Weight training+running? (Read 890 times)

Matt_Squires

Does anyone have any training regiment ideas? I'm relatively new to weight training on top of doing running. I would love any pointers or suggestions anyone has.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do Cathe Friedrich DVDs...generally 2 days/week, at least one hour of full body and 45 minutes of upper body. Sometimes I will do 2 full body workouts, since I've had some knee issues that could probably be helped by stronger inner quad muscles. Her DVDs (at least the ones that I tend to do--lately I have been doing her Muscle Max and Power Hour workouts) are fairly moderate weight, higher rep...using dumbells, barbell, resistance band. I'm getting some nice definition, particularly in my flabby chicken arms. She's a runner, too, so I always feel like her workouts are geared towards individuals who don't *just* lift weights, but want to cross-train. Her kickboxing workouts are great in the Winter when I want something aerobic and weather is limiting my mileage, too. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

sheil2009

21:00

I dont do my weight training much, but our plan is 2 sets, 12 reps for any exercise biceps, triceps, chest, shoulders, quads (id look them up online or check out the machines at your gym), then squats for hammies, lunges for gluts (20 each, more as you get stronger) 25 each bicycle situps and pushup, and 15 min jump rope for shins. If you want me to give you the full plan I can post it too,, but these are the basics
        jcasetnl

I dont do my weight training much, but our plan is 2 sets, 12 reps for any exercise biceps, triceps, chest, shoulders, quads (id look them up online or check out the machines at your gym), then squats for hammies, lunges for gluts (20 each, more as you get stronger) 25 each bicycle situps and pushup, and 15 min jump rope for shins. If you want me to give you the full plan I can post it too,, but these are the basics
          That's a pretty good plan. I do something like that 2x per week. A few things about weight training with running that I've learned. First, if you do heavier weight/lower rep type weight training, it's pretty taxing on the body so burn out is a possibility. I do 2 sets per body part, which is pretty conservative. I'm able to do a full upper body workout in about 1:15. I do that twice per week. I tried to up my sets to three and then again to five, and also my days from 2 to 3, and within three weeks I was burning out and skipping workouts due to fatigue. I will, depending on how I feel, throw in an extra set of course. The other strategy is go lower weight higher reps, like around 20 - 25. Some would argue this is the way to go if you're a more serious competitor. The heavier weight/lower rep approach will add bulk. Either way, if you don't supplement with protein currently, I would recommend it. I use EAS 100% Whey, which is about 35 online (hard to find in stores). Don't get a weight gainer, just protein. I like the weight training because a stronger upper body not only looks good but the added strength contributes to better form and I seem to get in the zone much easier. Particularly core stuff like abs, obliques, and lower back.
            I like the weight training because a stronger upper body not only looks good but the added strength contributes to better form and I seem to get in the zone much easier. Particularly core stuff like abs, obliques, and lower back.
            me, too. also, i do do leg work, which i know a lot of runners find unnecessary, but i like it. a) b/c... i like challenging myself w/ squats and deadlifts, find them fun and as long as i don't lift an *idiotic* amount of weight and then go for a run right after, i'm not hurting anything, and b) it's really helped me w/ my hills (i don't have many hills on most of my local routes, so i when i encounter them elsewhere, they're daunting. or were. squats, deadlifts, lunges and goodmornings have helped an awful lot, this year.).
            Scout7

Weight training... I don't do it, for two reasons: A) I don't like weight lifting, and B) There is absolutely no proof that weight training has any added benefit to endurance athletics, and since I have limited time I devote it to running. Those are MY two reasons. If you enjoy weight lifting, then by all means, do it. You should do what makes you happy. Of course, that's WEIGHT training. I do some forms of strength training that don't involve weights (other than body weight). Hill running is strength training. There are various and sundry drills that are running-specific that are good for developing strength as well. Those are things I will do. Mostly because I can do them easily before or after a run.

Does anyone have any training regiment ideas? I'm relatively new to weight training on top of doing running. I would love any pointers or suggestions anyone has.
                I recommend getting a book by Alwyn Cosgrove called The New Rules of Lifting. The publisher sent me a review copy of the book, and it was one of the better ones that I have read on the subject in the last few years. I would recommend doing the break in program, the fat loss I program leading up to your race. I finished the fat loss I program about two weeks before a marathon a year and a half ago, and I was able to cruise through as though it were a long run. In the process, I also set a lot of PRs in the weight room, although that wasn't too difficult given my former mentality of always doing low weight/high rep work. I have mixed in the fat loss II and the strength training programs in my off seasons. I reviewed the book here: New Rules of Lifting Book Review And I listed out the new rules and my thoughts on them here: New Rules dissected
                Weight training... I don't do it, for two reasons: A) I don't like weight lifting, and B) There is absolutely no proof that weight training has any added benefit to endurance athletics, and since I have limited time I devote it to running.
                Well, from my own standpoint, I definitely perform better when I have been to the gym than when I haven't. Then again, I also don't waste my time at the gym by doing endless curls (one of the biggest wastes of time there is.) I think that your first reason is a better reason for not lifting weights than the second. That being said, body weight training can give you most of what you need.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)