More question on Garmin 305, yes another potential convert... (Read 1574 times)

Prophet!

I've just got the clear from the wife to buy this thing for 'joint' purpose...she'll be using it mainly for outrigger paddling and paddleboarding, and i'll be using it for running. Is the HRM strap pretty adjustable, is it pretty comfortable for women ? Has anybody heard of any comments or have used this unit for its durability in water sports ?

Marathonmanleto

It's fairly comfortable. Comparable to Polar strap. Not sure about female comfort--when my wife uses she only wears the watch and not the HR monitor. It is very adjustable and she should not have any problems getting in to fit just right. You will love it. Just know that when it's cloudy and rainy it can do some weird stuff. Of course that may not be as much of a concern for you. Good luck.

Prophet!

hmm..so it doesn't perform well in cloudy and rainy conditions ? It actually rains quite a bit even in Honolulu and cloud cover can be pretty heavy too on non tradewinds day...what sort of weird things does it do ?

Marathonmanleto

It gives false readings occasionally. For instance, it may say my pace is 8:45 when it's more like 7:30. I must qualify this though because once stopped it adjusts to final coordinates and gives accurate info. It's a great tool. Don't get me wrong. I love it and it really adds another dimension to running, especially if you're training for a race. For many years I have run without anything but my watch and the sound of the great outdoors. I now run with a GPS watch and an ipod and must say they have greatly improved my ability to get out the door.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

HRM strap is great, and works as a nipple guard in men! I have very rare problems with reception, generally clouds cause no issues for me. Nor do trees. Big tall city buildings and mountains have given me trouble.
            vicentefrijole

It gives false readings occasionally. For instance, it may say my pace is 8:45 when it's more like 7:30.
              I've noticed this too, but, frankly, I find the "instantaneous" pace measurement is always a little inaccurate, even in good weather. However, I get all the information I need by checking my mile or half-mile splits (which you can easily set up to record automatically). I think mile splits are more informative anyways (considering hills, minor changes in pace, etc). And for the average user, I think the inacurracies on a cloudy day aren't really going to be a bother. Tall buildings, etc, can be a problem, but usually once I've made a satellite connection (which can be tricky), it doesn't lose it. I don't know the H2O answer, but I think you'd better do more research on the water-resistance issue.. I know it does fine if it's rained on, sweat on, run under the faucet. And I think I've heard of triathletes using these during swimming? But if not, that could be an expensive mistake!
              Scout7

Garmin claims the watch unit is water resistant to a meter. That being said, I would never swim with it on my wrist. Most of the triathletes I know that use it while swimming put it in a waterproof bag and tuck it under their swimcaps. I would say that, short of swimming with it, you should be fine to wear it in a boat.
                vicentefrijole

Most of the triathletes I know that use it while swimming put it in a waterproof bag and tuck it under their swimcaps.
                  That's a great idea! Must look funny, but great!
                  I would say that, short of swimming with it, you should be fine to wear it in a boat.
                  Just don't rock the boat! Big grin

Prophet!

Just don't rock the boat! Big grin
                    heh..that would be hard...most of the paddling runs they do are downwind runs where they ride ocean swells, it can get pretty big sometimes...i wonder how the reception will be if the receiver is in a waterproof bag ?

Prophet!

Yup, its a done deal. ..ordered it from Amazon...260 w/ shipping, plus got a 60 dollar cashback from an old discover card and the 50 rebate, so total $150.00 . Not a bad deal. Can't wait for it to get here. The main problem with the old version as far as ocean paddling goes is corrosion in the USB port..that's been sort of fixed in the 305 but corrosion may still be a problem. Might have to put it in a zip lock bag or something for the canoe.
                        Chiming in on the comfort factor for women... I'm fairly small framed (5'3", 105 lbs) and have a 305. The heart rate monitor strap is comfortable, but I find the watch itself can get rather uncomfortable after 7-8 miles. The problem for me is that I have small wrists and my wrist bone is constantly banging against or rubbing against the side of the watch. After 12+ mile runs, my wrist is thoroughly bruised. But, I love the data it provides, so to me, it's worth it.
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

But, I love the data it provides, so to me, it's worth it.
                          Are the data extractable, so that you can put it in a spreadsheet and do your own analyses?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Are the data extractable, so that you can put it in a spreadsheet and do your own analyses?
                            Yep. Exports to a text file so you can fiddle with it in Excel. The software that comes with it leaves a lot to be desired, imho. There was a thread going around the other day about freeware that works with the 305 that lots of folks were raving about. I haven't used it yet, but people seem to love it. http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/Downloads/index.html