How long did it take for you to enter your first race? (Read 822 times)

delicate flower

I signed up for a 5K just a couple weeks after I started running.  My friends wanted to run one and invited me along.  I was able to run three miles pretty much right out of the gate, so it didn't take much convincing.  Running them quickly was a whole 'nother beast. 

<3

Slo

You mean I should have been running before I did my 1st race.

I started running the week after I ran my 1st 4 mile race.

npaden

I am another one of the race before you train folks.

I think I ran 4 5K's over about a 20 year time frame without ever really training for any of them.  I might have run a mile or two before them, but they were for sure equal to any training distance that I had run up until the race day.  I walked at some point in most of them to catch my breath and then soldiered on.  Needless to say, I didn't enjoy running or racing at the time, I would just enter one every few years to run with my wife after I forgot how bad it sucked last time.  Shockingly, somewhere in there I ran a 24 something 5K and that was even with taking a few walk breaks during it.  I think being 28 at the time and in relatively good shape from other recreational pursuits helped quite a bit.  I'm also still not sure that course wasn't short, I remember having a goal time of 27 minutes or something like that so I was shocked when I ran a 24 something.  At the time I didn't care enough to even remember what my actual time was and I've since looked for the results and couldn't find them. 

When I actually started "training" for real, it was not to run in a race, but to get in shape for elk hunting.  I had crossed the magical threshold of 40 years of life and needed to do something to get me moving and not being a fat slob.  Running was the easiest thing although I still didn't enjoy it.  After working out for about 6 months and getting up to a long run of over 8 miles at a 10:00 pace, my wife convinced me that we should sign up for a race together.  That was almost exactly a year ago now.  In less than 2 weeks and I will be running that same race again this year and have run almost a dozen races since then.  Now I'm training to do well in races more than to just be in decent shape for hunting.  Shockingly the races don't suck near as bad when you actually train for them and are almost competitive in your age group.  I think I actually almost enjoy running now.

Last night I did a 6 mile Tempo run at an average pace of 8:29 on the course that the 4 mile race will be on next Saturday (It's a fairly tough 2 mile loop cross country course).  Last year I ran the 4 mile race at a 9:09 pace and this year I'm going to target a 7:30 pace as my A goal.  Last year I finished the year with 265 miles of running and was just amazed at how many miles I got in.  This year I will end up with over 1,000 more miles than I ran last year.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I walked a bunch of 5Ks over the years, and a number of races after that from 5K to 10 miles when I was training to walk a half-marathon. It wasn't until after I walked the HM that I decided to run the next one, so by the time I took up running I'd participated in a number of races.

Once I started running, it was about 2 months before that year's Drumstick Dash. Pretty sure that was the first race I ran (not counting a 5K back in the '80s).

Mmmmm...beer

I started running in April, and signed up for my first 5k as soon as I was running 3 miles on a regular basis, which was around May, and the race was the first week of June.  By the time my 5k rolled around, I was up to 5 miles, so I signed up for an 8k the following week.  I have a weird thing about wanting to know I can run the distance before entering a race.  Before I did my first half, I had run 13 miles twice.  I know most training programs don't have you do that, but I like it.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Anonymous Guest

I started running in November 2007 so that I could run a half marathon in April 2008. Told my sister I'd start running and come back to our home town to run it. Apparently as soon as I got out of the car at the airport, my mom told my sister that I'd never do it. So I started with C25K, then built up a long run to I think 9 miles. Went back an ran the half.

Have now run 20 marathons or longer (15 marathons, 4 50ks and 1 50 miler), 16 half marathons and a bunch of shorter distances.

Who's laughing now, Mom?

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

mikeymike

I'd have to figure out what my first race was and I don't think I remember that far back...

Runners run

I started running in November 2007 so that I could run a half marathon in April 2008. Told my sister I'd start running and come back to our home town to run it. Apparently as soon as I got out of the car at the airport, my mom told my sister that I'd never do it. So I started with C25K, then built up a long run to I think 9 miles. Went back an ran the half.

Have now run 20 marathons or longer (15 marathons, 4 50ks and 1 50 miler), 16 half marathons and a bunch of shorter distances.

Who's laughing now, Mom?

It is amazing what parents' demotivational comments can do to inspire a person. :-)  (Same here on a father who has never run a mile and said I never would either  :-)  That was all the motivation I needed...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

BostonRnr

My first run was a race. I hated running but my coworkers convinced me to run the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge (about 3.5 miles), instead of walking as I had planned. I ran half the race and it didn't suck. 12 years later, I'm still running.

#artbydmcbride

2 months

Runners run

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

I've only been "running" for two months and have not even considered entering a race.  How about you?

I started running in November 2009; first race was a 5 miler in April 2010.  I swore I'd never race again.  It was 50 degrees, pouring rain and the route literally ran past our home.  All I had to do was run into the house and dry off, lay down and take a nap.  I didn't.  I finished and got first in my AG. 

I was shocked to say the least.  I was cursing the whole time though.  I didn't understand why anyone would run in those conditions. 

Now?  I get it.

qwerty85

I've only been "running" for two months and have not even considered entering a race.  How about you?

It was about 8 or 9 months if I remember right between starting to run and running my first 5K.

I'm happy it went that way.

SheCan

Almost a year.  I didn't even occur to me that I could actually race for a long time.  Plus I took a LOT of time building up my run to 3 miles--- just about that whole year *blushes*  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

sugnim

32 years.

I am The Tortoise

I ran my first 5k race on Feb 4, 2012, and then started running for fitness on Feb 5, 2012.