What's in store... (Read 883 times)

va

Hi Eric Smile: Warning: crazy RA junkie idea... How do you keep track of all of the feature requests that people make? Do you use some kind of database? Do you prioritize feature requests? What items are near the top of the list? What updates do you have planned? Have you though about publishing this info in some form. I am like a kid in a candy shop, and I want to know what you've got behind the counter... Big grin Please feel free to ignore this request
    JakeKnight

You know, Eric, this is actually a pretty good idea. Not just for us - for YOU. If you'd stick your "to do" list up somewhere, in order of priority, maybe with a rough estimated date of completion for each thing, you might get a lot less repeat requests - and have to respond to a lot fewer questions in the forum.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

eric :)

How do you keep track of all of the feature requests that people make? Do you use some kind of database?
        For the longest time, I had a locked thread in this forum that I use to track the requests. That became inadequate after a few months and I switched over to use a package called FogBugz. It's probably slightly overkill to use such a system since I'm the only one working on the site. It did make my life a little easier because I can search for a particular feature/bug, track when it was filed and when it was completed.
        Do you prioritize feature requests?
        When a feature/bug request comes in, it is categorized into the area that it belongs to (i.e. training log, tools, forums, groups, etc). It is also prioritized. A bug will always have a higher priority than a feature. A feature is prioritized by how many people will benefit from it. So searching in the forums will have a higher priority than probably many other features.
        What items are near the top of the list? What updates do you have planned? Have you though about publishing this info in some form.
        I'm sure you have noticed that I rarely publicize what I'm working on. I like to think that I'm a good programmer, but even so, some of these features are very time consuming. I don't want to make public of everything I do just to find out some other site beat me to it because it has more man power than I do. Yes, you can call me paranoid and insane. I've already mentioned this in another post, so I can repeat it here. I'm currently working on adding searching to forums so you can search for keywords. You'll also be able to search for posts in your groups, as well as searching for groups by their descriptions. Most of the hard parts are done. The trickiest part is what we take for granted: displaying a snippet of each post containing the search term. I think I need about another weekend or so to complete it, barring any unseen circumstances, like some football game or something. eric Smile
        dillydoodles

Hi Eric, Last summer you said... [I started keeping a record of my daily runs using Microsoft Excel back in 2003. The advantage of using Excel was I can create graphs to my heart's content. Aside from the obvious daily/weekly/monthly distance graphs that some sites offer, I would like to see how my pace is affected by temperature, or if I run better at a certain time of day. As I accumulated more data from runs, it became more tedious to create the graphs. It would be nice to be able to create the charts with a few key presses. It was then that I decided to move to a web based solution.] I am much more than pleased with all the features this site has to offer. I truly appreciate all the countless hours you have devoted to making it as bug-free and user-friendly as possible. This place is awesome! I think your number one priority should be to enjoy your runs and enjoy tracking them, creating features for the site that interest you, as time permits, and to try and avoid techie burn-out. Giving a product (and your precious time) away 'for free' is very noble, and we are very grateful, but I worry that you could start to feel overwhelmed and possibly even start to resent the constant requests for more, more, more... You have already succeeded in creating the best running log on the web. Any new features you add will be icing on the cake. Please feel free to watch as much football or participate in any other activity as much as your heart desires. Just as long distance runners benefit from rest weeks, where they cut back on distance and maybe skip the long run entirely, so does the owner of this site deserve a break. Smile Thank you very much for all you do. ~ Arlene
          va

... I'm sure you have noticed that I rarely publicize what I'm working on. I like to think that I'm a good programmer, but even so, some of these features are very time consuming. I don't want to make public of everything I do just to find out some other site beat me to it because it has more man power than I do. Yes, you can call me paranoid and insane...
            This make sense. Thanks for responding.
              Hey Eric, You can publicize and still be ahead of the game. 1. Compare yourself to microsoft. If half of your up-grades comeout within 3 years of advertised release date and do not crash your computer, you have done better than a whole bunch of programmers getting paid to attempt to dominate the world! 2. Announce expected complete dates far ahead of planned release (for example, seraching should be complete by Jan 2010). Then when it is done earlier (Dec 31st 2009), you have exceeded our expectations and think you are even more amazing! Tongue I personally kind of like the surprise when I see a new feature has been added. Big grin
                I think your number one priority should be to enjoy your runs and enjoy tracking them, creating features for the site that interest you, as time permits, and to try and avoid techie burn-out. Giving a product (and your precious time) away 'for free' is very noble, and we are very grateful, but I worry that you could start to feel overwhelmed and possibly even start to resent the constant requests for more, more, more...
                Well said! Don't forget to get out and run, see the roads and trees, and spend time on your other passions. -tom
                eric :)

I think your number one priority should be to enjoy your runs and enjoy tracking them, creating features for the site that interest you, as time permits, and to try and avoid techie burn-out. Giving a product (and your precious time) away 'for free' is very noble, and we are very grateful, but I worry that you could start to feel overwhelmed and possibly even start to resent the constant requests for more, more, more...
                  Honestly, I don't use half of the stuff that I created. I just wanted an easy way to play with my data. Nowadays, I do it because I like the challenge. It's fun to create new things, and more rewarding to know that someone finds them useful.
                  You have already succeeded in creating the best running log on the web. Any new features you add will be icing on the cake.
                  It's no where near the best, at least not close to anything that I've envisioned. That's a good thing because I can't get complacent. There is always room for improvement. The thing that frustrates me the most is I couldn't spend as much on it as I would like. As the site grows, more time is spent on administrative tasks than development. I made a point to reply to all emails that I receive because that's part of running a site. Some day, and it'll be sooner rather than later, I'll have to start replying to emails selectively, and that saddens me.
                  Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

... but is there any way that some of the 'admin' you mention could in some way be 'sub-contracted' to trustworthy individuals prepared to give time to help. Clearly that starts to bring issues with it in that to some extent it has left your control, but this is a great community, with some great people and maybe this could work (with suitable controls in place). Clearly there are problems with 'growing pains' and are a result of the great success that is RA! Neil Smile

Running ... just keep running!