Want to do a marathon.. Leaning towards Cowtown, Fort Worth (Read 531 times)

Len

Damn Yankee

During my run yesterday, I decided that I would like to train for and run my first marathon this winter. I live in NE Texas and am looking at Houston on Jan. 13, Austin on Feb. 17, and Cowtown on Feb. 23. From what I've read, Houston is probably the best one for me but I'm thinking that the extra month of training I would get from the other two would be helpful. Cowtown is the closest one to me; but I'm really hesitant after all the negative things that I have read about it. Any thoughts?

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Burninated Peasant

What negative things have you read about Cowtown? Just curious. I was planning on running the full marathon there in February as well. I did the half last February, and running for two miles on bricks towards the end of the race wasn't ideal, but I don't think the full marathon course does that.
      Len

Damn Yankee

I've been reading the race reviews on marathon guide.... http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=6080223 Of the events I'm considering Cowtown has the worst reviews of all of them. If you don't mind, read them and let me know if you think any of them have any merit.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Burninated Peasant

Hmmm. The negative comments that I saw focused on six things: 1. It's hilly 2. The timing chips didn't work some years 3. They ran out of sports drink at some stops/not enough drink stations 4. It's on a Saturday, so there's more vehicle traffic than most marathons 5. There's more interest in the shorter races that go with the marathon 6. No crowd support Hills happen. Timing chips were fixed in 2007 - they went with a new timing vendor. Saturday is an advantage for me despite the traffic, since I'm usually busier on Sundays. Also, I hate crowds, so lack of spectators is a non-issue for me. You have to expect more interest in the shorter races when the purpose of the marathon is to raise money to increase kids' fitness. Kids aren't often (and arguably shouldn't be) running marathons. The sports drink shortage could be a problem. I thought I read somewhere that they had a new sponsor lined up to fix that issue this year, but I don't see anything to that effect on their (nicely redesigned) web site, so maybe I'm just imagining things. It doesn't worry me much, but maybe that's because I'm not experienced enough to know better. I'm running Cowtown instead of the other ones that you mentioned mostly because I live in Fort Worth, so it's convenient. If I were going to have to travel and had that list of 3 to choose from, I'd pick Austin, but maybe that's just because I like the place for some reason...
          Len

Damn Yankee

I think I've pretty much decided on Cowtown. My wife would prefer to go there, and it's at least a three hour time drive difference (one way). I would think that the race officials will make a serious effort to correct the aid station issues, and the other complaints don't concern me too much. I am going to run Michael's Mile in FW on 11/03 (gotta support my police brethren), and the Tyler Half later that month. I'm a goal oriented kinda guy, and planning my first marathon in February of '08 will keep me motivated.

Burninated Peasant

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd probably prefer to skip the extra drive too. I had thought about doing that Mile run on the 3rd - I'm kind of curious how fast I could do one these days.
                Best on your training! I recommend you get there early. The cowtown packs up downtown! There is a video of the course narrated by David Finfrock (NBC weather guy) on the cowtown website. Last year they offered (from what I remember): -Fun Mile (for kids) -2 different 5Ks -10K -Half Marathon -Marathon This year they are adding an Ultra Marathon, if you want to go the extra distance. I hope to eventually do a marathon and maybe the cowtown with be the one I attempt. (I might just stick with Half Marathons as my upper distance)

Vim