GU vs. Gatorade vs. Powerade vs. Accelerade vs. ... (Read 8032 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

They suggested carrying both water and sports drinks separately rather than diluting.
    I have really come to like this. During my 25k I had diluted Gatorade in my Camelbak, but by mile 11 I was dying for plain water (to wash the GU taste out of my mouth, mostly). I've been using an Amphipod belt for a few weeks...I put Gatorade in the 20oz bottle along my lumbar and plain water in the 2 smaller bottles in front. It works really well.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Is it just me...or do you all agree...how hard it is to do a long run and go by a burger joint or cafe serving bacon and eggs! Damn that's the toughest part of any long run for me. It makes my gels and water taste like vomit.
      It may not be just you, but it's definitely not me. I run by a couple fast food places on my most often used route and cannot stand the smells coming out of them anymore. A cafe might be a different story, but fortunately or unfortunately, I don't get to run past any.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

sistinas told me about NUUN a little while ago, i tried it, i liked it. otherwise, plain water or 50/50 diluted gatorade works fine for me.
          Is it just me...or do you all agree...how hard it is to do a long run and go by a burger joint or cafe serving bacon and eggs! Damn that's the toughest part of any long run for me. It makes my gels and water taste like vomit.
          for me it's falafel places. i love falafel etc, but not while running. the smell of hot shawarma will nearly make me puke on a hot day run.
          jcasetnl

Basic gatorade or any one of the sports drinks are good for post-exercise drink, particularly if you're in hotter areas. But, as someone already mentioned, it's basically corn syrup, electrolytes (sodium and potasium) and water. I sometimes drink half a can's worth of flat coke after a workout. My opinion is the gels and other 'sustained' energy products don't really come into play until you get into the 10 miles+ distances. You shouldn't need anything extra to do a 10k, for example, and slowing or stopping to eat that stuff will hurt your time. The gels are nearly all made out of maltodextrin so they all basically work the same. Some taste really awful. There are some how-tos out there for making your own gel at home, which is about 3 to 5 times cheaper, though you may not be able to replicate the taste/texture of the commercial products. You can also buy potasium pills at the drugstore and take them instead of an electrolyte drink, which is much cheaper. I sometimes do this when I use my coke method. If you are going to use gatorade, I recommend buying the powder and mixing your own. It's much, much cheaper.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you are going to use gatorade, I recommend buying the powder and mixing your own. It's much, much cheaper.
              I think it tastes better, too. Maybe it's just because we have really yummy well water...? k

~ Sarah Kay

va

..There are some how-tos out there for making your own gel at home, which is about 3 to 5 times cheaper, though you may not be able to replicate the taste/texture of the commercial products...
                Has anybody here tried to make their own? I'd be interested to hear how it went.
                  Has anybody here tried to make their own? I'd be interested to hear how it went.
                  Hmm... seeing as how I can ruin a frozen pizza, I think my homemade GU would be pretty freaking awful ! Big grin
                  2009: BQ?
                  RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Endurox R4 recovery drink and Endurolytes electrolyte capsules. Has anyone heard of these or tried them. A guy I run with swears by the Endurox recovery drink. I was hoping to get more information before trying them out. I currently only drink Gatorade. However, after my 14 mile run this week I think I need something to help boost the energy I am spending on my Sunday long runs. The only thing I like is the cliff shot (gel shot things.) The gu packs are too messy.
                      2011 Goals:
                      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                      Homemade recovery drinks ... I would be quite interested in trying that out. Anyone out there that even know what goes into them and how to go about it?????? Thanks.

The steady plodding of the diligent leads surely to advantage(victory), But everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Endurox R4 recovery drink and Endurolytes electrolyte capsules. Has anyone heard of these or tried them.
                        I have a thing of the orange Endurox. It's not bad. I have to dilute it to half strength, though--WAY too sweet. I actually prefer good old chocolate milk. Since I can't keep the pre-made stuff in the house (without DH and DS drinking it all in 24 hours) I have a jar of Ovaltine. Mix it with milk and it has extra nutrients added. k

~ Sarah Kay

jcasetnl

Homemade recovery drinks ... I would be quite interested in trying that out. Anyone out there that even know what goes into them and how to go about it?????? Thanks.
                          Typically the ingredient that really seperates the sports drink from plain soda or other sugary beverages is the electrolyte content. You could experiment with the unsweetened kool aid packets and mix in sugar (or corn syrup) and then some sodium and potassium. I might try that. Might be a fun project. Not sure if it would save you much over powdered gatorade, and I agree with a previous poster that the powdered stuff can be made to taste better since you can dial in the flavor to your personal preference. For taste, sodium will sour the drink really fast but potassium isn't nearly so potent.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

For homemade recovery drinks, I usually just make a smoothie. Whatever fruit I have mixed with yogurt and blend. Post-run, electrolytes are not as important as proteins and carbs. And fluids. If you are making your own, use sugar or honey. Lord knows we all already get too much corn syrup in just about every other sweetened drink out there, and it just ain't natural. For homemade gu, just go out and buy some icing or honey. Put it in a packet. All that said, a big tub of powdered sports drink costs less than the shoelaces that come with my shoes. THis is not where I am spending money on running.