Quick Survey: pre-marathon meal. Go! (Read 907 times)

old woman w/hobby

I don't know, man. Sounds kinda dry.

Smile

steph  

"Just stop fucking drinking too much and being fat.  Pretty simple.  Who the hell cares if you like beer.  

We can't always do the things we like all the time."  --Candice

Well it varies, but since I ran one today it's fresh in my mind. I had a pb&j&b (pb&j with sliced bananas added) about 90 minutes-2 hrs. before the race. It was a good choice.

Based on this post I had myself a pb&j&b for lunch this weekend. I really like peanut butter and I like bananas but did not realize the two together taste kinda nasty.

Well, then you'll never run a fast marath... oh, wait. Never mind.

Speedboat

Perky

Beer (of course) and something carbo-licious like pizza or pasta.  But the meal must be early -- like 530pm or so.

Bacon, scrambled egg, sausage, hash browns, baked beans, mushrooms, toast, coffee.  2 - 2.5hrs pre race.

Caveat: I dont' race well, but at least I've enjoyed my breakfast.

runnermom61

1/2 to 1 cup coffee with heavy cream, 1 teaspoon coconut oil, and 1 Equal (or Stevia) 1-2 hours before.  Nothing else. I'm eating a LCHF diet, so I can typically run at least 2 hours in the morning without eating anything.  1.5 to 2 hours into the race or training run, I'll have some Gu.

runnermom61

It IS delicious. And what I make most every morning. Just not usually at 4am.

On the road for a race (which I usually am), it's hard-boiled eggs and cold sausage + whatever produce I can scrounge from a local store if I'm not in a position to have packed my own.

Another item to try (if your hotel room has a microwave) -- Nitrate-free pre-cooked bacon from Trader Joe's.  Yum. 

BreadFan

Water

Coffee

Bagal

Banana

gel 10 minutes before the start.

Breakfeast burritto with lots of peppers and hot sauce. I chase it down with a Corona.

I have Special K cereal the kind with chocolate in it and glass of orange juice and cup of coffee.  Try to have that a few hours before every race, but for Boston it is like 3-3.5 hours because of getting to line early.  So I bring a banana and eat that an hour before.

Surveys were lame back in 2012, had to click back to the first page to see what the question was, what a waste of time.

Bagel with plain cream cheese.

Also, that is typically ALL that I eat the afternoon and evening before the marathon.  Kind of boring but it works for me and I never have GI issues with it.

2015 Goals

2500 miles 

Enjoy my first Boston Marathon

5k - 19:30

10k - 40:30?

21k - 1:29:59