P90x (Read 6266 times)

I try to get in 1 protein shake a day.  I use the P90X protein bars when I am on the go and need to grab something fast and the ingredients in Shakeology would be pretty tough to piece together without spending $10 a day on supplements.  I do get a lot from food but I really do need at least a protein shake.

EGH3

Running is a very repetitious motion that leaves many muscles out.  I believe no matter how many miles you are running 20-30 minutes 4-6x a week for some weights / core is great.  Support muscles in the knees, hips & groin can become serious injury isssues to runners.

Be careful in your weightlifting (Strength exercises), you always want to keep your muscles in balance.  Stomache too strong vs back, gonna have back issues.  Quads or hamstrings stronger than the other - likely IT band issues.  A lot of muscles are interconnected and when the harmony is destroyed you will discover pain in a weaker area.

Agreed. That's why I don't train "body parts". I leave that to the bodybuilders who train for aesthetics. I use full body exercises and train the body as a system. After all, that's how it works. A properly performed squat will hit the quads, hamstrings, adducters, calves, shoulders, and your "core". And what could be more functional than picking heavy shit up off the floor as in a deadlift? And anyone that can squat their bodyweight for a set of 5 has a pretty solid core. I believe that training for performance rather than appearance is more effective and, with proper diet, aesthetics will follow. And yes, Fastenoughforyou, I was having a little fun with my rant and threw around absolutes. Just having some fun at the expense of Pee 90 Times.

. A properly performed squat will hit the quads, hamstrings, adducters, calves, shoulders, and your "core". 

That's what I thought as well. However a properly performed squat will develope your quads to a much greater degree thatn your adducter's and calves. This is fine if you're a body builder or a power lifter,  but you will soon see this imbalance surface as a runner(i.e shin splints, ITBS). Hip abbducters/adductors are *key* to keeping the knee's tracking properly and strong flexible calves are key to prevening lower leg injuries. The ol push/pull whole body workout left me with a serious muscle imbalance.

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

i sacrificed the gift

I think EGH3 deadlifts.
          Robot House Recovery Drink Protocol:
          Under 70 Degrees: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
          Over 70 Degrees: Dougfish Head 60 Minute IPA

That's what I thought as well. However a properly performed squat will develope your quads to a much greater degree thatn your adducter's and calves. This is fine if you're a body builder or a power lifter,  but you will soon see this imbalance surface as a runner(i.e shin splints, ITBS). Hip abbducters/adductors are *key* to keeping the knee's tracking properly and strong flexible calves are key to prevening lower leg injuries. The ol push/pull whole body workout left me with a serious muscle imbalance.

You are correct that if you do the high bar, oly squat a lot that you'll get knee issues. Knees slilding forward out over the toes is a sure recipe for knee injuries. I think we have different notions of what a properly performed squat is. A high bar (bar on top of the traps), where the back is more vertical and head is looking up is very quad dominant. A low bar (bar on the spine of the scapula) where the back is more horizontal and you look down is more balanced and nails the hamstrings, hips and adducters more.  SquatRx on YouTube shows the difference really well. Starting Strength has 60 pages dedicated to the squat too. I had a case of runner's knee at one point too and when I learned the low bar squat and how to drive with the hips from the bottom, knee issues disappeared. And I never have back, hip, or ITBS problems. It's trickier to learn but makes a huge difference. Happy New Year. 

Intentionally Blank

I did the first workout today, and have a few thoughts.  I did chest & back and the ab ripper.  I can't do even one pull up, so I used resistance bands.  I think it is going to take a little while for me to figure out what combination of bands to use.  The exercises seemed either too easy or too hard as I kept fiddling with the resistance.  The pushups were fine.  On the dvd, they'd do 30 or so.  I would do 10-15, and then twiddle my thumbs a bit waiting for the next workout.  The diamond pushups were impossible.

I also didn't write down the number of reps I did on everything.  I may do that eventually, but for now I want to get used to what I am doing.

As for the ab ripper, most of the exercises involving laying back on the floor and coming all the way up were impossible for me.  I couldn't do even one of some of those.  I thought my abs were pretty strong, but I've done mostly crunches and leg lifts.  I'm not sure if it's because I've had two kids that my abs are so weak when sitting all the way up, or if I have been neglecting them more than I thought.

I think the eating will go fine. Not sure how long I'll stay in the high protein/low carb phase.  I want to keep running during the program, so I'll need more carbs.

I did my first p90x today too. I assume you are also having a difficult time lifting your arms up to type sruiz? Hopefully it will get better.
                xor

and the ingredients in Shakeology would be pretty tough to piece together without spending $10 a day on supplements.

Are those ingredients actually important?

I do get a lot from food but I really do need at least a protein shake.

Why?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why?

+1 x 2

Bugs

I did the first workout today, and have a few thoughts.  I did chest & back and the ab ripper.  I can't do even one pull up, so I used resistance bands.  I think it is going to take a little while for me to figure out what combination of bands to use.  The exercises seemed either too easy or too hard as I kept fiddling with the resistance. 

sruiz, do you have access to a gym w. pull-up assisted machine? I feel this is a much better way to get better at pull-ups than the bands. The workout is pretty easy to simulate at a gym, you don't need the DVD.

Bugs

Kimmie

When I did the pull-ups, I used  a chair to assist me.  I'm not sure if that's an option for you.

Why?

They are important to me.  There are your normal vitamins, a super fruit blend, a probiotic blend, an enzyme blend, some grasses, 15 grams of protein and much more.  In stead of a chi latte from starbucks I drink this shake. Plus, I really like the greenberry flavor a lot.

As far as getting the extra protein I usually have a protein shake with organic peanut butter about 9:30 or 10 pm.  I know most people do not eat that late but I need it.  Sometimes I just eat some almonds or some veggies it just depends.

I did my first p90x today too. I assume you are also having a difficult time lifting your arms up to type sruiz? Hopefully it will get better.

Yes it does get better.  At least you didn't toss your cookies like I did on day 1.  LOL

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In stead of a chi latte from starbucks I drink this shake.

Is there any evidence that the shake is any healthier that the latte?

Are either any better than real food?

Intentionally Blank

Thanks for the pull-up advice.  I am doing the program with my SO, so he used the door pul-up bar while I used the bands.  It's worth considering going to Y to use the asssisted machine.