Question for the shoe gurus (Read 529 times)

I'm a bit confused. Confused I've run in ASICS Landreths with Superfeet green arch supports with success. My local running store suggested the Gel-Fortitude and I tried them at the store and they felt good and seemed to offer a little more room in the toe box. They just felt like there was a bit more to them. Salesperson said the Fortitude was a neutral shoe. But the ASICS site calls them a support shoe, in fact a max support shoe. I just did a 10 mile long run Saturday in them and my shins are pretty sore. (I did break the in on shorter runs for about 25-30 miles). I've only gotten shin spints before when I ran in stability shoes. I raced a 7.5 miler in June in the Landreths with the Superfeet greens and had zero shin pain after. I was going to blame the shin splints on adding miles too quickly but could it be that the Fortitudes are the culprit? background: I overpronate a little, arches are low but not flat. But my knees and legs are neutral in general. My arch just collapes and my foot spreads a lot when I land. Other shoes I tried that were neutral would result in my arch kinda hanging over the inside of the shoe (mid-foot was too narrow). Any help is appreciated. I may have to return the Fortitudes for another pair of Landreths but I hate doing that.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Asics puts that shoe in their "maximum support" category...definitely not neutral. I'd put money on too much control being the cause of your shin issues.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks ZZ for the reply. I wish Jake G were around to answer this. his previous posts on shoes are awesome. The other thing I learned about the difference between the Landreth and the Foundation is the addition of the ASICS Maximum Support Space Trusstic System®. No idea what that means and their site doesn't explain it very well. But it does say it's a neutral shoe but also maximum support. So I have no idea what's different from a stability shoe. Very confusing. Confused