Running in Central Park (Read 521 times)

I have the extreme fortune to be able to run in Central Park in NYC next weekend.  It is sort of a bucket list thing for me.   Anyone have any tips on where to start?  Is there anywhere to stow your gear like a locker or such?  Never been to NYC so all a complete new experience for me.  Any tips/suggestions are greatly welcomed!  Thanks!Cool

Kathy

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

JML

You pretty much cannot go wrong.  I favor the main road which is closed to traffic on weekends.  All told, it is about a six mile loop with nice rolling hills.  It is also easy to cutoff the hilliest section at the top of the park and still run a 4 mile loop.  There are no lockers that I am aware of.

Check out the following link for a map:

http://www.centralpark.com/usr/maps/CentralParkRunningMap.pdf

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Imminent Catastrophe

There are also bridle trails if you prefer dirt. I like these, they're less crowded, shady, and softer. See one of the maps at various locations in the park. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Bushrat Runner

That's cool. I think if I were running there I would look up the 2008 Men's Olympic Trials Marathon course and run the in-park loop, imagining I was Ryan Hall pulling away from the pack...

There are also bridle trails if you prefer dirt. I like these, they're less crowded, shady, and softer. See one of the maps at various locations in the park. 

True, I don't run in Central Park but I do use dirt trails all the time and they definitely put my feet through less abuse.