Thanks for the BQ! (Read 200 times)

Mysecondnewname

To: SRL, Ilanarama, Mr. MattM, Esined, and many more:

Due in no small part to your efforts, I managed to finally get my first BQ last Sunday!

I wanted to express my appreciation for all of the great advice and encouragement you've freely given to me and others as we strive to meet our running goals.

Thanks to all of you!  Smile

B-Plus

I had absolutely nothing to do with that, but congrats. Any details to share?

Just B.S.

That is awesome! Congrats!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

That's great news.  What a wonderful accomplishment.  Congratulations.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Mysecondnewname

I had absolutely nothing to do with that, but congrats. Any details to share?

Thanks!  Don't want to bore anyone, but here's a few impressions:

• It was at the Lincoln Marathon.
            • Injury-filled training cycle leading up to this one--not feeling real confident.
            • 40 degrees, a little damp, and windy.  100 porta potties, plus lots of facilities in buildings which was nice.
            • A person kicked me in the starting corral while they were doing butt kicks, yet said nothing.  (I secretly resolved that I would beat him).
            • I was proudest of the first mile as I deliberately kept it nice and slow and didn't panic into doing something silly (as I have in the past).
            • Lots of crowd support during the first half as it winds through residential sections.  Must've slapped the hands of 50 kids (which I think just makes you faster Big grin)
            • Passed up butt-kicking guy.
            • Love the way Lincoln has cups with lids and straws at the aid stations--so great!
            • The second half of the course is a gradual uphill/downhill out and back.  It was fun to see the winners coming back and cheer for them as they race towards you.   It's just wonderful to see people like that float along the road.
            • Things felt surprisingly easy until 18 when the only "big" hill on the course showed up.  (You get to do it twice); however, I felt pretty strong still through 20.
            • Once I made the turn out of the park, I ran right into a headwind.  Ugh.   However, this was a net downhill, so I think they canceled each other out a bit (although the wind still won).
            • At 20, I kept thinking--I just have to get to 23 'cuz I can do anything for 3 miles.
            • At 23, I kept thinking--can I really do this for 3 more miles?
            • The first time in the race I started hurting was at 24.  The course turned uphill and the wind got worse.  
            • While I was desperately looking for the flag for mile 25, I was suckered by the flag for mile 14 (which was for the other direction). Doh!    Pushing hard at this point.
            • The finish was at Husker Stadium.  As I ran onto the field, I heard my name over the stadium speakers and saw me on Jumbotron!  Cool.
            • Finally, BQ! (with about a 3.5 minute PR).

Congrats Shuffler!  I'm glad you beat the butt kicker guy AND most glad you qualified for old Boston. Enjoy Smile

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Mr MattM

Nice!  I remember Lincoln (assuming they haven't changed the course)... that's a helluva good run!  Congratulations on the PR/BQ!

be curious; not judgmental

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

S-Faster, congratulations!  I was there.  I don't recall kicking anybody, so hopefully I'm not the guilty party.  It was a great day for me as well; I got my BQ, too! Smile  My RR is here, if you're interested.

Yeah, and I got my coaching from the good folks here on RA, so I second the thanks!

I am a MaltoMeal guy, myself.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats

ShuffleFaster

LedLincoln

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

As I said over on RWOL, we may have helped but you're the one who did it. I totally agree that slapping kids' hands makes you faster! And though I'm not fond of out-and-backs, I do like seeing the people ahead of me...and hunting them down...  Especial congratulations on kicking the butt of butt-kicking guy!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

As I said over on RWOL, we may have helped but you're the one who did it. I totally agree that slapping kids' hands makes you faster! And though I'm not fond of out-and-backs, I do like seeing the people ahead of me...and hunting them down...  Especial congratulations on kicking the butt of butt-kicking guy!

I high-fived lots of kids and two old ladies!  It obviously helped! Smile

Mysecondnewname

Thanks for the kind words, everybody!

And congrats to you as well,  LedLincoln -- nice RR too.

doctorjen

Congrats!  A couple of my running friends were there as pacers (one of the 2:30 half pacers and 1 of the 4 hour full pacers). I may be bugging you for BQ advice when I try again this fall!