Alaska Marathons (Read 492 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm looking for a good Alaska marathon, with emphasis on scenery and nice friendly atmosphere. Don't care about spectators or a "fast" course. Alaska runners, help me out!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

My friend here in NC ran an Alaska marathon last year. He said it was very beautiful and scenic. I will ask him which one he did.
        Mayor's Marathon in Anchorage I want to try the Yukon River Trail Marathon. (the half version!)

Vim

Sandi Sue

Mayor's Marathon in Anchorage I want to try the Yukon River Trail Marathon. (the half version!)
          There's another Anchorage marathon that was called Humpy's Marathon in held in August (I think they're calling it something else this year.) There's the very hilly Equinox Marathon in Fairbanks and several smaller communities in SE Alaska host a marathon; Prince of Wales Island in May, Juneau in August (my hometown) and I believe that Ketchikan also hosts one. If you're looking for a small town feel, the Juneau folks will even pick you up from the airport if you need a ride. Check it out on www.southeastroadrunners.org

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

evanflein

Hey PerfesserR, if you want a nice fast one, the Humpy's course in Achorage (mid-August) is good, it's where I got my first BQ time. Beautiful views of Cook Inlet, and the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail is very nice... but it is all pavement for the most part (bike path and streets) and really isn't unlike a lot of other marathons you could run in the states. However... if you are up to a challenge and want some "real" Alaska trail running... you really should consider the Equinox in September. Absolutely stunning views... Here's part of the trail Here's the profile... View of town looking southeast from the top Here's the website for all the information you could want...(I see it's "under construction" now so you might need to bookmark it and check back later. http://www.equinoxmarathon.org/ Let me know if you want any other info on it. It's my favorite, I've done it 3 times so far (was my first!) and I plan on doing it every year I'm able... Marathon maniac #685

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Wow, I thought the hills at Big Sur were tough!

left-right-left-right-repeat

Bugs

The Alaska Salmon Runs Marathon looks unique. They have a car follow every runner so you get eaten by a bear.

Bugs

evanflein

Bugs, they don't do that race every year... and there's no 2008 information on the web site. I sent an e-mail to the organizers, and it came back as undeliverable. So... hard to say what this year will bring! It does look like fun though, and there's a 10k and 5k also... Hey, my DH said if you come up here for it, he'll run it with you!