T-Nation Badmouthing Running (Read 454 times)

TJoseph

Or it could just be humor on their part and not really how they feel about runners or running.  They weren't jumping on this forum and bashing us directly.

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

Running is a sport, bodybuilding isn't.

/thread

P.S. - I've done natural bodybuilding in the past.

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

Runslowalksalot

My favorite T shirt slogan, I saw my high school CC runner/wrestler wearing: my sport is your sport's punishment.

Walk-Jogger

Hypertension in Special Populations: Athletes

"Moreover, the various different sports do not provide equal cardiovascular protection. A survey conducted in 2049 Finnish elite male athletes demonstrated that former athletes who had performed endurance or mixed sports during youth had a lower rate of hospitalization for ischemic heart disease as compared with controls, while power sports athletes (boxing, wrestling, weight lifting) were at an even greater risk than sedentary subjects."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/747755_1

Retired &  Loving It

Hypertension in Special Populations: Athletes

"Moreover, the various different sports do not provide equal cardiovascular protection. A survey conducted in 2049 Finnish elite male athletes demonstrated that former athletes who had performed endurance or mixed sports during youth had a lower rate of hospitalization for ischemic heart disease as compared with controls, while power sports athletes (boxing, wrestling, weight lifting) were at an even greater risk than sedentary subjects."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/747755_1

I know someone who should read that article.

A friend/bodybuilder asked  me recently about training for a 5K and how can she do it in 3.5 weeks?

I asked her what has she been running for the past month for background.  She replied, "I don't need cardio, just weights because I'm already a lean machine."   Right....I've seen her daily  bathroom/locker room selfies.

On that note, I recommended she walk and I wanted to follow up with a wish of good luck on getting out of a burning building if she has to use stairs.

Yeah, we don't need no stinkin' cardio or running...useless.  We only need squat racks to live longer.

Thats rad

Some very misplaced statements on here.

Bodybuilding is a sport. Powerlifting/olympic lifting is a sport. Running is also a sport. Whether it be sprinters or marathon runners, it's a sport.

Bodybuilding and running are pretty much opposites. Getting heavier and bulkier does nothing but slow you down, and extensive distance running can cut into your gains. So some people like getting big, others like getting lean and being able to run far and fast, that's their choice. But bashing lifters for being dumb meatheads, "I pick things up and put them down", or making fun of runners for being small and soft is wrong. It's two different worlds and calling out the outliers on either side isn't fair.

That being said, I love distance running, but I also love picking heavy sh*t up. Weightlifting gets your testosterone pumping, and I love the intensity, but I also love the endurance that running gives me. I play lacrosse, which entails body checking/physicality but also lots of endurance, so it's all athletic training for me.

Point is, keep it classy people, we all have our differences.

Edit: Also the lifters who think they don't need cardio ARE idiots, and it will come back to bite them in the butt.

Runslowalksalot

How many weight lifters does it take to change a light bulb?    It depends, how many mirrors are close by?

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

How many weight lifters does it take to change a light bulb?    It depends, how many mirrors are close by?

.. .and how long before it gets dark.

Tim