Little help from the Experts? Newbie training plan help... (Read 1218 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Wow.  Confused

steph  

Why is it sideways?

I like this cat's style. You gotta be a little crazy to run well.

It's hard to give advice to a stranger without coming off as condescending. Those are two books that I've read and liked, and my big thing lately has been recommending books because I think that part of what confuses people in message boards is that threads tend to zero in on small details instead of dealing with structured wholes. 

The book is not dead and all that.

Oh yeah, good luck outrunning me. Ya!

MTA: I think what was taken as condescension was me trying to point out that getting things perfect and training hard without wasted effort is really really hard. That's what I meant with the "Good luck with that" comment--I meant it as a gesture of inclusion; we are all involved with this same difficulty. It's something I've struggled with in my own running, something every runner struggles with, but I guess it's best to see that as part of what keeps it interesting.

and how.

and 

and

hufffff. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Well it's just that I've been spending less time on the message board lately as I've been busy trying to revive the global economy.  Plus, even if I'd seen this thread, the fact that it's addressed to the Experts might have intimidated me for fear of looking pretentious--I'd be calling myself an expert if I replied and whatnot.  So now I finally have a free moment and get up the gumption to open this thread and I see that I've already been called an elitist douche bag.  And the New York Mets had something to do with it.  Sheesh.

Runners run

hufffff. 

We're talking Willieeeeeeeeeeee, Jerry and Art Howe!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

Okay.  Elitist douche bags.  I don't have the same knowledge as you, so you suggest reading a book...as if I didn't know what that was. Condescension at it's best. I will just run and stop asking questions here.  In a few months, I will out run most of you anyway.  Embarrassing?  Have ya been doing this for a while and have no talent at it?  So, ya just want to make fun of the new guys?  Pathetic.  No way I subscribe here, and it's my last post.  Thanks for the "help."  

Guess I'm glad I was too busy to be a nice guy and answer this thread.  Wow.  That would have been wasted.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

Interesting - Person asks for help - Gets help - Then insults and leaves?

Although there are some people here with some pretty elite training knowledge - We deliver honest questions and honest advice.  We do not deliver smoke up your ass, hugs, ego fluffing.  But we also do not intentionally insult people.  If you were insulted - It was your decision to be insulted as it was not intended that way.

Either you are a troll or someone that likes to read between the lines a bit too much.

PS - There is no need to get a subscription to stay - It is available for those that want it. 

You got more quality help here then you will get anywhere else - Although I am guessing it will not be offered so generously in the future if you return.

PS - I am 6'3 and set all my PRs > 200 pounds.  At 1st I thought you might be a brother clydesdale - someone to get to know.

Okay.  Elitist douche bags.  I don't have the same knowledge as you, so you suggest reading a book...as if I didn't know what that was. Condescension at it's best. I will just run and stop asking questions here.  In a few months, I will out run most of you anyway.  Embarrassing?  Have ya been doing this for a while and have no talent at it?  So, ya just want to make fun of the new guys?  Pathetic.  No way I subscribe here, and it's my last post.  Thanks for the "help."  

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

L Train

You got more quality help here then you will get anywhere else.

This is not in the spirit of this thread but this has been so true for me. 

I'm from Maine so I might be a douchebag but I'm pretty sure I can't be elitist.  Then again, I wasn't offering any advice.  I'm not sure what I'm saying here, which is not unusual.

I like this cat's style. You gotta be a little crazy to run well.

It's hard to give advice to a stranger without coming off as condescending. Those are two books that I've read and liked, and my big thing lately has been recommending books because I think that part of what confuses people in message boards is that threads tend to zero in on small details instead of dealing with structured wholes. 

Oh yeah, good luck outrunning me. Ya!

MTA: I think what was taken as condescension was me trying to point out that getting things perfect and training hard without wasted effort is really really hard. That's what I meant with the "Good luck with that" comment--I meant it as a gesture of inclusion; we are all involved with this same difficulty. It's something I've struggled with in my own running, something every runner struggles with, but I guess it's best to see that as part of what keeps it interesting.

You like this cat's style, but I'm messed up.  WTF? Wink

MTA:  A power lifter with strange mood swings and rage problems--how does that happen?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Jeff:

I thought it was me who was condescending because I had a little of that intention! ;o)  It IS possible for someone at the age of 47 to start running from scratch and, 7 months later, run 3:25 marathon and 70-80MPW...but it would be rare.  Plus, what he was saying really didn't make much sense; so I guess I expressed it pretty much the way I felt.  I tried to be a bit nice (because it IS possible) but I questioned it as well.

I remember a while back someone came on and rambled on, and fairly quickly came back again because nobody responded and kinda bitched about it.  I got an e-mail from Peter Snell just a couple of days ago.  Actually he forwarded this e-mail that came to him.  This young guy (28yo) sent him an e-mail, asking him about basic training question.  Peter basically said it's not quite his obligation to spread Lydiard training method to the world, though he has been very supportive and generous of his time and effort to help us out, so he referred me to him.  I actually thought it was so "him" and so true, he's a very busy guy.  Upon my responding to him and cc-ing Peter, he called me right away, asking whether he acted a bit rude.  I told him not at all.  In fact, I thought this young guy was a bit rude when he responded back to Peter saying "Sorry for wasting your time..."  That was uncalled for.  This day and age, it almost seems like people can ask, or comment, anything to anybody and they almost seem to "demand" generous response from all of us.  Worse yet, if they don't get what they wanted, they'd get mad!!

I know I always seem to bring up this kind of a talk and I also realize I'm not 100% myself either.  In the past, I received some personal messages, thinking me for my sharing comments and thoughts and I had not responded to all of them either.  Maybe this is a good time to at least let them all know that I do acknowledge their kindness; so thank you!!  I'm also the one who is not necessarily always kind in the way I express my thought....  But running is one sport where any of us, all of us, seem to understand each other's pain and struggle and, therefore, very easily come out as friends at any time.  How many of you go to some road race and, while racing or pacing with some complete strangers, you get to know them and become friends by the time you cross the finish line?  I think I mentioned this before; I have a picture of Frank Shorter from his 1974 Fukuoka Marathon where he claimed his third victory.  He's sitting on a bench with a complete stranger, the unknown Japanese runner, and smiling.  I just love this picture.  He said something like "We all shared the same pain and struggle...and we all conquered!"  I don't think they share the same thought in any other sport.  Let us hope that, at least at this message board, not like some other running message board, we stay civil and be nice to one another.

andy waddingham

hi all i am some what new to running i been running about 9 months now i first started to loose some weight but as they say i got the running bug and now i am training  for a 10k run in a months time any tips anyone can give me ??

Scout7

hi all i am some what new to running i been running about 9 months now i first started to loose some weight but as they say i got the running bug and now i am training  for a 10k run in a months time any tips anyone can give me ??

Hello Andy,

First tip: Have fun!

Second tip: Be sure to take things easy.  Don't try to kill yourself every workout.  Finish your runs with the feeling that you could turn around and do the exact same thing again.

Those are two books that I've read and liked, and my big thing lately has been recommending books because I think that part of what confuses people in message boards is that threads tend to zero in on small details instead of dealing with structured wholes. 

I like how both Jeff & Nobby responded.  In fact, I do appreciate the link to an authoritative book too, because most forum chatter can be interpreted out of context pretty easily, or be provided by people who know nothing.

Nobby / Jeff (and others who help us), Thank you!  Keep feeding us with information and tools that helps us.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Geez, what happened in the 22 minutes between 4:33P and 4:55P?  Confused

He discovered his Prozac prescription had ran out. 

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

DoppleBock

You have to love a sport (bodybuilding) that has  "lifetime clean" events and "Open" events.  I assume "Open" = you have injected any and all things imaginable to get bigger.

You like this cat's style, but I'm messed up.  WTF? Wink

MTA:  A power lifter with strange mood swings and rage problems--how does that happen?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !