Working towards Pfitz 18/55 (Read 484 times)

MonkeyBunny

My goal is to complete a Pfitz 18/55 training cycle and BQ.  However I just can't jump into that intensity. I've lost 14 lbs and need to lose 30 more. I'm looking for a less intense plan that peaks around 40 mpw. Any recommendations?

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Rock n Roll St. Pete Half 2-10-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

The Goal:  Boston Marathon 4-20-15

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Pfitz has a marathon plan that peaks at 40 mpw in his Road Racing for Serious Runners book. I have no experience with it nor marathons in general, but just wanted to let you know that it exists.

RunsWithDog

I did Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1 for  my last (second) marathon cycle, and I think it was pretty solid and peaked at 43 mpw, so it might fit the bill for you. No speed work except for pace runs about 2 out of 3 weeks, but reasonable mileage overall. I felt well prepared for a solid (not stellar) marathon.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51139/Marathon-Intermediate-1-Training-Program

PRs: 10k 57:30, HM 2:11:12, Full 5:02:57

Next Up: HM 1/6/13 & Marathon #3 3/24/13

Training Plan Right Now: Hansons Brothers Beginner Marathon Plan

Consistently Slow

A FB friend husband BQ'ed  with the plan.

http://www.marathon-training-program.com/three-day-background.html

I did the mileage on the Pfitz 18/55 put not the intensity. Could not keep a steady pace on tempo runs. Instead I did mile repeats.

2 mile WU

1 x  7:30(8:20 MP) on the track /  mainly flat parking lot

3:00 Rest

1 x  7:30(8:20 MP)

1 x  7:30(8:20 MP)

1mile CD

2 weeks before the goal marathon the 1 mile repeats were at 6:55. Used McMillan calculator to the "current pace " for repeats.You may want to sign up with Nobby and get his training plan. I probably would have used his plan. By the time I started asking for advice I was in week 12. Nobby did keep me from going on the over-training cliff. Goal marathon-3:40. Finish 3:37:38. <1700 mile year.

Run until the trail runs out.

2014***1500 miles 09/28/14

50miler 13:26:18

Race Less Train More

Ana Trason  "Living Her Life"

"The Marble in The Groove"

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

MonkeyBunny

Thanks everyone.  Here's a bit more detail:

All I want for Christmas is a new marathon training plan.  Here are the ideal components:

16 week plan

Peak mileage 40 - 45 mpw

4-5 days of running (ideally 4 days running, 2 days CT and 1 day rest)

Some speedwork but nothing crazy - maybe some mile repeats and MP miles & tempo

Flexibility to run some 10ks and halfs as part of plan

Flexibility to accomodate my work travel schedule (more cross training or treadmill on some days)

I'm considering working with a coach but I don't know if that would be someone local or virtual

I'm not reading a freaking book - just give me the plan, ideally in Excel or calendar format

I've been able to lose 15 lbs using Weight Watchers and training for Houston at the same time.  I plan on continuing to lose weight which is why I'm not signing up for 45+ mpw - yet

After Houston my next marathon is Ogden.  My goal for Ogden is 4:20 - 4:30.  After that, I may switch to Pfitz 18/55 to work towards a 3:55 BQ.

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Rock n Roll St. Pete Half 2-10-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

The Goal:  Boston Marathon 4-20-15

Are you looking to BQ this cycle? If so, you're most likely going to need the speedwork (tempos/vO2/MPruns) If you're not looking to BQ this cycle, you can still follow his 18/55 plan and tweak it to fit your needs. Lay off the quality runs and adjust the mileage to what you want.