Cold run! (Read 912 times)

Encouragement welcome

I just came back from my first attempted cold run.  Lol. It's 34 with a windchill of 26.  I honestly just wanted to see what it would be like.  Once I finished my warmup walk, I wasn't cold anyplace other than my butt and the tips of my fIngers. Only my eye area was exposed.

Wearing:

Underarmour all season running tights

long sleeved tech shirt

Underarmour Storm Fleece running jacket

ankle socks

Buff - pulled up as a balaclava

Asics Cumulus 13 shoes

(Underwear, of course)

cheap knit  gloves

I felt nice and toasty.  Still, I don't think I kept my calves warm enough.  Even after my 5 minute warmup walk, They didn't seem cold, but I starting feeling strained muscles on the outsides after the next quarter mile.  I couldn't go further than a mile, total, and the pain made me limp back to the car.  I think my calf muscles didn't ever warm up by the time I started running.  

Should I have worn my compression sleeves on my shins, for warmth, do you think?

i had feared breathing in cold air, but the buff took care of that.  It was just a little tight feeling over my mouth and nose, and I'm a little claustrophobic, so II need to play with how to wear it.  

Other than the owwies, running in this weather was pretty decent. Smile. I kind of enjoyed it.

Pace Goal : 14 mm

5k Goal: 40 minutes

10k, half, and marathon someday....

(Hey, I'm just getting started!)

I love running in those temps! Beats running in the heat.
      Slo

I love running in those temps! Beats running in the heat.

+1

I'm a cold weather runner. I just got in from a 7 mile run at 25 deg's.

Dressing for the cold is going to be an individual thing. The biggest thing about beating the cold is not letting the thought of it beat you.

I just came back from my first attempted cold run.  Lol. It's 34 with a windchill of 26.  I honestly just wanted to see what it would be like.  Once I finished my warmup walk, I wasn't cold anyplace other than my butt and the tips of my fIngers. Only my eye area was exposed.

Wearing:

Underarmour all season running tights

long sleeved tech shirt

Underarmour Storm Fleece running jacket

ankle socks

Buff - pulled up as a balaclava

Asics Cumulus 13 shoes

(Underwear, of course)

cheap knit  gloves

I felt nice and toasty.  Still, I don't think I kept my calves warm enough.  Even after my 5 minute warmup walk, They didn't seem cold, but I starting feeling strained muscles on the outsides after the next quarter mile.  I couldn't go further than a mile, total, and the pain made me limp back to the car.  I think my calf muscles didn't ever warm up by the time I started running.  

Should I have worn my compression sleeves on my shins, for warmth, do you think?

i had feared breathing in cold air, but the buff took care of that.  It was just a little tight feeling over my mouth and nose, and I'm a little claustrophobic, so II need to play with how to wear it.  

Other than the owwies, running in this weather was pretty decent. Smile. I kind of enjoyed it.

Minnesotan here!  It was a very nice beautiful calm day at 12F upon sunset--absolutely beautiful with sky being purple!!  My sciatica was bad today (it's been bothering me since July though it's getting much better...) so I didn't get to go very far.  But this is the 21st year in Minnesota and I've had my share of very cold days.  

Only thing I might have to recommend for your clothing is gloves.  I wear simple gardening gloves, something like $7 for 6 pairs, and they work beautifully!!  One time I was running with a girl I was coaching and she had a pair of fancy Nike gloves her boyfriend gave her.  She was complaining her hands getting too cold so I switched the gloves with hers.  These Nike gloves let the wind go right through!!  She couldn't believe how such cost-effective gloves work so much better than $20 for a pair brand-name gloves!!  I don't know if you had wind when you ran today but knitted gloves will have wind go right through and won't help your hands much on the windy days.  Unless you want some fancy brand-name gloves, I highly recommend typical gardening gloves.

In regards to your calves, I don't know how the road condition was--we've got dumped yesterday with some 10-inch snow--but if it's snowy and icy, chances are that your calves were pulled extra further and might have easily strained.  It could be possible, I guess, but I don't know if you'll get sore calves from being cold.  Besides, I've never tried those compression socks but, it seems to me, that it would somewhat restrict blood flow which you do want on cold days.  Maybe one of those pathetic looking high-knee basketball socks might work better to keep your calves warm but compression socks would probably go the wrong direction.  It may work, who knows, but I'll bet my money on the opposite.

A few years ago, I went for a run at 6PM on this typical MN winter day.  It was completely calm, the full moon was shining and everything looked blue.  All I heard was my footsteps and breathing...  That was one of the most beautiful runs I had ever had and still treasure that experience.  It was minus 10F.

You obviously live in a different climate than I do. Smile    Today is a day I'd be thrilled with 34 (26 wind chill).    Seems like trying the  compression sleeves on your shins might be worth a try (or maybe the pathetic looking high-knee basketball socks as suggested by the previous poster).  Sounds like you've got everything else working right.

Thats rad

28 degrees at 5 am down here in coastal North Carolina. All I wore was my normal running shorts, a t-shirt, and a fleece pull-over. I love running early morning cold, its extremely quiet and still. But for the cold, it's all about your mindset. Don't think about the cold, just run.

StepbyStep-SH

Wisconsin here - it was 23* and a bit breezy this morning. I dressed basically the same as you, other than a pair of fleece convertible mittens, which I flipped back a few times when my hands got too warm.

I've never had muscle soreness from cold, but it could definitely be from adjusting to the footing if you were running on snow. I know my hips got a good workout today.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Sharz96

I'm a cold weather runner, too.  Chicago area.  It takes a couple runs to adjust to it again each fall, but once I do, low 30s is my favorite temp for running. 

I would seriously overheat in what the OP wore.  My 10 mile run yesterday was in 33F and dropping, wind rising as rain/sleet came in. No hat, just an UA headband to cover the ears.  I wore gloves for the first 10 minutes until warmed up, but then took them off until mile 6, when I turned right into a very stiff wind.  Great run--loved it, right until the sleet hit in the last mile and a half or so.  And even that wasn't bad--light, just enough to motivate me to finish faster. 

Congrats on getting out there! As you spend more time outdoors, you'll probably get used to it more and not need things like balaclavas when it's above freezing. I've only worn a balaclava once so far this year, for a below zero run (-9F, with wind chill -18F), but I find them constrictive so avoid wearing them unless it's really cold.

The important thing is for you find what works to keep you comfortable as you adjust to cold-weather running. I recommend clothing that is adjustable--jackets with underarm zippers to vent heat when you start to get too warm, shirts with neck zippers, jackets with arms that zip off to turn into vests. And outerwear with pockets so that you can stash gloves, hat, or whatever if you don't need it. 

Oh, and on days when you need extra warmth for the hip/thigh area, I recommend swapping your undies for compression shorts under your tights (by the way, there's no "of course" with underwear--many runners don't wear it under tights or shorts).

I wonder whether a "warmup walk" is a good idea when it's very cold? You don't want to let yourself get even colder, so maybe starting out with gentle jogging is better?

Disney freak

I wonder, too, since yesterday I was cold during my warm up and cool down.  But once I got going, I was fine.  I don't want to wear a jacket for only 5 minutes at beginning/end just to have to carry it around my waist for the next 5 miles.

Lisa Marie

• first 5K on 12/8/12 - 39:14
                        • first 10K on 1/12/13 - 1:23:45
                        • upcoming races: Hypnotic Donut Dash - 1/26, Hot Chocolate 5K 2/9, Rock n Roll half relay 3/24
                        • training for Big D half on 4/14

not lazy, just tired

I start out with a slow jog since I dress lighter than would be comfortable for walking when it's cold.

Congrats on getting out there! As you spend more time outdoors, you'll probably get used to it more and not need things like balaclavas when it's above freezing. I've only worn a balaclava once so far this year, for a below zero run (-9F, with wind chill -18F), but I find them constrictive so avoid wearing them unless it's really cold.

And I agree with this. I've run in temps down to 8° - 10° and haven't yet used a balaclava. Wear them all the time for skiing, but not yet for running. I love getting out in the cold, hate summer's heat and humidity.

Not if it makes sense.

Roadrunner's Apprentice

Here in PA it hasn't gotten really cold yet.  This is my first winter running outside and I've done one run in the low 30's this fall, wearing 3 layers on top (dri-fit shirt as base, long sleeve over that, and dri-fit pullover), dri-fit pants, and gloves.  As it gets colder I expect a hat and earmuffs will be in order.

After finishing 4 miles I got a real kick out of seeing the steam rising off my shoulders.  Definitely more fun than the brutal July heat.

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

My favorite thing is when the sweat comes up through my hat or earband and freezes. Makes me feel all badass.
                              oriwoi

spam