Running in the Dark (Read 713 times)

Got out a little late tonight for an out-and-back on some paved trails in a park near home. The night snuck up on me. I was running for the last 3-5 miles in almost pitch dark. I shut off the music (which I almost never run without), mostly due to the overwhelming desire to be "aware of my surroundings". That was, by far, one my coolest runs. Anyone have a similar experience?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

That was, by far, one my coolest runs. Anyone have a similar experience?
      All the time. Whether you mean cool as in temperature, awesomeness or both - I agree. I love running at night. On a run a week or two ago, I saw two baby skunks, a fox, and an opossum. I advise you to leave the tunes at home next time - "awareness of surroundings" is especially key at night - people in cars that don't look for runners in the daytime look for runners even less at night.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I only restarted to run this week, but I'm allready looking forward to my nightly runs in autumn and winter: being the only human being on the road, the misty fields, the full moon, the distant barking of a dog... Yes, those always were the runs I most enjoyed... they gave me the feeling I could go on for hours... (Remembering these runs now are so motivating to keep going, it makes me so glad I put on my running shoes again last monday.) (edited for at least some of my spelling mistakes)

Running in Belgium
        Ann

My Hero

It is now 4:03 AM here and about ready to take off for my run. It is still dark and it is when I do most of my (try to) running. I love this time of the day. Minimal cars = less stinky fumes. You can run right down the middle of road and not worry about. It's quiet & peaceful. Besides that, living in Phoenix during the summer it is practically a necessity.
            I was doing an easy 3 miler after work yesterday and right around the 2 mile mark on an out and back, sirens on a busy road that goes over the trail were wailing. Soon after that the coyotes started howling. Very cool! On this same trail I've also seen bats at night flying in front of me. Running at night is neat.
            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I always feel subjectively faster in the dark.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                When you do one of those relays like Hood to Coast, you invariably end up running in the dark. It is really magical! But like Ed, I THINK I'm going faster than I really am, in the dark.
                  I know how you feel. I run in the dark every morning. It's the best time of day, I think.
                  Do bears bear? Do bees be?

Best Present Ever

I never run at night in the dark, but often do in the morning. Even in the summer, I'll often start before the sun comes up to avoid the heat. In the winter, I get a bit tired of those weeks when it's *never* light during my run. Usually, though, I enjoy the first few miles in total quiet and dark, then hearing the birds start chirping and seeing the sky get light. Since I usually run an out and back due west, then east, the sun usually rises behind me, and i see the pink sky and the sun still low when I turn around to come back. My favorite 'dark' runs are those under a full moon, when I can turn off my headlamp a nd just run by moonlight. Running alone in the early morning quiet is the best part of running for me.