idiot parents taking little kids into very violent or sexually explicit movies, I see it all the time.

Stumbling upon it during a radio show is not the fault of the listener, however.

Personally I was shocked and disgusted when I saw that scene, but it showed me something that a dry lecture or documentary would not have. I'm not defending SBC, I'm defending freedom of expression.

Once again, the movie was rated R. Because parents are irresponsible and take their kids to see it is no excuse for censorship. I also see idiot parents taking little kids into very violent or sexually explicit movies, I see it all the time.

Stumbling upon it during a radio show is not the fault of the listener, however.

Personally I was shocked and disgusted when I saw that scene, but it showed me something that a dry lecture or documentary would not have. I'm not defending SBC, I'm defending freedom of expression.

Hey PerfesserR,

Points well taken.  However,

I was definitely not faulting the listener or the listener's parent.  There was simply no warning. 

I agree it showed me something, I just don't think that lesson was worth introducing a catchy song into the American consciousness. I respect his freedom of expression, I just think he misused it.  His choice.

Also, small correction: that segment wasn't in the R-rated movie, it was from the TV show, which makes it that much more accessible.   

xor

If you choose movies on Netflix, pay attention to what you pick.

You will be quite depressed if you think you are about to watch The Mask, but you actually requested Mask.

There are two movies named Crash.  Both are intense.  One is substantially weirder than the other.

Ok then.

HOSS1961

Time for an introduction to Mel Brooks, maybe?  Only half kidding.  His satire is a bit gentler.  Though Blazing Saddles probably still has a bit too much adult/sex themes for kids that age.

First of all I think Blazing Saddles is hilarious.  One of my favorite Brooks films.  Secondly and sadly, many adults probably don't get much of the humor either.  How many get the "Jewish" indians in the beginning, the town of "Johnsons", or the "No Irish" comments?  Funny on their own but poking fun at various aspects of movie making and history, which makes them even funnier to me!

HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured