Chicago runners: where can I run hills?? (Read 1009 times)

der_lizzard

I live in Lincoln Park and I'm training for a hilly half marathon this fall.  Where can I find hills in the city to train on?  I'm willing to do endless repetitions on the same hill if I have to - any suggestions?  I'll drive if I must (Mount Trashmore in Evanston is one idea) but I would love to find something within running or biking distance of my home near DePaul (or at least someplace with easy parking if I have to drive).  

Kalsarikännit

Your best bet is the treadmill. We have absolutely nothing. I am in Andersonville and I do repeats at Cricket Hill at the path and Montrose. It is a solid 15 feet. The other option is the sled hill next to Soldier Field.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

so what you are saying is that cricket hill is really only a hill to crickets

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I live in Lincoln Park and I'm training for a hilly half marathon this fall.

What marathon?

Feeling the growl again

We used to loop over an OK hill running the Loyola Univ cross country course.  It's been a long time but I believe it was in the park near Motrose Harbor south of the Loyola campus.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kalsarikännit

We used to loop over an OK hill running the Loyola Univ cross country course.  It's been a long time but I believe it was in the park near Motrose Harbor south of the Loyola campus.

That is Cricket Hill.  And srl is right.  It is only a hill to small insects.  I go to the base and do 10 second hill sprints to the top.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

That is Cricket Hill.  And srl is right.  It is only a hill to small insects.  I go to the base and do 10 second hill sprints to the top.

Yeah.  It's all relative.  Those of us that trained on ski hills were not impressed but the lower MI flatlanders thought it was significant.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Imminent Catastrophe

I've been known to run stairwells in highrise hotels when there's no other option. Seriously. It's a good workout.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

What about Montrose Harbor? 

Yeah.  It's all relative.  

For sure..I ran a half marathon along the Lake Shore Path a couple weeks ago and overheard someone say "these hills are really getting to me." 

I've always found the bridges and the ramps from lower to upper wacker are about the closest things to hills.  If you do venture north towards Evanston, there is quite a bit more though I agree that it would be a pain.

johnnygbhm

Drive out to Lemont.  Plenty of hills to run. 

flyingdog147

Check out Highland Park -- The North Shore Half Marathon route has a few decent ones...