Will the Garmin Forerunner 205 work on a bike or do I need a bike garmin? (Read 1423 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

And if so, which one do you recommend? (It's for a gift for my husband if that matters) Thanks! -Jill

Bring it on.

Chris UK

You can get a bike mount for the 205/305 from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10889-00-Forerunner-Quick-Release/dp/B000ONDECY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1218380584&sr=8-1 You will need to change from pace to speed in the menu - the handbook will show you how.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

I have been using my garmin on my bike for the last few weeks. (Strapped to my wrist). They do make a bike mount for it but I just ordered a Cateye bike computer. No gps but it will give me all the information I want, speed, cadence, distance. Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com
          I used my Garmin on my bike this weekend. Just took some foam and wraped it around the handle bars. Secured it with electrical tape. Put the Garmin right on there. That way I wasn't wearing the thing all day. Worked perfectly.
          Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You will need to change from pace to speed in the menu - the handbook will show you how.
            If you change the sport to biking, the default screens will be in speed units. To do this, hold down the mode button and wait for a selection menu. This way, you don't have to fiddle with your running menus.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I used my Garmin on my bike this weekend. Just took some foam and wraped it around the handle bars. Secured it with electrical tape. Put the Garmin right on there. That way I wasn't wearing the thing all day. Worked perfectly.
              x2 on this one. Cycling computers are apparently much more accurate than a garmin however as they get more precise measurements on speed and distance. Thus being said, I have no plans to buy a cycling computer anytime soon. Gotta love the Garmin!
                In theory, the bike computers which use a magnet on your spokes and a GMR sensor on your fork, are more accurate - IF - the GMR sensor is placed in the right spot on your fork, with close enough proximity to the magnet, and the GMR senses the magnet consistently every wheel rotation. However, I was never able to get my sensor mounted to the fork very securely and it would often slide around a little bit if I jumped a curb or mountain biked and got dirt in my spokes, or etc. This would make the GMR miss the magnet as it went by and miss a whole revolution of your wheel. I'd have to stop on occasion to reposition it. It would also measure distance incorrectly when I would ride wheelie's. I did that alot, miles at a time. Shocked Also, the wire kept coming loose from the display. They make wireless ones now. I don't even use it anymore, I have a Forerunner 205 that I strap to the handlebars, and it is much more dependable and consistant. The speed readout is actually more steady than my bike computer was. Also, it gives you elevation, compass, a map, etc. None of these are offered by a traditional bike computer.
                Jill_B

I fly.

Thank you all for your help. My husband took my garmin with him on his ride today and was very happy with it!

Bring it on.