15 year old marathoner (Read 390 times)

FSBD

I say go for it..but get some long runs in beforehand...a few 18 milers and a 20 mile run or two.   Come back and tell us how excited you are about racing 26.2 miles after you do those training runs.  

I agree with this.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

You asked for advice and people gave you advice. If you didn't want advice, you shouldn't have asked. Also, you are being very judgmental about the runners here. If you want to run a marathon, then run/walk or run a marathon. You have the internet to search for all kinds of advice that you like. You don't need these people here telling you what do do since it sounds like you've already made up your mind. When you finish the marathon, come back and tell us how it goes and we will rejoice. Good luck!

Yeah, your 2020 goal is something i despise as in a reply to my perfect goal for me. I doubt I need 5 years of training for that @spaniel. Like you said, you still did 50mpw and you ran one and it still sucked. Well I only run 8-10 miles a week and it would be rough as well. There's no change. I will work towards one even on undertrainment. I am not doing a marathon just to do one @AlexJohnson. There is a little bit more then what i let off that is going towards this marathon. Already it appears to me that no matter if you do 5 miles a week or 50. You can still train for a marathon and still get beat up tremendously in the process. I don't eat tacos FYI @kilkee. You are a better runner and more experienced runner of that than to me but that is one thing you don't have correct. Now I have ate some unhealthy stuff before and I do realize that. I don't need to do my marathon at the 3:00 mark at all or anywhere close. I got my openings to work with. I am not trying to put myself in a me against the world stage. More of me against 26.2 miles. No one makes me not train for a 10k and then the day of the race show up for same-day registration and go out and run it. Of course I may end up walking a total of a mile or so of it combined at walk breaks but there is no one that can say you can't do that. These races are open to anyone who wants to run/walk them and that can complete it. I maybe crazy for trying to run a marathon undertrained but the 15 year old that sits back and smokes weed everyday is doing everything ok? No i think he is breaking the law which I believe is much worse than undertraining for a marathon, but then again that's about as off topic as someone telling me I eat too many tacos or that people ride the TROLLER-COASTER for all the unsupportive and negative know-it-all's that say if you don't run 150 miles a week then don't even dream about running a marathon. That's right, when you sleep at night don't dream about it or I will jump in your dream and smack it right out of you. "Nuh-uh, you only run 149 miles a week. You got to 150 miles a week to dream this big wimp". Or is this just an over-exaggeration and means nothing. Maybe that. I understand I asked for advice and whatever on the page. But i found this page to be like any other page. A big group who all jump together when something doesn't just feel right. If your not like them and you haven't done this and you have not done that then don't. I will let everyone know. I dang well better not ask for advice for a 5k. I asked for advice for a marathon and you guys had a heart attack.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

kilkee

runktrun

Yes!  I couldn't think of the username.  Maybe conspiring with Manfromnantucket and sportsjester?

Reminds me of the style of TheMysteryOne.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

DoppleBock

Just like this post - are you going to read it as positive or negative?

Welcome ... What you are going is foolish, but we are all foolish and since you are run you will likely succeed.  I am assuming you are attempting a marathon for the glory and reality most people only see completing a marathon and not how well you did ... so go for it!

I think a lot of us are unsure where the glory in doing something much less than you best or not trying to get close to your genetic ability.  I am an old fat guy (280) with a wrecked body that has not run much in a long time.  I could finish a marathon right now, but where is the value in that?

I do wish you luck - But I also think this is right on

Welcome, fool. This place is filled with fools, so you will fit right in. There is even a marathon for fools who congregate here. It's one you can't train for. In fact, many fools around here run it annually with less training than you. Nobody ever tries to talk them out of it. Rather, the foolish parade of suck is celebrated. Youth is about making bad decisions and being resilient. Embrace your upcoming shufflefest of suck with your head held high. Bragging rights for a 6 hour marathon and a 3 hour marathon are equal to over 90% of the population.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Joann Y

Arete. That used to be a thing, right?

Tyler Bombacino

I really hope 8-10 miles per week is a joke. Otherwise it's just not smart to run a marathon.

runmichigan

I echo the sentiments of all of the previous posters - it is NOT a good idea to plan on running a marathon on 8 to 10 mpw base, less than 18 to 20 weeks to train, and at the age of 15.  However, since you appear determined not to listen to the sage advice from other runners, here are some things to consider:

(1) Many marathons have a minimum age of 18 to officially enter.

(2) Plan on taking walking breaks from the beginning of the marathon to extend the amount of distance you can cover comfortably.  The saying that the marathon begins in the last 10K is often very true.

(3) The biggest key in your training is going to be a regular long run (probably weekly).  The long run should be at a pace 1:30 to 2:00 minutes slower than your 10K pace.  The long run is going to help you get used to be on your feet running for 3 hours plus.  Most runners do a max of 20 miles for their long run.

(4) Get used to drinking on your run.  You might want to find out what your chosen marathon has for drinks and practice with those.

(5) A 2 or 3 week taper before the marathon is essential.

Feeling the growl again

Your writing is nearing unintelligible.  If you don't want to listen to the advice of people who have collectively run hundreds of marathons, you're just trolling for attention.

Yeah, your 2020 goal is something i despise as in a reply to my perfect goal for me. I doubt I need 5 years of training for that @spaniel. Like you said, you still did 50mpw and you ran one and it still sucked. Well I only run 8-10 miles a week and it would be rough as well. There's no change. I will work towards one even on undertrainment. I am not doing a marathon just to do one @AlexJohnson. There is a little bit more then what i let off that is going towards this marathon. Already it appears to me that no matter if you do 5 miles a week or 50. You can still train for a marathon and still get beat up tremendously in the process. I don't eat tacos FYI @kilkee. You are a better runner and more experienced runner of that than to me but that is one thing you don't have correct. Now I have ate some unhealthy stuff before and I do realize that. I don't need to do my marathon at the 3:00 mark at all or anywhere close. I got my openings to work with. I am not trying to put myself in a me against the world stage. More of me against 26.2 miles. No one makes me not train for a 10k and then the day of the race show up for same-day registration and go out and run it. Of course I may end up walking a total of a mile or so of it combined at walk breaks but there is no one that can say you can't do that. These races are open to anyone who wants to run/walk them and that can complete it. I maybe crazy for trying to run a marathon undertrained but the 15 year old that sits back and smokes weed everyday is doing everything ok? No i think he is breaking the law which I believe is much worse than undertraining for a marathon, but then again that's about as off topic as someone telling me I eat too many tacos or that people ride the TROLLER-COASTER for all the unsupportive and negative know-it-all's that say if you don't run 150 miles a week then don't even dream about running a marathon. That's right, when you sleep at night don't dream about it or I will jump in your dream and smack it right out of you. "Nuh-uh, you only run 149 miles a week. You got to 150 miles a week to dream this big wimp". Or is this just an over-exaggeration and means nothing. Maybe that. I understand I asked for advice and whatever on the page. But i found this page to be like any other page. A big group who all jump together when something doesn't just feel right. If your not like them and you haven't done this and you have not done that then don't. I will let everyone know. I dang well better not ask for advice for a 5k. I asked for advice for a marathon and you guys had a heart attack.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kilkee

runktrun

STOP.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

DoppleBock

Removed - I was just trying to figure out where you were - It is not about being "best runner"  It is about being the best runner you can be.  We are all an experiment of 1 and we try and figure how to maximize our genetic potential.  If mine is 4:01 marathon and I run a 4:03 that is better than someone that has a potential of 2:10 and runs a 2:20 marathon.

Good luck

STOP.

But we are bored.

Hi Spaniel,

Damn you are getting old ... almost 40 ... You only have 3 years to get into top old fart shape (Masters)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

SevenDeadlyShins

THUGLIFE

Dopplebock. I did post something else that I was more interested in doing. That is surely the last time I ask anyone for public advice for an extreme long distance run for a while. But the one thing that does bother me is, the runningAHEAD training logs can be public. But there is no reason for you to go on athletic.net and the. Post for the whole world to see. Or mainly a collective group of runners. Just a tad bit of embarrasing. No I may not be the best runner ever but I certainly ain't the gosh dang worse for fact. But you may not care either so that makes this whole thing sorta pointless. RunningAHEAD suggests users to give feedback of what they want. I want a way for people to delete their own post. Because that really needs to happen other than asking a admin or something to please remove this post. If everyone could stop looking at this topic post and go back to their lives. That just be great. Move on.

Bests...

1 mile: 5:44

2 mile: 12:48 

5k: 20:05

10k: 57:55 

I heard you're a player. Nice to meet you, I'm the coach. 

Feeling the growl again

Hi Spaniel,

Damn you are getting old ... almost 40 ... You only have 3 years to get into top old fart shape (Masters)

Heh.  Yeah.  As soon as I lose 15 lbs I'll get right on that.  Big grin

I have not been sub-2:30 in my 30s so it would be neat to do it at 40.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I'd work on getting a 1/2 marathon or 2 in first. If you are intent on doing a longer distance then I'd train for a trail race (say in the 30K range). I'm not saying you can't run a marathon but you are seriously risking injury. Pavement for 26miles is no joke and does bad things to a body.

Yes!  I couldn't think of the username.  Maybe conspiring with Manfromnantucket and sportsjester?

Whoa baby relax, there isn't any conspiracy going on here.

Netizen Kane

I echo the sentiments of all of the previous posters - it is NOT a good idea to plan on running a marathon on 8 to 10 mpw base, less than 18 to 20 weeks to train, and at the age of 15.  However, since you appear determined not to listen to the sage advice from other runners, here are some things to consider:

(5) A 2 or 3 week taper before the marathon is essential.

I'm not sure how the OP will taper 8-10miles over 3 weeks - but I'm sure looking forward to the answers.