Talking about running (Read 1089 times)

Doc, my tooth hurts

I don't really talk about running because I know that outside of "did you win?" no one really cares about it. I do feel it's that way with any hobby though. If someone is into cars and strikes up a conversation with a non car guy, more than likely there will be some seriously glazed over eyes from non car guy.

Sorry, but had to repost this link:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/im-truly-sorry-for-this-but-youre-about-to-hear-al,28995/

This is too funny, because even when people ASK me about running, as in I'm not the one bringing up the subject, this is how I feel that I come off. It's kind of hard to get me to stop talking about it, but I usually don't willingly bring it up. 

I do post about my races on social media. 

I am also friends with some runners in real life Wink so I get out a lot of my run talk with them, and also here. 

delicate flower

I don't talk to other people about running unless they bring it up.  Exception being running friends.  And DW...my God do I drive DW nuts with it.  Big grin

<3

xor

Yeah, I never ever talk about running unless someone else brings it up.  Even as the opening-the-door "what did you do this weekend?" question.  I just evade.  "Normal stuff".

The runner who goes on and on about her/his running is like the golfer, the poker player, the fantasy football guy, etc etc etc.  All those people who go on and on about their thing without realizing that those around them aren't THAT into it.

When a nonrunner asks me a running question, I try to gauge their sincere interest level.  Most are asking out of simple curiosity or courtesy... or sometimes simply so I will then ask them about THEIR thing.  These folks want the simple answer, not the details.  For the nonrunner who does seem interested in details... perhaps he/she wants to get into running or relate better to a spouse who is or... ahhhh... sometimes it isn't about running, they just want to know about the place I was just at... those conversations go differently.

If it sounds too tricky, sometimes it is.  Which is why I avoid it.  Ha.

adkkev

Yeah, I never ever talk about running unless someone else brings it up.  Even as the opening-the-door "what did you do this weekend?" question.  I just evade.  "Normal stuff".

The runner who goes on and on about her/his running is like the golfer, the poker player, the fantasy football guy, etc etc etc.  All those people who go on and on about their thing without realizing that those around them aren't THAT into it.

When a nonrunner asks me a running question, I try to gauge their sincere interest level.  Most are asking out of simple curiosity or courtesy... or sometimes simply so I will then ask them about THEIR thing.  These folks want the simple answer, not the details.  For the nonrunner who does seem interested in details... perhaps he/she wants to get into running or relate better to a spouse who is or... ahhhh... sometimes it isn't about running, they just want to know about the place I was just at... those conversations go differently.

If it sounds too tricky, sometimes it is.  Which is why I avoid it.  Ha.

+10000000

Just B.S.

Very rarely if ever.  If someone asks a question out of politeness I will anwers exactly the question

they asked and leave it at that.

If I have taken a day off work to travel to a marathon and a coworker asked I would say "yup went

away for a race, had a great time" and leave it at that unless they pursued it.

I think my own Mother probably only  knows that I have done a full or two. She has no idea that I

have run all the  races in my siggy. She loves me but understands nothing about running and god

knows I don't want to bore my own Mother!LOL

Buelligan

None of my friends are runners so it's very rare that I get a good conversation in about running.  If I'm not asked, I don't mention it.  The only question I'm typically asked is "Are you still running?"  The only answer I give is, "Yeah."

SheCan

I don't bring it up myself usually unless someone asks what I'm doing and I might answer  "just got back from a run" or "doing a race that day."  I do say things to my DH about my running, but even with him I try not to go on and on about it.  If someone asks, I just try to answer concisely unless I feel they're genuinely interested.  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Ball of Fury

I don't really talk about running because I know that outside of "did you win?" no one really cares about it. I do feel it's that way with any hobby though. If someone is into cars and strikes up a conversation with a non car guy, more than likely there will be some seriously glazed over eyes from non car guy.

I really love it when people ask about it, though, and then say, "Well, if you didn't win/can't win, what's the point?"  I am always at a loss for words.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

I don't mention it to co-workers, friends, neighbors, or relatives. Only talk running to folks who run. If someone broaches the subject, then I'll respond with appropriate level of detail depending on the question. When folks at work comment about how I seem to be losing weight, I'll just respond that trying to run a few days a week to keep fit.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

YAYpril - B-Plus

One of my favorite jokes...

How can you tell if someone has run a marathon?

Don't worry - they'll tell YOU!

All joking aside, I talk running with my running friends. Some of my non-running coworkers seem genuinely interested in my running/racing because they knew me years ago before I was a runner. It's just neat to them, I guess. Once I wasn't a runner, and now I am.

Of course, my Facebook feed is probably the most uninteresting thing to my non-running friends, but hey. I don't care about hearing about their kids all the time, but I don't complain about it.

Wandering Wally

I will NOT bring it up when I am with other people.  If I find out someone is a runner, I will talk about it with them.  If a non-runner brings it up, I will respond politely.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

NHLA

Some people who ask about running are really interested. I have helped several people get started running.

The mail, UPS, and fed-x drivers track me and ask about my running.

My MIL has demintia she can't remember anybody's name but she always ask if I ran today.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Some people who ask about running are really interested. I have helped several people get started running.

The mail, UPS, and fed-x drivers track me and ask about my running.

My MIL has demintia she can't remember anybody's name but she always ask if I ran today.

I have wondered if regular route drivers comment about me as they pass.  "There goes Lanky Running Fool.  He looks especially awkward today."

Coastal

I try not to worry about anymore it as most inquiries are people just trying to be polite and make conversation.  They really don't care all that much more than I care about their weekend or their hobby.  The few runners I know will talk about it.  It is funny because two runners will start doing things like pulling off shoes and showing black toes, the new insert, site of injury, the cool sock or....  LOL

The ones who bug me are those we decide I'm obsessed (Well, DUH! I'm trying to be obsessed) and need to stop running (and get back to 300 lbs?).