Gatorade Propel Fitness Water (Read 1455 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I had my hubby pick some of this up for me to try, since I'm not a real big fan of drinking sugar (I'd rather get my carbs from lower glycemic index fruits, veggies, and whole grains...processed sugars seem to set off my hypoglycemia a lot worse), which Gatorade is still pretty high in. I figured it would be kind of a lighter version of Gatorade--without as much sugar or food dye. I was a bit saddened to discover that it has no electrolytes, just a few vitamins. It doesn't taste bad and was very refreshing, but is mostly just fancy (and expensive) flavored bottled water.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I got some of this as a freebee at the end of a race once. It was delicious! I'd been having trouble getting myself to drink plain water (I'm a diet soda freak!) so I thought about buying some. It's pretty expensive though, even compared to soda! But if they're ever handing it out again I'll be sure to snag an extra bottle...

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, if it gets you to drink water, then it's a good deal! But Fruit2O is a lot cheaper and just as tasty--also sugar-free/calorie free. It was good, but I don't think we'd buy it again, mostly because of the price.

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I still have a bottle of Propel sitting in my pantry that I got in one of the races. I don't like the after taste of the artificial sweetener. More importantly, I'm a big fan of drinking sugar solutions :-) I don't think that drinking sugar solutions on a run would lead to hypoglycemia. I too avoid eating foods that have a high GI. Cereal for breakfast is a big no-no. Gatorade on the run never gave me problems. I think it's because the body absorbs the sugars faster than it can build up in the blood stream. Besides, if I want water that tastes like juice, I just go for the juice :-)
            Cereal for breakfast is a big no-no. Gatorade on the run never gave me problems. I think it's because the body absorbs the sugars faster than it can build up in the blood stream. Besides, if I want water that tastes like juice, I just go for the juice :-)
            I'm with you on the juice thing. Give me juice or give me water, don't confuse them!! I just can't get past the taste of Gatorade though...yuck! Dead It is too salty, no matter the flavor. But no cereal for breakfast?!?! I can't imagine. If I didn't have kids to encourage healthy eating in, I'd probably eat cereal for breakfast, lunch & dinner!! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE fruits & veggies & probably eat more than most Americans, but I LOVE my cereal. I even have my own secret stash of nasty, unhealthy sugar cereals that I eat once in a while. The kids aren't allowed to have those at my house, but occassionally when they are at their dad's or at school, you'll find me eating a bowl of Lucky Charms or Cocoa Pebbles!! Big grin
            So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gatorade on the run never gave me problems. I think it's because the body absorbs the sugars faster than it can build up in the blood stream.
              That's a good point. Maybe I should try bringing Gatorade on my runs and reserve plain water for afterwards. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I still have a bottle of Propel sitting in my pantry that I got in one of the races. I don't like the after taste of the artificial sweetener. More importantly, I'm a big fan of drinking sugar solutions :-) I don't think that drinking sugar solutions on a run would lead to hypoglycemia. I too avoid eating foods that have a high GI. Cereal for breakfast is a big no-no. Gatorade on the run never gave me problems. I think it's because the body absorbs the sugars faster than it can build up in the blood stream. Besides, if I want water that tastes like juice, I just go for the juice :-)
                <cereal>>> I'd have to agree with backroadrunner - cereal anytime! I figured out a while ago that when I just had cereal for breakfast I got REALLY hungry about 2 hours later. Now that I'm a big girl and don't have to sit still in school anymore (unlike when I was a starving teenager!!!), I've found a solution to this "problem." I still eat my cereal when I wake up, but I take a couple of packets of instant oatmeal with me to work and use the hot water from the coffee-maker to make a filling snack to tide me over until lunch! It works!</cereal>

Roads were made for journeys...

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I can't eat cereal by itself because I would get hypoglycemia an hour or two later. I learned the hard way because that's what they would serve in public schools in NY. You get a bowl of corn flakes that's large enough for about 3 pigeons, and a little carton of milk. If you're lucky, you might get an over riped banana. They might have other breakfast fares, but they're completely sugar based. By 10 or 10:30, I would start feeling hungry. I would get really light headed and alternating between feeling hot and cold. My hands would shake uncontrollably. It's not a good feeling when you have to sit in class with lunch still an hour away. There's an outcry right now in the public school system here in Boston, that junk food should be banned from schools because they're making kids fat. I haven't seen the breakfasts and lunches they serve, but I doubt they've changed much. The issue is more complex than just junk food. The school meals themselves do not provide kids with the proper nutrients but that's a totally different topic. Long story short, I now avoiding eating cereal alone. I have to have lots of protein and some fat to go along with it to stabilize my blood sugars. Incidentally, I was talking with my friend last night during our run, and he was drinking Carnation Instant Breakfast Mix on the run. He read in "Performance Nutrition for Runners" that recovery should start as you're running. By fueling your runs with what the body needs after the run, you would reduce recovery time. I think it all depends on your motivation for running. If you're running to maintain physical fitness, or to be competitive, then drinking energy drinks should be part of your workout. On the other than, if you're running to lose weight, then you should be cutting out calories wherever you can. To make things even more complicated, the more I read on the latest running studies, the more I think there is no silver bullet. We're all individuals and our bodies respond differently. You'll just have to figure out what works for you.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think it all depends on your motivation for running. If you're running to maintain physical fitness, or to be competitive, then drinking energy drinks should be part of your workout. On the other than, if you're running to lose weight, then you should be cutting out calories wherever you can. To make things even more complicated, the more I read on the latest running studies, the more I think there is no silver bullet. We're all individuals and our bodies respond differently. You'll just have to figure out what works for you.
                    Get outta my head! Big grin Eryn/backroadrunner has seen me go from a size 14/16 down to my present size 6 (I was a size 4, but I have gotten lazy in the last year or so and not as careful about what and how much I eat--so I run) thanks to eliminating a lot of starches (and I've mostly maintained my losses for almost 3 years). I have personally been stunned to learn just how ill my "healthy" diet had made me for so many years. Earlier weight loss efforts had been the low-fat/high-carb route and I would lose weight, but could never keep it off for more than about 6 months. By the end of the day I wanted to eat my arm off and had minimal energy. I couldn't maintain any sort of workout program, either. But give me protein, fat (high intake by most people's standards, but my blood levels are excellent--my MIL is a dietary fat-phobe and has horrible cholesterol and high triglycerides...and she is just as active as I am and has been all of her adult life), and moderate carb intake (mostly in the form of unprocessed grains and veggies/salad--at least 4 servings most days) and I'm bouncing off the walls with energy and my food cravings are mostly non-existent. You're so right that there's no formula that will work for everyone. It took me a long time to find what works *for me* and now that I am doing more aerobic activity I need to keep adjusting my food intake to get just the right amount of carbs for needed energy, without setting off my cravings and getting excess that pretty much instantly stores as fat. I think a lot of it is genetics. Hypoglycemia and diabetes run rampant on my dad's side of the family--I think I am one of the few that has gotten things under control before needing medical intervention. I'm also one of the few in the family that doesn't shun exercise, so that helps. k

~ Sarah Kay