Glacier 10K & 1 mile (Read 584 times)

Dog-Love

My 12 year old daughter and I have been running together for years and this is one of our favorite races. Kind of the first real race in Juneau that isn't through snow. It was a purrrrrrrrrrfect Juneau Spring morning (44 degrees and no rain) There were a ton of kids and adults for the 1 mile and Mali ran a 6:40 and came in 2nd overall girls and 1st in her division. She was smoking. She also reminded me that she should run more before races since it was kind of hard. The 10K took off a half hour later and I was going for under 54 but my last best 10K in my 40's was 55:56 so under that would be great. Last year I ran this 10K in 1:06:00 and 6 weeks after having my knee scoped so I was fairly optimistic for a better time. I started the race with a couple of friends and my goal was negative splits. Mile 1 8:22 Mile 2: 8:18 Mile 3: 8:35 (water short stop) 5K split 26:17 Mile 4: 8:34 Mile 5: 8:35 Mile 6 : 8:41 0.2: forgot to push the lap button The last mile and a half were fairly tough but I came in at 52:42 and I was fairly psyched! Third in my age group. I felt as if I could have gone a bit faster at the start but I am glad I didn't. One major difference is a loss of 10 pounds last year which really makes it easier to run. I have another 10 that I want off this year and am slowly tackling that. I'll post a picture of me and Mali post race as soon as I get a photo from my friend. Mali got a medal and a huge blue ribbon (like the ones you get at horse shows!). I got nothing but the admiration of my peers Smile
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
      Awesome job! Both you and your daughter. Congratulations!
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Sandi Sue

There's nothing like running a great race and feeling good is there? Crabby, your consistent running this winter really showed during this race. Congratulations. Big grin

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

A Saucy Wench

Very NICE Big grin Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Good one Crabby, This sure bodes well for the rest of the year. It's the best race I can see in your log and the nice weather is just getting started. Nice pacing too. Congratulaions!
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              Great that your daughter runs with you, Congratulations on running a very good race. Can a sub 50 be in the cards, I think yes. MTA: 6:40 mile fr a 12 year old girl, darn that is fantastic Shocked

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congrats to you and Mali, both! Your daughter is fast - good for her!
                  Mali got a medal and a huge blue ribbon (like the ones you get at horse shows!). I got nothing but the admiration of my peers Smile
                  That seems like much too strong an effort to come away without a blue ribbon. Time to round up your attack crabs and turn them loose on the RD. Nicely done!

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Dog-Love

That seems like much too strong an effort to come away without a blue ribbon. Time to round up your attack crabs and turn them loose on the RD. Nicely done!
                    Wow I never thought of the attack crabs. I could have come in 1st if I pulled the crab card
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                      Congrats to you and Mali, Crabby! That is awesome that you two run together Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Gig

That's awesome. You and Mali ROCK!!

Another Passion

That's so awesome Crabby! Way to shatter your goal! Congratulations! Wink Congrats to Mali as well! She's a speedy youngster. Big grin

Rick
                          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

The Greatest of All Time

Way to go Crabby. Well done! Can I pah-lese have your job now?
                            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Dog-Love

That's so awesome Crabby! Way to shatter your goal! Congratulations! Wink Congrats to Mali as well! She's a speedy youngster. Big grin
                              Shatter is going to be my word of the day now!!! Thanks all of you guys! My daughter is awesome and I am really proud of her. Marcus if I give you my job it comes with my14-year old son who I love very much...but man is he a lot of work...very moody! Also you have to get up at 5:00 am (not for a run) but because that is when the low tides are and meet 28 grouchy marine bio students. OK still not that bad. I cannot do Bay Area traffic anymore! Also its snowing again today so you gotta love Alaska weather!
                                congratulations to both you and Mali! Awesome splits too - very consistent!