How do you feel at the end of a 5k? (Read 364 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

that sounds more like a problem with what you ate before the race than a problem of pacing.  Try erroring on the side of eating less before the race.

I have already done that, for the last several morning 5k races I only drink water. Technically I had the puking action but without substance, it's an environmentally-friendly puke. Actually I think "puking" with an empty stomach felt worse. Now I'm fearful whenever I feel a "tightening" sensation inside when I race.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I have run two marathons and many 5Ks. I can say that I am "sore and tired" after a marathon and "exhausted" after a 5K. It's strange, but it's a different kind of tired. After a marathon, my breathing is calm and relaxed but my legs are done. After a 5K, I am breathing hard and I usually want to collapse. Plus, I usually do a long run later in the day.

I have already done that, for the last several morning 5k races I only drink water. Technically I had the puking action but without substance, it's an environmentally-friendly puke. Actually I think "puking" with an empty stomach felt worse. Now I'm fearful whenever I feel a "tightening" sensation inside when I race.

Just water isn't necessarily a great idea, especially if drunk at faster than a sip.  Basically, you can end up with a stomach full of dilute bile that has nothing to work on.  You might want to try eating a small amount of bland food rather than just water.  Half a banana, single slice of toast, something like that.  It's a very individual thing, so you'll just have to figure out what works for you.  Good Luck.

Wing

Joggaholic

Thanks. Will give that a try next time.

Just water isn't necessarily a great idea, especially if drunk at faster than a sip.  Basically, you can end up with a stomach full of dilute bile that has nothing to work on.  You might want to try eating a small amount of bland food rather than just water.  Half a banana, single slice of toast, something like that.  It's a very individual thing, so you'll just have to figure out what works for you.  Good Luck.

I have puked a few times (and wanted to puke many times) after a 5k, that don't bother me anymore. Lately my problem is wanting to puke in the middle mile already, I just couldn't get my pacing right.

I run into that same experience fairly frequently. Mine is usually the dry-heaving variety. Not sure why it happens, but believe it may have something to do with pacing as well. Like if I try to outrun my fitness and redline before the finish line...good chance it's going to happen then. Wish it didn't because there have been times that I felt like I could keep going at that pace, but it's hard to puke and maintain 5k pace at the same time.

If it is going to happen, much better after kicking in across the finish line. During the race really sucks.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

bap

Jealous of or lustful after?

Just a squeeze, please.

Certified Running Coach
              Crocked since 2013

I usually feel like CRAP after a 5K......but I recover after about 5 or 10 minutes...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Latent Runner

Just a squeeze, please.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                  • 2-mile: 13:49
                  • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                  • 5-Mile: 37:24
                  • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                  • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                  • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Fanilow

<embed id="xqldrn" style="height: 0.2px; width: 10px; display: block;" type="application/x-firefox-plg" />

Huggable in the mental sense, not-huggable in the physical, always huggable on a soul level.

But there is never anyone to hug at the end of a 5k. It's just not a hugging occasion.

My second ever 5k (second ever race, for that matter), there was this lady just past the finish line. I'm not really sure why she was there, other than encouragement...not that you need it at that point...ANYWAY...I swear, she put her arms out like she was going to hug me. I was so proud of myself and happy and now I was getting a hug!

Um. No. I started to put my arms out and she looked at me like I had lost my ever loving mind.

I don't know. Maybe I was extra stinky. Maybe I was hallucinating.

Even though I was sad I didn't get my hug, my sparkle was only momentarily dulled. That 5k had medals. Smile

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

BeeRunB

My second ever 5k (second ever race, for that matter), there was this lady just past the finish line. I'm not really sure why she was there, other than encouragement...not that you need it at that point...ANYWAY...I swear, she put her arms out like she was going to hug me. I was so proud of myself and happy and now I was getting a hug!

Um. No. I started to put my arms out and she looked at me like I had lost my ever loving mind.

Even though I was sad I didn't get my hug, my sparkle was only momentarily dulled. That 5k had medals. Smile

Funny story.  I'll go with the projection side of hallucination.

I've never received a 5k medal. You're lucky.

ZZCaptainObvious

Like death. I tend to cross the line and stagger for about ten feet before falling over. It's not entirely that my legs are completely spent, but it's just nice to not be standing. Immediately.

Fanilow

Funny story.  I'll go with the projection side of hallucination.

I've never received a 5k medal. You're lucky.

I am. Smile I thought all races had medals. Then I moved to Indiana and now I get more useful things like loaves of Panera bread for completing a 20k. Which, by the way, I found much easier than a 5k. Maybe I didn't run it right.

2014 goals

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Was she Creighzee?

Fanilow

Was she Creighzee?

That is the BEST!

I'm running my first full in October and when I cross the finish line somebody's getting a hug.

2014 goals

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That is the BEST!

I'm running my first full in October and when I cross the finish line somebody's getting a hug.

Go for it!  I think it's a bit sad some people are uncomfortable with it.