maybe time for a new Garmin (Read 286 times)

kcam

Dave - how long have you had your 220?  I ask because when I first got my 220 the satellite lock was, as you said, almost instantaneous.  But after a few weeks it became much more hit-n-miss.  Sometimes it was quick (though never quite like when I first got it) and sometimes it took as long as my old 205/305s.  I finally figured out that the thing caches satellite maps in the background without telling you.  But only if you use Garmin Express and "Sync" it.  the cached satellite constellation maps are good for about a week.  Once I figured this out I sync using GE once a week and I have lightning fast locks all the time now.  I don't use Garmin accounts for anything else other than updating the map.  I upload to RA using USB like you do.  Also when I travel I do a sync to get a local map.  Just an FYI.

Dave - how long have you had your 220?  I ask because when I first got my 220 the satellite lock was, as you said, almost instantaneous.  But after a few weeks it became much more hit-n-miss.  Sometimes it was quick (though never quite like when I first got it) and sometimes it took as long as my old 205/305s.  I finally figured out that the thing caches satellite maps in the background without telling you.  But only if you use Garmin Express and "Sync" it.  the cached satellite constellation maps are good for about a week.  Once I figured this out I sync using GE once a week and I have lightning fast locks all the time now.  I don't use Garmin accounts for anything else other than updating the map.  I upload to RA using USB like you do.  Also when I travel I do a sync to get a local map.  Just an FYI.

Thanks for the heads up. I've had it a few months. (I thought maybe RA would tell me which device each workout was loaded from, to figure out exactly when I started using it, but I don't see it anywhere.) I read something like this, along the lines that it will take longer if you are in a new location. I have not yet found this to be the case, and have used it in quite a few different places while traveling on business, both domestic & international.

And I am always guarded in any optimism about Garmin products anyway, just from everything I read here. I had no problems with the clip connector of the 210 for the first few months I owned it, before it went haywire. So I fully expect the possibility of losing any features I like about the 220 eventually. So we'll see.

Dave

Garmin connect tells you which device you used.

Also, you guys, see the last 2 runs in my training log? Those were uploaded to RA from my 220 without ever connecting a cable or worrying about pluggins or USB ports. The future is coming. You may want a garmin connect account if you don't already have one.

Runners run

kcam

mikey, was that done via a bluetooth connection to your phone, then sync to Garmin connect, then export to TCX, then import the TCX to RA?  I do that for most of my runs that are done at noon at work (when I don't have the 'clip' hooked to my computer.  Or is there a better way?

Bluetooth synched to garmin connect which then auto synched to RA.

Runners run

kcam

Eric's been busy, apparently.  C'mon, out with the info and/or the release!!

He's working on it.

Runners run

Candi

I've a garmin forerunner 210 which takes ages (up to several minutes) to connect to satellite.

It has days when it won't connect or disconnects half way through a run.

Is this a common problem, or did I buy a "monday" unit (put together wrong by a guy with a hangover ?

I've a garmin forerunner 210 which takes ages (up to several minutes) to connect to satellite.

It has days when it won't connect or disconnects half way through a run.

Is this a common problem, or did I buy a "monday" unit (put together wrong by a guy with a hangover ?

I think a pretty common problem. I would hang mine on the doorknob while I got ready, to give it some time to connect. There were days when I ended up just starting the run, then it would connect by ~0.1 miles. Although I never had it disconnect during a run. If it's under warranty, get it fixed/refurbished. Otherwise, my recommendation is to tough it out until it dies completely, then buy a 220.

Dave

Is this for real? Man, I wish I knew this. When my 210 died several months ago, I bought a new 220. I still have the 210, but too late to do anything about it now. Until I am ready for another new one when my 220 dies, but not sure if they accept 2 trade-ins at that point.

Anyway, I am very happy with the 220 so far. Display readability is improved vs. 210. You will lose a bit of functionality vs. 610/620; not sure how much you need, and not sure how important the touch screen is to you. By far the best improvement is how quickly it picks up a signal; it is virtually instantaneous. Which is a dream, because the 210 was pretty inconsistent in how long you'd have to wait; sometimes it would be quite a while. Also the USB connection reliability is significantly improved; the 210 clip connector is notoriously erratic. (Although I am still nervous about this happening to the 220, you never know about these things.) Important to me because I just upload the files manually to RA off the watch via USB. I don't use Garmin Communicator or Garmin Connect, and I have no Garmin account.

It is for real......I called Garmin a month or s ago and was asking them about the features of a Fore Runner 15 and told them my old 205 was dead..    The guy asked me where it was because he said I could trad it in and get about 50% off if I bought a Fore Runner 15........of course, i had thrown it in the trash about a week before because it wouldn't come on any longer....

SO YES....

Champions are made when no one is watching