Night Running (Read 837 times)

arctic_09

Hey All, I have been around for a little while, but this is my first post. Anyways I had a question about running in the dark/dusk. When I get up for work it is completely black outside and when I come home from work it is also completely black outside (you have to love winter). Anyways, I have just been running in the dark while wearing as light of clothes as possible so cars have a chance of seeing me. I live in the country so it is two miles to town where I do the majority of my running, but I still have to do the two miles where there are no lights. Anyways, I was just curious if anyone has tried or uses a head lamp, such as the following: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47967796&parent_category_rn=4500596 I was just curious if you think it would be a good idea to purchase something like this. Right now I run on the left side of the road and when a car is coming I jump into the grass if I feel unsafe, but lately I think this "rough" pattern is affecting my legs because my legs are starting to hurt. Well, that's my story/question. Any thoughts? Thanks

Cryptic

I have never used the head lamp. I end up running in the dark more than i would like as well. I just put on a reflective light weight mesh vest with tons of reflective stuff on it. something like this http://www.weplay.com/running/vests/

You'll ruin your knees!

I guess it depends on what you want from the light. Are you wanting to be more visable to oncoming traffic, or to see better? If visibility is the key, I would go for the reflective vest like Geoff said. If you want visibility, I actually prefer a handheld light. I use this a lot when running where there is traffic ... http://www.princetontec.com/products/index.php?id=21&type=3&use=0 This puts out a good light for seeing what is in front of you, and because it is LED, will run on one set of batteries for about 70 hours. The handheld is also good because you can flash an oncoming driver to make sure they see you. I notice a considerable difference when I have the light versus not having it (but of course, I don't have a reflective vest). Also, if you are going for being able to see what's in front of you, the handheld will give you better shadow definition of obstacles than will a headlamp (due to the angle). Good luck, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I use a headlamp (because I don't like carrying anything in my hands when I'm running). I have the following, and it works great. It is light weight, has a variety of settings, you can adjust the angle to light up the road in front of you, and it definitely gets the attention of oncoming cars. I can see, and I am seen. http://www.princetontec.com/products/index.php?id=9&type=1&use=0
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
          arctic_09

Thanks for the input. I want the light to see and be seen so simply reflective gear is out. Since I am running on "country-ish" roads the texture of the road can change from day-to-day so I think being able to see would definately improve my run. I agree with Pron8r that I don't think I would like to carry anything in my hand while running. I cannot even stand to have gloves on unless I absolutely have to due to weather. I think I will go with the head lamp. I guess I will do a little research on weight, battery life, durability, and whatever else I can come up with. Thank for the input
            Scout7

I have seen in some stores arm bands that have blinky LEDs on them. Or, you can get one that clips on and wear that instead. Since your goal is to be seen by drivers and not necessarily concerned with your own vision or whatever (you know what I mean), I would look at something like that as well, but I would definitely consider wearing some form of reflective vest or belt to give drivers a better sense of what is coming at them. I know I would get freaked out by a random light heading straight at me on my side of the road.

You'll ruin your knees!

Thanks for the input. I want the light to see and be seen so simply reflective gear is out. Since I am running on "country-ish" roads the texture of the road can change from day-to-day so I think being able to see would definately improve my run. I agree with Pron8r that I don't think I would like to carry anything in my hand while running. I cannot even stand to have gloves on unless I absolutely have to due to weather. I think I will go with the head lamp. I guess I will do a little research on weight, battery life, durability, and whatever else I can come up with. Thank for the input
                Headlight, got it... I have this one and it gives me flexibility, my favorite headlamp... http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/spot.php Good luck, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Teechur

I just ran in the dark this morning. The vest is great since cars can see you a mile away. Definitely wear a vest and consider a blinky light. But the flashlight helps you see obstacles, such as that racoon that was hit by a car three weeks ago. I think I'd rather see that coming, than have the experience of meeting him and his little maggot friends close up! Potholes are another big concern...broken ankle anyone? I wear a headlamp. If it starts to bother me, I wrap it around my hand. I don't worry about it if there are streetlights, but definitely use it where there aren't. One thing to remember is that one or the other probably isn't enough. If you have a headlamp no one can see you from behind, so a vest would be good for that. Also one of the most dangerous times is twilight when the sun is going down and in drivers' eyes, so a neon vest makes you much more visible than a light. It'll feel funky at first, but you get used to it.