Back in the market for a camera (Read 2453 times)

A Dance with Monkeys

My Canon Powershot SD630 has served me well.  Always in my pocket.  Over 10 000 shots along the way.  Several published.  Today, after 3 1/2 years, it broke.

So, what should I get? 

Looking for:

• Ultracompact
    • Top image quality
    • SD card and NB type LI battery preferred
    • Wide to zoom
    • Auto, Manual and preset modes
    • Durable
    • Not looking for mega-megapixels
    Canon has treated me well, would generally prefer their cams.

Needs more cowbell!

Canon has treated me well, would generally prefer their cams.

You know Canon has a really nice website, nowadays... Wink

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

Needs more cowbell!

This one looks pretty close to what you are looking for:

SX200 is

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

Needs more cowbell!

I have this and adore it...might be my favorite all-around camera...ever:

I'm guessing that's quite a bit larger than you want for throwing in your pocket, though.  I carry a big purse. Tongue

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

I carry a big purse. Tongue

Maybe Trent should start....along with a little eyeshadow.

'No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch'

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"  - Peter Maher

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run."  -Monte Davis

Needs more cowbell!

Maybe Trent should start....along with a little eyeshadow.

Shit, I don't even wear eyeshadow.  The closest thing to cosmetics in my purse is some Burt's Bees peppermint lip balm.  My purse is more small messenger bag than girly handbag...but it's great for small cameras and my kid's toy cars and LEGO. Tongue

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

I didn't mean to imply you wear eyeshadow-I generally don't either, except maybe for a special occasion.  Just thinking Trent may look cute with some on.

Shit, I don't even wear eyeshadow.  The closest thing to cosmetics in my purse is some Burt's Bees peppermint lip balm.  My purse is more small messenger bag than girly handbag...but it's great for small cameras and my kid's toy cars and LEGO. Tongue

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"  - Peter Maher

"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run."  -Monte Davis

While I'm thinking of it, does anybody know of a really good FREE photo shopping program?  I'm going on a trip, and will probably take a ton of photos, but they may need work when I return,.

Needs more cowbell!

While I'm thinking of it, does anybody know of a really good FREE photo shopping program?  I'm going on a trip, and will probably take a ton of photos, but they may need work when I return,.

Used to be the Photoshop Elements came free with scanners, cameras, etc.  I don't even know if Adobe makes it, but if you can get your hands on it it's really great.  Check eBay...you could probably snag it for $25.  Other than that, a ton of people rave about Irfanview and Gimp.  I've never used either, but they'd definitely be worth looking at.

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

You can get trial downloads from Adobe for Photoshop Elements and Photoshop. I don't know how long the trials are. They used to be 30 days, probably still are.

A Dance with Monkeys

I know you said you prefer Canon.  However, I bought my daughter a Nikon Coolpix (not sure what model) and I must say it takes incredible pictures for just a point and shoot camera.  I use a Nikon digital SLR, but when I saw the results of the Coolpix, it seriously made me wonder why I lug all my lenses and bulky crap around with the DSLR.

I have a new fuel belt from Ultimate Direction that has two small zipper pouches on the belt......probably for gels/gu, keys, etc.  The Coolpix fits just perfectly into this pouch so I can take it on runs.

I think the Coolpix has the features you are looking for.

✔ Think of setting 2013 goals.

Stop being a fat slob.

Run more miles than last year.

A Dance with Monkeys

This one looks pretty close to what you are looking for:

SX200 is

That is a compact, not an ultracompact.  Too big for my pocket.  The other one even moreso.

A Dance with Monkeys

I think the Coolpix has the features you are looking for.

Thanks. There are loads of Coolpix out there. Any out of them preferred?

Needs more cowbell!

That is a compact, not an ultracompact.  Too big for my pocket.  The other one even moreso.

I'm not sure Canon has an ultracompact with the sort of manual features you are looking for, though.  Do a search on DPReview.com.  I believe there were only 3 Canon compacts with Aperture/Shutter priority...none with full manual, no ultracompact with manual settings.  The smallest with full manual is my SX110 (now the 120) IS, I believe.

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals: