Minor injury - what do I do? (Read 569 times)

Now that was a bath...

At the begining of my run this morning I was moving to the right to run past a walker and a dip between the concrete and the grass caught me out and I rolled my left ankle. The sudden twist felt like a slight burn and I stopped to assess the damage. When I started running again I was still aware of the burn (very minor) so I stopped again for a few seconds before continuing. I cut my run short and walked a few times on the return leg as I didn't want to overdo it. Since then my calf (just above my ankle) and ankle feel a bit tight. I have no run planned for tomorrow as I am resting before my longer run the day after. If I rest tomorrow all day and switch my long run to the evening of the following day, will I be ok to run? It strikes me as a very minor injury, not painful, just noticeable, but I have no idea as to the protocol in these situations. Can I keep on running after resting up for one and a half days? Thanks in advance. Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

General rule for minor injuries is RICE... Rest...Ice...Compression...Elevation. In other words, take a few days off, ice the thing, wrap it, and elevate it (above heart level... GREAT excuse to lay on couch and take up the whole thing... Evil grin ) Depends on how bad it hurts and what you did for how long you should stay off it. If it hurts to run or gets worse during a run, stop and let it heal longer. In general, if something isn't getting significantly better within 3 days, call a doc. If it continues to be okay, you might want to just make sure to GENTLY stretch your calf before and after. And take it easy on that first run back - better safe than sorry!

Roads were made for journeys...

Prophet!

i'd just rest it as well till it feels better and like wingz said, RICE it out... otherwise if you run on it you'll end up favoring it slightly and flare up some other pain somewhere else..of course I don't listen to my own advice and you're probably like me and end up running on it after a day and a half or rest.. Wink
        JakeKnight

Can I keep on running after resting up for one and a half days?
          Yes. Probably. If you're reporting it accurately - if all you feel is a "bit of tightness" - then run. Just listen to your body. See how it feels before your run, and after you warm-up. And warm-up thoroughly, and be ready to go a bit slower. Or maybe ignore all of that and just run. You were going to anyway, weren't you? I sort of doubt much short of a compound fracture would slow you down. So have fun. Smile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Now that was a bath...

Thanks for the advice - it really feels better today (akthough I have only been out of bed ten minutes - yes, RA was the first thing I did today!). I definitely will rest it as much as possible. Jake - what can I say - you always make me laugh. You're right too. I have every intention of trying a run tomorrow like you and Phat's say. How does it go again 'Runner's run'. Of course runner's don't run if they exaccerbate a minor injury - so I will take it carefull. My main concern has been what Phat's pointed out - if I run I might favor the leg slightly and cause additional problems. Claire xxx
          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
            vicentefrijole

Of course runner's don't run if they exaccerbate a minor injury -
              I don't think I'd be able to keep myself from running either.. hehe. But, as a word of caution, maybe run your first mile or two in a smaller loop close to your home/car? That way if it get's bad you don't have as far to go to get home... being injured is bad but there's nothing worse than making things worse becuase you have to walk home on an injured leg/foot. Tongue