Short jog the day after racing (Read 183 times)

Hi all

Just wanted some advice regarding how to approach the subject of how best to treat my aching quads following a PB in a local half marathon race yesterday with a 1:32 (beat PB by 2 mins)

I did a 1 mile cooldown and stretch yesterday post race before focusing on refuelling with a focus on some good protein, complex carbs and lots of veggies in the hours afterwards.

Am undecided as to whether a short jog this evening will help ease the leg pain. Calves feeling all ok yet quads feel "painful".

thoughts appreciated.

Mmmmm...beer

I always do well with a very easy run the day after a race.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

A Saucy Wench

Very short, very slow.

I found it to help a lot

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

It will really suck, but it's a good idea. Very short, very easy.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Slo

Best medicine there is.

Get some blood flowing to those muscles.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I  did it yesterday after a ten mile race Saturday.  Thinking about it was a lot worse than doing it.  Actually, it felt good.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I just did a simple 1-miler earlier after doing races on both Saturday and Sunday.  The key is doing is SLOW, like slower than slow.  I know my legs always feel better afterward.

for me slow easy  day following a race or a hard effort day is one of the most important of the whole week.  if I take a day off it would be the 2nd day after.

had 5k yesterday so today I did about 5 1/2 miles very slow with a few walk breaks thrown in.  sunny & clear skies-it was perfect

hog4life

Another vote for slow, short and very easy. I usually do mine on the 2nd day after a race.

degregorius

My left hamstrings tend to act up in long runs.  (I run with a compression sleeve.)  So I initially balked the idea of doing an easy run the next day.  Didn't want to aggravate the hammies.

However, today, I did a slow mile on a treadmill,and both legs feel fine.  A little less stiff, but fine.

CeeDotA

This is me, most of the time. Doesn't always suck, but the run is always short and easy. Sometimes it hurts less than others.

It will really suck, but it's a good idea. Very short, very easy.

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

fellrnr

I've always believed that exercise for post race soreness helps, but the evidence is that it's just temporary pain relief. On the other hand, there's good evidence that it won't make things worse.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Delayed_Onset_Muscle_Soreness

Docket_Rocket

Unless I am traveling from a destination race, a run post marathon or hard race, if kept short and slow, works wonders for the soreness.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I've always believed that exercise for post race soreness helps, but the evidence is that it's just temporary pain relief. On the other hand, there's good evidence that it won't make things worse.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Delayed_Onset_Muscle_Soreness

all I know is that a slow/easy run the day after helps me greatly.  After all these years I  don't need any evidence or research for proof.  but thats just me & everyone is different.

thanks guys for your replies.

I ended up going for a 2 mile plod and legs felt although my gait was not normal.

Quads still sore today so have decided to not jog today. Going up the stairs I am fine but down stairs and anytime I try a jog its a little painful.