Packing a Lunch (Read 1247 times)

Best Present Ever

Huh. (My personal experience does not jibe with this article, and I am tempted to wonder about the vast history [and present] of humanity-without-refrigeration, but maybe I should just say thanks and reconsider my first remark.)

I lived in Algeria for a while.  While many people had refrigerators, they were still kind of new-fangled things, and weren't used the way I would use one.  So if we bought a chicken at the market in the morning, after it became a dead, headless, de-feathered thing, we'd stick it in the turned-off oven until we were ready to cook it.  Even though the fridge was right there.  I got used to it after a while and it doesn't seem to have made me sick.  I did hold a baby that died of diarhhea in my arms, though, so I can't say that hygiene and Western medicine are things I'm willing to completely overlook. 

Feeling the growl again

In September I killed an elk around 7-8pm or whatever time it got dark then.  It was 85 degrees out.  We did not have the gear with us to butcher it right then so it sat overnight, slowly cooling down from body temp (it got down to the mid-50s at night).

I started processing it at 9am when it was already in the 70s and finished bagging it up around noon when it was into the 80s already.  From there we had to make multiple trips the couple miles back to the truck and also a trip out of the boonies for ice.  It was all finally on ice by 4-5pm.  It took until the following morning before I could say it was really chilled to refrigerator temp (200lbs of meat takes awhile to cool off even on ice).

The meat was fine and we've gone through a decent amount with nobody getting sick. 

Now, the 15lbs of it I screwed up and left sitting on the floor in front of my garage freezer for 3 days, is another (sad) story...

Food does not go bad nearly as fast as people seem to think it does.  Given the messages that we must apparently sterilize every surface we come into contact with or our kids will contract hideous diseases, I'm not too surprised though.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

"run" "2" "eat"

your mentioning the meat left in front of the freezer being a mess reminds me of when we had several pounds of beef in the deepfreeze -- we'd split a cow with friends, if you know what i mean there. the deepfreeze got pushed up against the wall, putting the electrical plug in a bind and cutting off power. we didn't realise this had happened until after all the meat had thawed, creating a lake of blood in the deepfreeze. we got it all cleaned out and then spread coffee around to absorb the smell, and although the deepfreeze survived, the mess was phenominal.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Lazy idiot

Pizza does not require refrigeration.  EVER.  Didn't you learn ANYTHING in college???

1. That's what I meant.

2. I went to Ohio State.  I didn't even learn how to get a tattoo properly.

Tick tock

Scout7

Mac and cheese.  Every day.  Problem solved.

"run" "2" "eat"

okay, so speaking of packing a lunch... i am fairly certain my coworker has a hibachi grill and complete set of ginsu knives going on in her office. it's like iron chef office edition in there.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

doesn't say what was in those unsafe lunches. probably preschoolers!

How long til a preschooler goes bad?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

"run" "2" "eat"

you seem to have misquoted me.

several pounds of beef -- we'd split a cow with friends

That must have been a really small cow. Also, the cow's friends must have been chickens or something.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

"run" "2" "eat"

hey, bonks! how the hell are ya? and, what the hell are you talking about? perhaps you are indicating that the poundage is not high enough to warrant the half-a-cow statement, to which i reply: we'd done aten a bunch of it.

xor

Man, this page of the thread really took a turn.

Julia1971

Man, this page of the thread really took a turn.

True.  But, I have this weird feeling that this information is going to come in handy for me someday.  For example, cleaning a deep fridge with coffee.  That's gold.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

When potato salad goes bad

Slice

I am a sales rep so my lunch has to keep in my car. Typically on Sunday night I fix 3-4 sandwiches and wrap each in a paper towel in a bag so the bread doesn't get soggy. Each morning I throw a sandwich, a string cheese, a piece of fruit, and a pre-portioned bag of chips. If I have leftovers with enough liquid to keep a thermos warm, I get the rare treat of variety. Here are 2 of my favorite soup recipes that aren't nearly as processed as something from a can:

http://www.thesitsgirls.com/2011/11/slow-cooker-chicken-soup/

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cream_of_turkey_wild_rice_soup.html

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Feeling the growl again

I am a sales rep

When I was a sales rep I just ordered enough to feed me too Wink

Honestly I can't remember what I did on the days I did not have lunch with a customer.  Must be the repression of bad memories...

Sandwich...fruit...mtn dew...sounds like the meal of champions to me...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills